"100 things to go first" list - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > "100 things to go first" list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
You can apply and without cost (or very minimal like $25) obtain a federal license to distill ethanol for fuel. The big catch is that you need a building to house your distillation operation that is not connected to and does not have people living in it. Also you MUST denature your ethanol so that is not consumable else you are violating laws and are subject to some serious fines. I'm not suggesting or encouraging illegal behavior but just clarifying that if your purpose is fuel which in a SHTF situation would be an incredibly valuable commidity, it's actually possible to do legally. May as well start the paperwork now so that you don't have to try and get equipment after it's really difficult.

/I'm no lawyer, do your own legal legwork and check local/state laws in addition to federal laws to make sure anything you attempt is on the up and up.
You're right. We (my miscreant friends and I) looked into buying a still to distill grasses for ethanol and it's certainly possible to get one and use it legally. But you need to be sure you're making fuel and not kickapoo joy juice.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2872 Times on 1578 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Do not buy flour or mixes that have yeast in them. It can turn toxic and kill you.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Do not buy flour or mixes that have yeast in them. It can turn toxic and kill you.
Can you elaborate? I assume red or white wheat berries are OK, and so's regular flour to store. Do you mean pre-packaged bread mixes? I thought those usually kept the yeast separate.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Pancake mixes are the worst culprit. Do not keep any past the use date. Any flour product that has the yeast premixed should not be used past the due date. Flour products that have the yeast in a separate package are ok. There was a recent case where a mother used an old box of pancake mix and almost killed her daughter. I am not sure of the specific toxin. My wife makes everything from scratch so no problems.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #15

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've put a bit of thought into distilling fuel.
Y'all know what one of the biggest "problem" plants in the south is? Kudzu. I wonder if ethanol can be distilled from kudzu in reliable quality/quantity.

I can see whole kudzu plantations right now. No maintenance, no upkeep.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Pancake mixes are the worst culprit. Do not keep any past the use date. Any flour product that has the yeast premixed should not be used past the due date. Flour products that have the yeast in a separate package are ok. There was a recent case where a mother used an old box of pancake mix and almost killed her daughter. I am not sure of the specific toxin. My wife makes everything from scratch so no problems.
I have never had or seen a mix with yeast mixed in. Yeast in a mix has a very short life span. I have never had yeast in pancakes either and I have never heard it being able to kill you or make you sick.
Now making wine and bottling it in clean Corona beer bottle's then over indulging, that will make you sick.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #17
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Y'all know what one of the biggest "problem" plants in the south is? Kudzu. I wonder if ethanol can be distilled from kudzu in reliable quality/quantity.

Starch (plant material) can be turned into sugar easily enough and yeast really love sugar.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #18

Liked 1960 Times on 1032 Posts
Likes Given: 4288

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post

They actually have those here in NC, they make all kinds of textile stuff with it (rope, baskets, art etc.) People have been eating the stuff for years as well.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #19
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There is a high school senior that has been working on kudzu projects for the last 4 years. He has won many awards. He is currently working on distilling kudzu for a source of ethanol.
Kudzu Considered for Potential As Fuel Source : NPR

Old 10-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #20

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
There is a high school senior that has been working on kudzu projects for the last 4 years. He has won many awards. He is currently working on distilling kudzu for a source of ethanol.
Kudzu Considered for Potential As Fuel Source : NPR
Oh that bastard. Just goes to show when you have an idea, you should run with it.

I thought about the laundry machine that washes and dries your clothes in just one machine, about 3 years before Maytag or Whirlpool put it on the market.

I also thought of the on demand water heater, about 1 year before they became mainstream (I think I was late on that one though, and probably got the idea from seeing one without realizing what it was.)