10% will die within 1 month of shtf. - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > 10% will die within 1 month of shtf.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 372

If you want to see what happens in a country when civil order breaks down, all you have to do is look at one who is presently breaking down. There are plenty of examples today. Most of the population goes on living, most of the societal norms remain in place. Human beings as a whole are survivors and problem solvers. That is not to say that there is not a lot of suffering, just not a wholesale destruction of the population and long-term lawlessness.

The Jews, as a people, survived many SHTF situations, as did the Armenians and the Cambodians. WWII Soviets lost upwards of 20,000,000 citizens in a SHFT situation, within a few years the laws returned, and society returned to what passed for "normal" in that area. The "Thousand Year Reich", lasted less than ten years, and ended up with the hanging of the worst bandits. In short order, West Germany returned to prosperity. It took a few years longer for East Germany, but today they are also prosperous.

Barring something like a full-scale Nuclear war (which I would prefer to be at ground-zero) or a large asteroid strike, people figure things out.
What happens when things return to normal is that the bandits, of the time of the break-down, are usually found out and punished for their indiscretions.

There have been many times throughout history where the most aggressive and well-armed, of the population, take control for a while, but it usually last less than a lifetime.

The sane thing to do is work to make sure that such situations do not develop. You can't stop an astriod, but you have the political tools to prevent social collapse.

The only thing that is certain is that we all are going to die sooner or later, I would just prefer to go with my soul intact.

Carl Sagan
kbd512 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7268 Times on 4017 Posts
Likes Given: 7038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post

The sane thing to do is work to make sure that such situations do not develop. You can't stop an astriod, but you have the political tools to prevent social collapse.

The only thing that is certain is that we all are going to die sooner or later, I would just prefer to go with my soul intact.
Well said indeed. A much needed dose of sanity!

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 06-02-2013, 07:40 PM   #33

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
If you want to see what happens in a country when civil order breaks down, all you have to do is look at one who is presently breaking down. There are plenty of examples today. Most of the population goes on living, most of the societal norms remain in place. Human beings as a whole are survivors and problem solvers. That is not to say that there is not a lot of suffering, just not a wholesale destruction of the population and long-term lawlessness.

The Jews, as a people, survived many SHTF situations, as did the Armenians and the Cambodians. WWII Soviets lost upwards of 20,000,000 citizens in a SHFT situation, within a few years the laws returned, and society returned to what passed for "normal" in that area. The "Thousand Year Reich", lasted less than ten years, and ended up with the hanging of the worst bandits. In short order, West Germany returned to prosperity. It took a few years longer for East Germany, but today they are also prosperous.

Barring something like a full-scale Nuclear war (which I would prefer to be at ground-zero) or a large asteroid strike, people figure things out.
What happens when things return to normal is that the bandits, of the time of the break-down, are usually found out and punished for their indiscretions.

There have been many times throughout history where the most aggressive and well-armed, of the population, take control for a while, but it usually last less than a lifetime.

I totaly agree with you. Im part of the medical responce corp district 2 and we train for many situations that people call shtf. And all of them consist of the towns and communities to stay together. Help each other out. After being with them for 2 years now and all the people in my home town and the 5 surrounding towns people now feel comfertable with working as a whole. I know by any means its not perfect but it works. We've been activated durring hurricane sandy and the freak winter snow storm last year. Before i joined the m.r.c was activated for the h1n1 scared. We imunized all of my town in 2 day. Including going to the elderly and sick.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #34

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
BTW- my grandparents were subsistence farmers. They raised 15 kids on what they grew.
Yeah, but they had 15 kids sent to work the fields...

Old 06-07-2013, 12:20 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post
I totaly agree with you. Im part of the medical responce corp district 2 and we train for many situations that people call shtf. And all of them consist of the towns and communities to stay together. Help each other out. After being with them for 2 years now and all the people in my home town and the 5 surrounding towns people now feel comfertable with working as a whole. I know by any means its not perfect but it works. We've been activated durring hurricane sandy and the freak winter snow storm last year. Before i joined the m.r.c was activated for the h1n1 scared. We imunized all of my town in 2 day. Including going to the elderly and sick.
Where is this and under who's auspices...

Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 AM   #36

Three words: soy lent green!
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #37

Liked 3615 Times on 2065 Posts
Likes Given: 2504

I've got three more words... Local Amish Community!!!
People Like This 
Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22239 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

or good ole country boys!
People Like This 
Old 06-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 963 Times on 467 Posts
Likes Given: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
or good ole country boys!
If any of the various series recently on cable about the Amish are anywhere near factual, I’ll take my chances with the good ole country boys!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #40

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux View Post
Two things made me rethink my position, which was the same as yours.

Reading the Bosnian Blog, from the guy who lived there.
I would like to read that.

Can you post a link? Thx.