"100 things to go first" list - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > "100 things to go first" list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #111
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10700

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
The list was originally posted( in another forum) by a survivor of the war in Bosnia I believe. I found it to be informational when I first read it. He wrote about his experiences surviving that horrible mess. It was never meant to be a shopping list. Just a heads up on what "disappeared first".
When I put it here, my wife and I were well on our way becoming self sufficent. Since then, she has passed away from cancer ( 4-1-13) and my preps dont mean much anymore. Keep your loved ones close to your heart .
From the looks of things its going to get rough out there.
Widowmaker,
Mt deepest condolences on the loss of your wife and partner. I apologize if my earlier post seemed insensitive, that was not my intention. My hope is that your wife and you did not get blindsided by her cancer and had time to prepare for her early departure from this world. I know that so often people are given a grim diagnosis and they do not always have time to prepare for the inevitable. I lost a friend just over a year ago who was a doomsday prepper, he was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) in 2010 and told he would live another 4 years. In that time he tried to get his things in order, most importantly his collection of preparations. My sons and I were helping him in this task and one night after several hours of work sorting through stuff and loading it into my truck to be dealt with he said "All of these preparations for SHTF or Armageddon so that my family can survive anything. All for nothing because I won't be here to use it."

He died unexpectedly just 2 weeks later. We were all stunned as we thought he would be around for another two years. Some of his last words to us were "Next time!"

I hope you and your wife did not have this happen to you.

I would urge you to continue forward in making your preparations. it is obvious that you enjoyed doing this with your wife, and I am sure she would enjoy it if you continued enjoying life by keeping her memory close to your heart.

Vikingdad

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #112
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 713

Default widowmakers thanks to you.

I beg the mods indulgence on this post. If it is inappropiate here please delete or move it for me. Thanks.
I want to thank all of you for your condolences and good wishes. It really does mean a lot to me. Bless you all.
This might just hit close to home and make our preps that much more important. I didnt write this and dont know the author but I wish him/her well.
This will be my last post to this thread . Thank all of you.

TWILIGHT YEARS
As I approach my twilight years, I am struck by the inevitability that the party must end. And one clear, cold morning after I 'm gone, my spouse will awaken in the warmth of our bedroom and be struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't "anymore."
No more hugs, no more special moments to celebrate together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more "just one minut...e."Sometimes, what we care about the most gets all used up and goes away, never to return before we can say good-bye, or say "I love you."
So while we have it, its best we love it, care for it, fix it when it's broken and heal it when it's sick.
This is true for marriage.....And old cars, and children with bad report cards, and dogs with bad hips, and aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. Some things we keep -- like a best friend who moved away or a son-in-law after divorce. There are just some things that make us happy, no matter what. Life is important, like people we know who are special. And so, we keep them close!
Suppose one morning you never wake up, do all your friends know how You really feel? The important thing is to let every one of your friends know your true feelings, even if you think they don't love you back.

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

People Like This 
Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 AM   #113

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Quote:
"100 things to go first" list
One of the first things to go is the stock market. It "went" today!

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5713 Times on 3229 Posts
Likes Given: 5140

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post

TWILIGHT YEARS
As I approach my twilight years, I am struck by the inevitability that the party must end. And one clear, cold morning after I 'm gone, my spouse will awaken in the warmth of our bedroom and be struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't "anymore."
No more hugs, no more special moments to celebrate together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more "just one minut...e."Sometimes, what we care about the most gets all used up and goes away, never to return before we can say good-bye, or say "I love you."
So while we have it, its best we love it, care for it, fix it when it's broken and heal it when it's sick.
This is true for marriage.....And old cars, and children with bad report cards, and dogs with bad hips, and aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. Some things we keep -- like a best friend who moved away or a son-in-law after divorce. There are just some things that make us happy, no matter what. Life is important, like people we know who are special. And so, we keep them close!
Suppose one morning you never wake up, do all your friends know how You really feel? The important thing is to let every one of your friends know your true feelings, even if you think they don't love you back.

Well said.

Winston Churchill
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #115

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I can't think of 100 things that are worth having around, if shtf. Not, at least, for the first year or so. I'm going to just "hole up" and let the fighting, fires and diseases just pass me by. You guys can have all of that.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #116
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee View Post
I can't think of 100 things that are worth having around, if shtf. Not, at least, for the first year or so. I'm going to just "hole up" and let the fighting, fires and diseases just pass me by. You guys can have all of that.
Do you live in a remote region in the wilderness? Or suburban area?

Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #117

Liked 984 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

HUH. I can think of WAY MORE than 100 things worth having around. Doesn't mean I have/will have them......

Old 07-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #118

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

no, you can't. You just think lots of pointless, burdensome stuff is of value. After a year of shtf, 90+% of the population will be dead. Tons of stuff will be lying around for the taking. So why bother to stockpile any of that sort of thing?

Old 07-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #119
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
no, you can't. You just think lots of pointless, burdensome stuff is of value. After a year of shtf, 90+% of the population will be dead. Tons of stuff will be lying around for the taking. So why bother to stockpile any of that sort of thing?
you're just a beacon of sunshine in the darkness, aren't you?

Old 07-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #120
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10700

Quote:
What about all of the stuff that was consumed while not being replenished? You average grocery store will be flat out empty within a few days of a transportation failure of any magnitude. Just ask anyone who lives in hurricane country.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Mason609 Likes This