Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > "100 things to go first" list

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #101
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsl
gee, I wonder how the Australian abos and Native americans ever got by without these 100 "must have" items, eh? I can't think of 100 things that I'd need, much less worry about other people buying them before I can. :-) The gear and food are cached already. Anyone who waits until the last minute to "stock up" deserves what will happen to them.

dunno where you've been, but the Abo's, some of them, were still living "stone age" well into the 20th century
I'll repeat this one more time: this is NOT a "must have" or even a "shopping" list. No one is saying you have to have ANY of it. It is simply a list of items that disappear from the shelves FIRST. IF you DO wish any of these items in a natural disaster or SHTF, the list is meant to help you not get caught unprepared. It is also secondarily helpful in showing you in what items other people place value and items that will be good to use for barter in those same situations. So, in conclusion, if you are perfectly comfortable with your preps, simply ignore this list. However, if you see this as an education in emergency consumerism as I do, pick and choose that which will make you most comfortable in a difficult situation and ignore the rest!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 06-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #102
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7667 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 9888

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttsl View Post
gee, I wonder how the Australian abos and Native americans ever got by without these 100 "must have" items, eh? I can't think of 100 things that I'd need, much less worry about other people buying them before I can. :-) The gear and food are cached already. Anyone who waits until the last minute to "stock up" deserves what will happen to them.

dunno where you've been, but the Abo's, some of them, were still living "stone age" well into the 20th century
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
I'll repeat this one more time: this is NOT a "must have" or even a "shopping" list. No one is saying you have to have ANY of it. It is simply a list of items that disappear from the shelves FIRST. IF you DO wish any of these items in a natural disaster or SHTF, the list is meant to help you not get caught unprepared. It is also secondarily helpful in showing you in what items other people place value and items that will be good to use for barter in those same situations. So, in conclusion, if you are perfectly comfortable with your preps, simply ignore this list. However, if you see this as an education in emergency consumerism as I do, pick and choose that which will make you most comfortable in a difficult situation and ignore the rest!
Ummm. OK, so aafter reading this I'm thinking I will head for TekGreg's bunker and leave the bugs, roots and stuff for ttsl. I figure he's gonna be eatin' large by himself if that's his plan!

I'm figuring that the native populations of various continents survived that way out of necessity rather than desire.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-13-2013, 12:58 AM   #103

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Sorry, "public assistance" for the "low information voters" is definitely one of the 1st 100 things to go. Not everyone's welcome to help themselves to others' bunkers...

Oh look, is that a Zombie!?

Old 06-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #104
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Ummm. OK, so aafter reading this I'm thinking I will head for TekGreg's bunker and leave the bugs, roots and stuff for ttsl. I figure he's gonna be eatin' large by himself if that's his plan!

I'm figuring that the native populations of various continents survived that way out of necessity rather than desire.
Vikingdad, bring own arms and ammo and we'll share the 100 things in comfort. ;-)

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 06-13-2013, 04:58 AM   #105
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7667 Times on 4425 Posts
Likes Given: 9888

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Vikingdad, bring own arms and ammo and we'll share the 100 things in comfort. ;-)
Well, if y'all are in Cali when the SHTF you are welcome to come here! Most of my preps are rudimentary though. I don't have many of the things on the list but mainly because I never use them in my daily life anyhow, so I have no reason to have a store of them. I do have enough guns and ammo that we could have some fun plinking and still have plenty to spare.

The only problem? Here in Cali it will be difficult to tell when the SHTF because things are so far gone the way it is!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
People Like This 
Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #106
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 291 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 587

The list was originally posted( in another forum) by a survivor of the war in Bosnia I believe. I found it to be informational when I first read it. He wrote about his experiences surviving that horrible mess. It was never meant to be a shopping list. Just a heads up on what "disappeared first".
When I put it here, my wife and I were well on our way becoming self sufficent. Since then, she has passed away from cancer ( 4-1-13) and my preps dont mean much anymore. Keep your loved ones close to your heart .
From the looks of things its going to get rough out there.

Keep your powder dry boys.
Things are gonna get rough.

People Like This 
Old 06-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #107
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1781 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Quote:
Originally Posted by widowmaker View Post
The list was originally posted( in another forum) by a survivor of the war in Bosnia I believe. I found it to be informational when I first read it. He wrote about his experiences surviving that horrible mess. It was never meant to be a shopping list. Just a heads up on what "disappeared first".
When I put it here, my wife and I were well on our way becoming self sufficent. Since then, she has passed away from cancer ( 4-1-13) and my preps dont mean much anymore. Keep your loved ones close to your heart .
My condolences, it is tough to lose a loved one.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #108
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 149 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Really sorry for your loss
Old 06-15-2013, 04:42 AM   #109
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your loss, Widowmaker. It's awful that you can't enjoy the prepping with your wife because, even though no one ever says it, our family and mainly our spouse is who we do it for. Keep your head above water and things will get better.

Oh, and you are absolutely correct about the list and its source.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #110

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Thanks for your original post and truly sorry to hear of your loss brother.