Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > .02 cents for the small soda bottles and .05 for the big ones.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Indeed. Great post Vincine. It speaks volumes.

TU

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Great thread Vini.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #13

Liked 616 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
You're in the vanguard. You're going to be followed by an army of people in five to ten years.
Thanks Vini, funny, your not the first to tell me that... I always thought I was behind the curve not ahead of it...... For me it just seems the attitude of today is just about making money as fast as possible.. Wheres the pride people used to have? (not ego, theres plenty of that!)
As far the things I listed in my previous post, Ive found the old stuff to be built better and require less maintenance, for instance my push mower requires nothing but to be sharpened and oiled once in awhile and my razor just needs a strop before each use.
Most of the time "Modern" bites me in the butt...

I use to be a sawsmith and we had a quote hung on the wall "The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the cheap is forgotten" and its so true, I see it everywhere, most everything today is made cheap or to be thrown away. Its even in the attitude of people, is seems they just do their job and dont really care how as long as their getting paid.
I like to have pride in what I do, and do it to the best of my ability, even if it takes a little longer and costs a little more. Ive found it ends up taking less time and money in the long run. It just turns out better.

I gotta ask Vini.. Does you avatar have anything to do with the Fibonacci Sequence? I dont know why but it makes me think of it....

Old 07-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1449 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Thanks Vini, ..... For me it just seems the attitude of today is just about making money as fast as possible.. (snip) . . most everything today is made cheap or to be thrown away. . (snip) . .
I like to have pride in what I do, and do it to the best of my ability, (etc)
Yes, there was a time when people exchanged value for money.

But then it became less costly to create wealth out of thin air. (Licensing Logos anyone? Repackaging securities anyone? Junk bonds anyone?) This was fueled by the perceived status of wealth by people raised on trips to the ersatz America of Disneyland who never knew the real thing. $100 jeans with rips and tears are bought by people who wouldn’t know authenticity if it hit them with a bat. They’ve nothing in their financial experience that was real. For them perception is reality. They don’t know the difference between wealth and the appearance of wealth. Thus they go for the house they can’t afford because they don’t know what it means to afford something.

When you add the effects of the promotion machine, the people who didn’t think for themselves didn’t stand a chance.

Corporations need to make throw away things because if they don’t, they’d be no more sales, no more profit, no more gravy train.

Quote:
I gotta ask Vini.. Does you avatar have anything to do with the Fibonacci Sequence? I dont know why but it makes me think of it....
And yes, the Golden Rectangle/Spiral and the Fibonacci spiral might as well be identical twins and are widely observed in nature. I decided to use it as I am a pantheist, apparently. Who knew?

PS. I used to work in a sawmill. Ward Lumber. I was the OSHA guy.

Last edited by Vincine; 07-22-2011 at 01:04 AM.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:24 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 97 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Very true. Interesting post!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:34 AM   #16

Quote:
Wow, everybodys right, I really must be old fashioned.....
I dont throw my shaver away, its a straight razor (you get a way better shave),
I use a fountain pen (they write so much smoother),
have a old skool push mower (I live in AZ, I really dont have much of a lawn to mow!),
theres only one TV in my house and dont pay for any programing,
I reuse water bottles (I have my own well, and dont like "processed" water)
I live 50 miles from "town" so I cant really give up the car, I have horses but hay is insane down here like $17.00 a bale! I dont think I would make a 100 mile trip on a bike to well.... I do like my compulateor though, ever since I lost my job its how ive been making money, Im not livin rich by any means but its keeping me off the govt's teet and payin bills.... Ive never thought of it being "green"

Oh yeah, I recycle my cans too! I wish I got $.02 per can....

$17 a BALE???

HOOOOOOOLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY SHEEEEEEEEE-IT!!

$1.75 / bale here. Of course we get 3 cuttins in per year also.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 AM   #17

Liked 616 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus556 View Post
$17 a BALE???

HOOOOOOOLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY SHEEEEEEEEE-IT!!

$1.75 / bale here. Of course we get 3 cuttins in per year also.
Yeah tell me about it... I guess all the fires burned some of the ranches and drove up the price.... It wasnt much better before ... about 14 bucks a bale..