"100 things to go first" list - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

"100 things to go first" list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1341 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
During the Sarajevo Civil War, toilet paper was tradeable at over $20 per roll. Of course, it'd have to be something pretty good to trade away my personal supply of Charmin! Maybe we need a "private" supply and a trading supply...
Just yesterday I inventoried our TP stash. We have 128+ rolls. Getting low. EVERY time I see it on sale, I buy it. It will not go bad, and it WILL be used. In Sarajevo Civil War dollars, it would be worth better than $2500!! AWESOME! LOL.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:36 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2228 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 5174

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Wheat and oats. The "rolled oats" that you feed the horse and buy in 100 ;lb bags is the same rolled oats you get in a Quaker Oats box for 25X the price.

Dried beans, brown rice and corn as well. They keep forever if properly stored, and provide good nutrition.

If no meat is available, corn meal and boiled pinto or red beans eaten together make up a complete protein. Same for black beans and brown rice.

Don't forget rechargeable batteries and a solar charger either.
Interesting, cornbread and pintos were what was for dinner quite often when I was young. It was a staple for a lot of people for many generations. The same goes for black beans and rice. That makes perfect sense when combined with what you posted.

It constantly amazes me at how there seems to be much more to traditional things, like meals, than just tradition alone.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #33

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Default Feelings vs. Facts Will Kill You and Your Family, Albeit Slowly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Wheat and oats. The "rolled oats" that you feed the horse and buy in 100 ;lb bags is the same rolled oats you get in a Quaker Oats box for 25X the price.

Dried beans, brown rice and corn as well. They keep forever if properly stored, and provide good nutrition.

If no meat is available, corn meal and boiled pinto or red beans eaten together make up a complete protein. Same for black beans and brown rice.

Don't forget rechargeable batteries and a solar charger either.
Brown rice goes rancid in months -- does not last years. Buy parboiled, converted, or golden rice for storage, nutrition, and fastest cooking. You're also wrong about the protein -- sorry. Beans do not offer enough.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Just yesterday I inventoried our TP stash. We have 128+ rolls. Getting low. EVERY time I see it on sale, I buy it. It will not go bad, and it WILL be used. In Sarajevo Civil War dollars, it would be worth better than $2500!! AWESOME! LOL.
Dude, one roll per person per month (if it ain't the super soft crap designed to fall apart like Charmin). 128 rolls. Really? Four people almost three years!? I wonder how much else you have expecting to go that long...

Old 05-06-2013, 02:06 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
After going through that list I'm having trouble with the rational behind parts of it. The list seems pretty good as far as what it is which is the "100 items to go first", but I wouldn't necessarily use it as a list for items needed for prepping. The majority of the items seem to be for a short term disaster such as the generator. TEOW stuff would require a very different list. And the list would be over kill if you were using it to stock up on items for a short term disaster. So while the list seems pretty accurate, I'm not sure about its value?

Just my .02
Yeah, it's sorta Mom's shopping list for Hurricane Sandy wiping out the power and fuel in the northeast for two or three weeks. Still some neat reminders.

Oil by the way isn't for keeping your steaks from sticking to the pan during SHTF. 1/4 to 1/3 of your calories need to come from fats to be healthy long term. Oil, like Olive Oil, is too special to be wasted in emergencies -- you EAT IT!

Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
You're also wrong about the protein -- sorry. Beans do not offer enough.
He was right about the beans combined with cornmeal or rice (I just looked it up).

http://www.livestrong.com/article/402969-are-pinto-beans-a-complete-protein/

Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 AM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Yeah, it's sorta Mom's shopping list for Hurricane Sandy wiping out the power and fuel in the northeast for two or three weeks. Still some neat reminders.

Oil by the way isn't for keeping your steaks from sticking to the pan during SHTF. 1/4 to 1/3 of your calories need to come from fats to be healthy long term. Oil, like Olive Oil, is too special to be wasted in emergencies -- you EAT IT!
The list definitely got me to thinking, and it was pretty accurate for what it was which is the items to go first. So it makes sense that it would be Mom's shopping list for an emergency because those are the things that would go first.

You're dead on about fat and oil. I've learned about that first hand. I had to cut out all fat when my gail bladder quit working which created problems. I was able to digest fat again after it was removed but I was in very poor health. Now I'm allergic to mammals which has really cut down on the fat I can consume. My cholesterol levels are too low and to help with that I fry all my fried foods (fish and chicken) in olive oil.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10363 Times on 5533 Posts
Likes Given: 22218

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis

Oil, like Olive Oil, is too special to be wasted in emergencies -- you EAT IT!
Mmmm. Oil.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #39

Liked 181 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 20

My selection of 100 things to go first: Obama, Biden, Kerry, the 53 democrats in the senate, obama's two appointments to the Supreme Court, Holder, Napalitano, Carney, Bernanki and any 39 members of obama's administration.

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln
People Like This 
Old 05-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #40
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker
After going through that list I'm having trouble with the rational behind parts of it. The list seems pretty good as far as what it is which is the "100 items to go first", but I wouldn't necessarily use it as a list for items needed for prepping. The majority of the items seem to be for a short term disaster such as the generator. TEOW stuff would require a very different list. And the list would be over kill if you were using it to stock up on items for a short term disaster. So while the list seems pretty accurate, I'm not sure about its value?

Just my .02
The list was compiled by a guy that interviewed survivors of disasters, most recently the Sarajevo Civil War. These were things that disappeared first and fastest - that is all the list comprises. However, I thought it an indispensable checklist because I did not realize that all of this would disappear from store shelves in hours, or three days, at the outside. By the time some people think to "stock up," it may all be gone. So, if I look at the list and think,"Geez, no vegetable oil? I only have a dinky bottle - how would I cook?" So it gets me to buy a couple of gallon bottles. But if I see an item on the list and think, "What do I care? I don't use it anyway!" Then no harm done and I'm good. No one is saying this is a prepper's list and to go out and buy 25 of everything on it!

Secondly, it shows the items that people covet in a disaster, and therefore what is MOST likely to hold value and be tradeable as barter or currency. I don't believe someone with 120+ rolls of toilet paper is planning for rampant diarrhea! He's going to use half or more as $20 bills when he needs seeds, a sharpening stone for his tools, or something he didn't plan for. By storing barterable goods, you acknowledge that you can't prep for everything, and it may be necessary to trade with others for goods. When everyone is using leaves in the outhouse, the man with 120 rolls of toilet paper is king!!!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 05-06-2013 at 12:20 PM.
clr8ter Likes This