.02 cents for the small soda bottles and .05 for the big ones.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > .02 cents for the small soda bottles and .05 for the big ones.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1425

Default .02 cents for the small soda bottles and .05 for the big ones.

I don’t really think the social order will collapse all at once. At least I hope not. I think it’s more likely the US will ‘de-evolve’ over time to the way things were before we became a consumer economy. Perhaps it will be a little faster on the ‘return trip’.

I received this from a friend of mine:
--
In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day." The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right, that generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

But she was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's diapers because they didn't have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that old lady is right, they didn't have the green thing back in her day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief, not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn't have electric machines to do everything for you.
When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, they didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right, they didn't have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful the
old folks were just because they didn't have the green thing back then?
--
If I recall, it was .02 cents for the small soda bottles and .05 for the big ones.

Vini

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2011, 03:54 AM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine
I don’t really think the social order will collapse all at once. At least I hope not. I think it’s more likely the US will ‘de-evolve’ over time to the way things were before we became a consumer economy. Perhaps it will be a little faster on the ‘return trip’.

I received this from a friend of mine:
--
In the line at the store, the cashier told the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bag because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized to him and explained, "We didn't have the green thing back in my day." The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. The former generation did not care enough to save our environment."

He was right, that generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, they returned their milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But they didn't have the green thing back in that customer's day.

In her day, they walked up stairs, because they didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. They walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time they had to go two blocks.

But she was right. They didn't have the green thing in her day.

Back then, they washed the baby's diapers because they didn't have the throw-away kind. They dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts - wind and solar power really did dry the clothes. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that old lady is right, they didn't have the green thing back in her day.

Back then, they had one TV, or radio, in the house - not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief, not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, they blended and stirred by hand because they didn't have electric machines to do everything for you.
When they packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, they used a wadded up old newspaper to cushion it, not styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap.

Back then, they didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. They used a push mower that ran on human power. They exercised by working so they didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right, they didn't have the green thing back then.

They drank from a fountain when they were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time they had a drink of water. They refilled their writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and they replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But they didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. They had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And they didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful the
old folks were just because they didn't have the green thing back then?
--
If I recall, it was .02 cents for the small soda bottles and .05 for the big ones.

Vini
(Standing ovation) BRAVO!

Sent from my HTC using FirearmsTalk

Old 07-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Great post.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:32 AM   #4

Liked 812 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 931

Wow, everybodys right, I really must be old fashioned.....
I dont throw my shaver away, its a straight razor (you get a way better shave),
I use a fountain pen (they write so much smoother),
have a old skool push mower (I live in AZ, I really dont have much of a lawn to mow!),
theres only one TV in my house and dont pay for any programing,
I reuse water bottles (I have my own well, and dont like "processed" water)
I live 50 miles from "town" so I cant really give up the car, I have horses but hay is insane down here like $17.00 a bale! I dont think I would make a 100 mile trip on a bike to well.... I do like my compulateor though, ever since I lost my job its how ive been making money, Im not livin rich by any means but its keeping me off the govt's teet and payin bills.... Ive never thought of it being "green"

Oh yeah, I recycle my cans too! I wish I got $.02 per can....

Last edited by Trez; 07-21-2011 at 04:34 AM.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:48 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

In the old days when your tv broke you called the tv repairman. There is no tv repairman today. You just throw it out in the trash and get a new one. Nothing is repaired or fixable any more.

And way too many things come in plastic that you just about need a chain saw and bowie knife to get into and the plastic and styrofoam is not recyclable. There was none of that years ago.

Great post Vincine.

OC

"magbum"

Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 237 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 518

nice and sad at the same time, and just think all those hippies have been putting down their parents for not being (green) what a load of crap!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 07-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Wow, everybodys right, I really must be old fashioned.....(snip) . . Oh yeah, I recycle my cans too! I wish I got $.02 per can....
You're in the vanguard. You're going to be followed by an army of people in five to ten years.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #8

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

And to think that my Grandma used to wash and save her tin foil!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Great post. Appreciate you taking the time for it.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #10

Default Rose tinted glasses?

There were a lot of bad things about the old days too. I hope nobody thinks I’m seeing them through rose tinted glasses.

I’m hoping that with the additional hindsight we have now, that we didn’t have before, we can be more judicious in our use of resources, technology and development of policies & procedures. That we will use new technology appropriately instead of mindlessly chasing shareholder value to have wealth just for the sake of wealth, if only because we have no choice.

Especially as the wheel, as the initial post described, has already been invented. It’s not like we don’t know what to do.

It seems to me that the trouble started when those who knew the lessons of the depression started dying off. It’s unfortunate that they’ll likely be another generation or two coming after us, which has to learn the lessons first hand all over again.

Sheesh!