In your opinion what is the best deer rifle? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

In your opinion what is the best deer rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 03:04 AM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 658 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 210

At this point in this thread, you have gotten some very good suggestions. Now it is time to see if your buddies who own high powered rifles, would let you try a few rounds so you could better see how much recoil you are comfortable with, the style of rifle,,, lever, bolt action,etc., that suits your personal tastes and pocketbook. My pet rifle is a custom barrelled Czech Mauser in 7mm Remington Magnum.It has taken a variety of game, includung deer, wild hogs, and elk.It is not legal in Ohio, so my rifle hunting takes me to different locales. With it's laminated stock and floated barrel, the rifle's zero holds very well in different climates. I would hunt anything in this hemisphere with it and have no concerns,,, except for the big bears. If I knew that I had my shot, I would have no qualms, but for safety sake, if I ever did hunt them, I'd borrow my brother's .416 Hoffman.
Good luck and enjoy your search for your deer rifle,, it's fun.
Jeff

Old 08-22-2009, 07:48 PM   #32

well my friends aren't into firearms or hunting so i couldn't really shoot anything before i bought it and since budget is a big concern my options were limited.

but i did it i bought my beauty today it is a used mossberg 100 atr in a 30-06 springfield with a nice 3-9x40 tasco scope that was drill and tap mounted to the rifle. i cleaned it and oiled it and the bolt slides like butter now. i'm happy with it. prolly going to the range next payday to zero in the scope and get the feel of it. i'm ready for deer season now. i sure can't wait. i'll try to post some pictures of it tomorrow. thanks guys for all your help it really helped me out alot. also i'll post some pics whenever deer season starts and i get my first buck

Old 08-23-2009, 12:39 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith84 View Post
well my friends aren't into firearms or hunting so i couldn't really shoot anything before i bought it and since budget is a big concern my options were limited.

but i did it i bought my beauty today it is a used mossberg 100 atr in a 30-06 springfield with a nice 3-9x40 tasco scope that was drill and tap mounted to the rifle. i cleaned it and oiled it and the bolt slides like butter now. i'm happy with it. prolly going to the range next payday to zero in the scope and get the feel of it. i'm ready for deer season now. i sure can't wait. i'll try to post some pictures of it tomorrow. thanks guys for all your help it really helped me out alot. also i'll post some pics whenever deer season starts and i get my first buck
Congrats! Happy shooting.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #34

Good choice!

I saw plenty of good suggestions on here. I'm partial to RUGER, but if given my choice I would grab a Remington 700 LEO in a .308. Those things are tack drivers.
My hunting rifle is a Ruger MKII M77 Tactical LEO .270Win. It's been a great rifle, and easy maint. because of the stainless, and synthetic makeup. I have different types of rounds for different hunting at different distances. I added a brand new scope I got a sweet deal on. Bushnell-Banner Dusk till Dawn 6x18x50. I got it for $75 from a guy that had it new in box, and needed cash. I added a bipod for shooting prone position. Other than the tactical stock being so lite, and providing a huge recoil it's a great rifle, and I figure i got about $800 in it.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 PM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Depends on the terrain.

Woody and tight - Lever Action 30/30.

Open Long Range - Weatherby 7mm Mag.

Open short to middle range - there are lots of good rigles for this.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:19 AM   #36

I have a Ruger M77 MkII Stainless in .308. I have killed a ton of whitetail with it. Between the three states I hunt in, I can legally take up to 8 deer/year. More actually because dad goes with me to a couple states so that could possibly put the family total to 12 deer. I like the Hornaday v-max or the Nosler balistic tips, drops em where they stand and at ranges of 400 yards (No possible shot longer around here between the woods and the hills).
Before the Ruger I had a Winchester model 70 (Pre-'64) in .270. I killed a huge number of deer with that.
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 09-13-2009, 03:32 AM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A Thompson Center, 'whatever' in 6mm Remington Magnum!

If I can't have that then I'll take the 243 Winchester.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:07 AM   #38

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I hunt in middle Georgia and have taken many deer with .30-06, .444 Marlin and .30-30. They all have performed superbly for me. This year will be my first hunt with the .308 and i am certain it will be no different.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:02 AM   #39

Default No perfect caliber

Totally depends on terain as to whether you use a brush gun or a sniper rifle.
Example:
If you can only see 60 yrds due to trees a scoped 7 mag is worthless. If you have to shoot across 400 yrds of sage brush a .444 is worthless.
Other than that the caliber is just what a shooter is comfortable with.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #40

Liked 1400 Times on 800 Posts
Likes Given: 683

There's no such thing as "THE PERFECT" hunting gun. It all has to come down to where and what you are trying to harvest. I have shot deer with 243's-300 Winchester Mags,and also with Shotguns and Pistols.
Alot depends on the terrain and general distance you will be shooting,and your ability to have good shot placement on the animals you're hunting!