"100 things to go first" list - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > "100 things to go first" list

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 02:35 AM   #111
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,968
Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
The list was originally posted( in another forum) by a survivor of the war in Bosnia I believe. I found it to be informational when I first read it. He wrote about his experiences surviving that horrible mess. It was never meant to be a shopping list. Just a heads up on what "disappeared first".
When I put it here, my wife and I were well on our way becoming self sufficent. Since then, she has passed away from cancer ( 4-1-13) and my preps dont mean much anymore. Keep your loved ones close to your heart .
From the looks of things its going to get rough out there.
Widowmaker,
Mt deepest condolences on the loss of your wife and partner. I apologize if my earlier post seemed insensitive, that was not my intention. My hope is that your wife and you did not get blindsided by her cancer and had time to prepare for her early departure from this world. I know that so often people are given a grim diagnosis and they do not always have time to prepare for the inevitable. I lost a friend just over a year ago who was a doomsday prepper, he was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) in 2010 and told he would live another 4 years. In that time he tried to get his things in order, most importantly his collection of preparations. My sons and I were helping him in this task and one night after several hours of work sorting through stuff and loading it into my truck to be dealt with he said "All of these preparations for SHTF or Armageddon so that my family can survive anything. All for nothing because I won't be here to use it."

He died unexpectedly just 2 weeks later. We were all stunned as we thought he would be around for another two years. Some of his last words to us were "Next time!"

I hope you and your wife did not have this happen to you.

I would urge you to continue forward in making your preparations. it is obvious that you enjoyed doing this with your wife, and I am sure she would enjoy it if you continued enjoying life by keeping her memory close to your heart.

Vikingdad
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:17 AM   #112
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Great State of Jefferson
Posts: 502
Liked 361 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 713

Default widowmakers thanks to you.

I beg the mods indulgence on this post. If it is inappropiate here please delete or move it for me. Thanks.
I want to thank all of you for your condolences and good wishes. It really does mean a lot to me. Bless you all.
This might just hit close to home and make our preps that much more important. I didnt write this and dont know the author but I wish him/her well.
This will be my last post to this thread . Thank all of you.





TWILIGHT YEARS
As I approach my twilight years, I am struck by the inevitability that the party must end. And one clear, cold morning after I 'm gone, my spouse will awaken in the warmth of our bedroom and be struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't "anymore."
No more hugs, no more special moments to celebrate together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more "just one minut...e."Sometimes, what we care about the most gets all used up and goes away, never to return before we can say good-bye, or say "I love you."
So while we have it, its best we love it, care for it, fix it when it's broken and heal it when it's sick.
This is true for marriage.....And old cars, and children with bad report cards, and dogs with bad hips, and aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. Some things we keep -- like a best friend who moved away or a son-in-law after divorce. There are just some things that make us happy, no matter what. Life is important, like people we know who are special. And so, we keep them close!
Suppose one morning you never wake up, do all your friends know how You really feel? The important thing is to let every one of your friends know your true feelings, even if you think they don't love you back.

__________________

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

widowmaker is online now  
5
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:37 AM   #113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hiwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cleator,AZ
Posts: 3,314
Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Default

Quote:
"100 things to go first" list
One of the first things to go is the stock market. It "went" today!
__________________

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

hiwall is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,317
Liked 5713 Times on 3229 Posts
Likes Given: 5140

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post




TWILIGHT YEARS
As I approach my twilight years, I am struck by the inevitability that the party must end. And one clear, cold morning after I 'm gone, my spouse will awaken in the warmth of our bedroom and be struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't "anymore."
No more hugs, no more special moments to celebrate together, no more phone calls just to chat, no more "just one minut...e."Sometimes, what we care about the most gets all used up and goes away, never to return before we can say good-bye, or say "I love you."
So while we have it, its best we love it, care for it, fix it when it's broken and heal it when it's sick.
This is true for marriage.....And old cars, and children with bad report cards, and dogs with bad hips, and aging parents and grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. Some things we keep -- like a best friend who moved away or a son-in-law after divorce. There are just some things that make us happy, no matter what. Life is important, like people we know who are special. And so, we keep them close!
Suppose one morning you never wake up, do all your friends know how You really feel? The important thing is to let every one of your friends know your true feelings, even if you think they don't love you back.

Well said.
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
Mason609 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #115
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 88
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

I can't think of 100 things that are worth having around, if shtf. Not, at least, for the first year or so. I'm going to just "hole up" and let the fighting, fires and diseases just pass me by. You guys can have all of that.

__________________
bildee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #116
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Anna_Purna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,238
Liked 6747 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee View Post
I can't think of 100 things that are worth having around, if shtf. Not, at least, for the first year or so. I'm going to just "hole up" and let the fighting, fires and diseases just pass me by. You guys can have all of that.
Do you live in a remote region in the wilderness? Or suburban area?
__________________
Anna_Purna is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #117
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,270
Liked 984 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Default

HUH. I can think of WAY MORE than 100 things worth having around. Doesn't mean I have/will have them......

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #118
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 88
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

no, you can't. You just think lots of pointless, burdensome stuff is of value. After a year of shtf, 90+% of the population will be dead. Tons of stuff will be lying around for the taking. So why bother to stockpile any of that sort of thing?

__________________
bildee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #119
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21582 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee View Post
no, you can't. You just think lots of pointless, burdensome stuff is of value. After a year of shtf, 90+% of the population will be dead. Tons of stuff will be lying around for the taking. So why bother to stockpile any of that sort of thing?
you're just a beacon of sunshine in the darkness, aren't you?
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #120
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,968
Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bildee View Post
no, you can't. You just think lots of pointless, burdensome stuff is of value. After a year of shtf, 90+% of the population will be dead. Tons of stuff will be lying around for the taking. So why bother to stockpile any of that sort of thing?
What about all of the stuff that was consumed while not being replenished? You average grocery store will be flat out empty within a few days of a transportation failure of any magnitude. Just ask anyone who lives in hurricane country.
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
Mason609 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
"Do "Gun-Free" Zones Encourage School Shootings?" cnorman18 The Club House 26 04-17-2012 09:57 PM
Old Revolver - "Revolvers Dreadnought" - "Azul" - Anyone familiar? stelliott80 Revolver Handguns 3 07-13-2011 10:52 PM
Does Obama Have an "Enemies List"? CA357 Politics, Religion and Controversy 18 10-27-2009 09:46 PM
Your "list" of handguns. Bighead General Handgun Discussion 22 10-26-2009 06:58 AM
Witloe Remington 1858 New Model Army "Lee" & "Grant" bprevolver Blackpowder & Musket 0 09-25-2008 11:11 PM