Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > "100 things to go first" list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #131
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8045 Times on 4640 Posts
Likes Given: 10381

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee View Post
how about you point out these "contradictions" that you THINK I have posted. :-) the odds are 100 to one that they don't exist, other than by means of your lack of experience/knowledge to understand what I said. I've got 10's of thousands of hours of study, practice and thinking about this stuff, guys. I've not been distracted by wife, kids, etc, and I've been at it for over 45 years now. Very few jobs that I've had required all that much attention being paid to them, once you learned them. :-)
Well, In this one for starters you portray the homeless in a very bleak light, one that I strongly disagree with based on the homeless I know. You portray them as opportunists who will stiff you when they can and then deserve a beat-down "because they earned it".

Quote:
u sound like a millionaire. Go for it. Money doesn't come that easily for me. Also, I know way too many dozens of homeless, for instance, who are where they are because they are lazy, drunk, dopers. Far more often than you are aware, that "victim" did something that would have enraged anyone (like default on a debt). Now if it's a little kid, and the attacker is obviously not the parent, and is way out of line for it to be "discipline" that's different, and while I probably WOULD intervene, I'd not hang around and wait to be crucified by this wonderful society of ours, either.
Or here you put a price on your willingness to help someone in need and you question an individual on their choices and making an assumption that they are legally allowed to carry and that they can afford a gun to carry.

You are essentially saying that a person must pay you before you will help them, or at least be able to pay for your defense which amounts to the same thing. You are also saying that if a person doesn't carry they are left to their own defenses even when people (you) are there and you could help.

Quote:
I'd ask the victim if he had the $50,000 that it would cost me to shoot somebody in his defense? If not, I'd ask him why he was not ccwing a gun himself?
Since both of these posts were made in a thread on how you would act to a homeless man getting the crap beat out of him, the impression you give is one critical of homeless people in general and a serious lack of empathy on your part.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 AM   #132

Quote:
I would just have gotten the hell OUT of Argentina or Bosnia. :-) the only "preps" needed for such localized stuff are some gold coins, a pistol, and a bit of camping gear. Really, why would you stay, for years, in such a rathole, when moving 1000 miles or so would improve your life by a factor of 10 or more? sheesh.

Now that we know something of your life's experiences it is clear that you would be one of the people who would survive while doing without. Most of us here probably would not fare so well (myself included perhaps) due to that lack of life experience. On the other hand, there are some of us who have in one way or another been able to prepare in the way we see best (I, for example, am prepared for an earthquake, since that is the most likely scenario here in the San Francisco Bay Area), and such a scenario would not necessarily require leaving my home. A person of meager needs would obviously have far less keeping him back from bugging out- whether it be from Bosnia, Argentina, or New Orleans or the Bay Area. That's what works of for you and very well, but knock off the attacks on everybody else for thinking they way they do.

If you want to change our minds try using positive persuasion rather than biting criticism.

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #133
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 902 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
no, you can't. You just think lots of pointless, burdensome stuff is of value. After a year of shtf, 90+% of the population will be dead. Tons of stuff will be lying around for the taking. So why bother to stockpile any of that sort of thing?
Like hell I can't. To answer your question, go re-read the OP. You did read the OP, right?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #134
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
What about all of the stuff that was consumed while not being replenished? You average grocery store will be flat out empty within a few days of a transportation failure of any magnitude. Just ask anyone who lives in hurricane country.
Just look at New Orleans when Katrina hit.

While I do not agree with forcing people to leave their homes, staying home isn't always the best option. And when an area is flooded like that, unless you have a boat right next to your house with everything loaded on it, when the time comes that you wake up and realize you should have left earlier, your food supply would be damn near gone, with no way to get more (stores/homes would either already have been cleaned out, or flooded, which would cause most of the items to be inedible).

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #135
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Do you live in a remote region in the wilderness? Or suburban area?
Would have to be a very remote area, to make sure that no disease gets him.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 07-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #136
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I can't think of 100 things that are worth having around, if shtf. Not, at least, for the first year or so. I'm going to just "hole up" and let the fighting, fires and diseases just pass me by. You guys can have all of that.
Do you have an isolated underground bunker with air and water filtration systems, and at least a years worth of food and medical supplies? What about a toilet that flushes far enough away from you? A shower? If not, you need to take a step into reality.

Quote:
no, you can't. You just think lots of pointless, burdensome stuff is of value. After a year of shtf, 90+% of the population will be dead. Tons of stuff will be lying around for the taking. So why bother to stockpile any of that sort of thing?
There are many things people will take that are absolutely not pointless, even a few things that aren't "burdensome" (well, maybe to you, but that's not relevant).

Now, how do you figure that the death rate after a year will be 90+%? Seriously, I would like to know how you came across that number. I mean, I'm extremely cynical, but even I don't buy that number.

Yes, tons of stuff will be left behind, stuff that no one will want to take, because there is no reason to take it. Which means, those looking to restock their supplies will ignore it as well.

People that plan for a worst case scenario, generally stock up on non perishable emergency items, as well as food and medicine that have a fairly long shelf life. Yes, some people are less smart and get already put together kits that wouldn't last a weekend camping trip.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #137

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

your "impression" does NOT constititue a contradicion on my part. It just means that because you don't happen to like what i said, you want to discredit me in some way. Contradictions can't exist. When you think that you have found one, reexamine your premises, cause one of them is incorrect. (ayn rand). You run over there, help them if you want, get locked up, sued, etc. that is your perogative. I have every right to not do so, and If you don't like it, TOUGH.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #138

Quote:
your "impression" does NOT constititue a contradicion on my part. It just means that because you don't happen to like what i said, you want to discredit me in some way. Contradictions can't exist. When you think that you have found one, reexamine your premises, cause one of them is incorrect. (ayn rand). You run over there, help them if you want, get locked up, sued, etc. that is your perogative. I have every right to not do so, and If you don't like it, TOUGH.
Read what I wrote more carefully. I did not say that I had the impression, I said the "you leave the impression". There is a huge distinction and it appears that I am not alone in my interpretation of what you have posted. I am not trying to discredit you in any way, much the opposite in fact, as I gave you full credit in the post immediately after.

Lighten up dude!

Quote:
People Like This 
Old 07-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #139
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 336 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 666

I said I wasn't going to post to this thread again but I do visit it on occasion.
I see it has devolved into something totally unrecognizable from the original post.
I am sorry to see that. I'm not feeling up to a debate on the posts about the homeless or what might be left laying around after a shtf event.
I meant the OP as an informational "guide" posted by someone that had lived through a horrible period in Bosnia.
Please don't turn it into a platform for your personal prejudices.

remember Jericho.

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:43 AM   #140
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
I said I wasn't going to post to this thread again but I do visit it on occasion.
I see it has devolved into something totally unrecognizable from the original post.
I am sorry to see that. I'm not feeling up to a debate on the posts about the homeless or what might be left laying around after a shtf event.
I meant the OP as an informational "guide" posted by someone that had lived through a horrible period in Bosnia.
Please don't turn it into a platform for your personal prejudices.

remember Jericho.
Unfortunately, this is what happens when you post something and comments are allowed.

Aside from the various ways that it could come about, what happened in Jericho is how things would most likely actually pan out.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere