Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   Writers Wanted! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/writers-wanted-14104/)

JoshX3Magazine 05-24-2009 03:02 AM

Writers Wanted!

Hi everyone! My name is Josh Silverman and I'm an avid shooter and somewhat newer member of this forum. As you can probably tell from my signature, etc, I'm in the magazine business.

The publishing company I work for, X3, is in the late planning stages of creating a new hunting, archery and firearms magazine and I'll be editing. We're looking for writers and photographers! We're starting up and not exactly in the position to offer anyone a full-time salary with bennies, but what I can offer you is a chance to make a couple of hundred extra bucks here and there writing about something you love.

If you're an avid archer, hunter or firearms enthusiast and can string two or three words together coherently, I'd love to hear from you!

Where we're at right now is putting together a "mock-up" or small test magazine that we're going to show our investors and potential advertisers. If they like it we're moving forward and we'll need articles, pictures, etc.

Since I enjoy this forum and everyone here seems like great people, I figured this might be a neat way of giving back and providing some of the awesome people around here a chance of making a little money.

For an example of what we currently do and how we do it, go see the magazine we currently product online, it's free! Check it out at Paintball X3 Magazine : Paintball Gear, Scenario, Tournament Paintball .

Looking forward to hearing from a few of you!

Josh

Minionsram 05-24-2009 03:50 AM

So do you want us to do a write up and then send it to your email or something?

RL357Mag 05-24-2009 04:00 AM

Sounds like an interesting proposal. Can you be more specific about what information you are looking to publish? Species-specific hunts , archery & hunting gear tests/reviews, firearms tests, reloading & ballsitics ?

JoshX3Magazine 05-24-2009 07:27 AM

Well you guys have already helped me accomplish mission one - whether anyone would be interested and/or respond. :)

Now that you've done that...

Basically what I'd like any perspective writers to do is write something for me. I'd say1,000 words or less. Consider it a...working resume...of sorts. It can be a story about a hunt, a review of a particular firearm, something from the world of archery...anything hunting, archery, outdoors, firearms, etc. I know that's pretty broad but this is more for me to see what you've got, how you write, etc. Once I see that, we can go from there.

Does that help at all? :)

Once you've got something put together email me at Josh@paintballx3.com and we can take a look at it. Thanks!

Josh

skullcrusher 05-24-2009 12:46 PM

I will see if I can get something together today and get it sent to you. Interesting, very interesting.

SC

ScottG 05-24-2009 09:38 PM

Are you also looking for the political angle, or just nuts and bolts and reviews of firearms?

Some of us are newer to guns, but still have a history of political interest in 2a issues.

stalkingbear 05-25-2009 03:18 PM

How much will good pieces be paid? Will we be under contract once writing? Give me a subject-PM me or email me plz. Neil

gorknoids 06-02-2009 03:42 AM

I do a fair bit of combat fishing in the winter ("Combat", not "Wombat", because wombats are an endangered species in both the freshwater and saltwater fishing grounds of the United States, at least until I can get enough people to write their congressmen and get THAT stupid regulation repealed.) and could probably do anything from drunken Canadians rigging tip-ups to how not to boat a barracuda in the Caribbean and actually make it funny.
Think of the last page of "Sports Afield". Nighttime sucker-spearing parties with ice-chunks the size of mattresses coming down the ravine. Hooking your brother in the face with a Rapala when the smallmouth start hitting. Your 7 year-old son reeling up a deer ribcage which you think is from a human, but you just can't stand the suspense and are willing to pay for 20 years worth of therapy just to be sure. Making the same son take a boat ride out to a dead sea turtle which you believe to be a dead guy about be flushed out of the Chesapeake Bay. Stuff like that.

skullcrusher 06-02-2009 03:59 AM

I'm thinking he is looking for original stuff. I read about that kind of stuff in every mag I get. Last page stuff, but fake for real. Most of the time, I am not entertained, but if that is what they are looking for, good for you. I like to read about real hunting and not made up stuff. Jim Shockey got tired of it as well and decided to give up that kind of writing. I gave up on Bill Heavey a long time ago as well. Tred Barta is good with his stuff, you can count on it being based on real experience, and he does not have made up friends.

RL357Mag 06-02-2009 11:15 AM

Pat McManus made a good living doing it and he is probably the best at it. He writes about stuff that the average person who grew up in the 1960's can relate to. Unfortunately that maket is shrinking fast.