Would you hunt , if you had to pay to do it ? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Would you hunt , if you had to pay to do it ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Like everything else our heritage is being sold out to the highest bidder. Its a sick, unfortunate state of affairs that hunting is becoming only for the rich.

And with that you will see an even greater errosion of our 2A rights in the future.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2129 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 635

I used to hunt on public land when I lived in CA, OR and WA. I quit hunting when it became too dangerous. The last hunt I went on in WA was a nightmare. I still have a hard time believing what went on and I was there. I packed up and went home after the second time I was shot at. I did not know of anyone with private land and could not afford to pay to hunt so I stopped. I would love to go elk hunting again but $4000 for a guided hunt is beyond anything I can justify. I am considering a guided cow elk hunt that would not be so expensive. I am too old to go it alone and get an elk out by myself. I dont know anyone here that wants an old tag a long.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Last edited by JTJ; 10-16-2011 at 05:25 PM.

Old 10-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1267 Times on 861 Posts
Likes Given: 1308

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Don't you pay for it every year when you buy a license? Did you have to take a hunter's safety course before being able to purchase your first license? I know here in NC you do. I forget what I paid for the course, that was almost 20 years ago but the license costs me $30/year.

No I have never taken a hunter`s safety course, but then us old farts don`t have to !

When all else fails.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #14

Liked 1558 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

I no longer hunt, but where I live, in Florida, there are tens of thousands of acres of public and public/private partnership lands to shoot on.

The well healed hunters around here hunt on private preserves where the deer are fed year-round, fields of fire are maintained, feed plots are tended by hired hands and there is someone to clean your game while you have a drink in the club-house. The fenced preserves, to me, are more like harvesting then hunting. You show up in the morning, go to your assigned stand, and wait on the deer to show up for it's regular breakfast.

The white tail deer is so plentiful around here that it is dangerous driving to work before daylight. My wife has killed two and wounded one with a Kia, she may make Boone and Crocket this year I hear a lot of sad hunting stories from people who can't seem to be in the right place at the right time..........

Old 10-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I no longer hunt, but where I live, in Florida, there are tens of thousands of acres of public and public/private partnership lands to shoot on.

The well healed hunters around here hunt on private preserves where the deer are fed year-round, fields of fire are maintained, feed plots are tended by hired hands and there is someone to clean your game while you have a drink in the club-house. The fenced preserves, to me, are more like harvesting then hunting. You show up in the morning, go to your assigned stand, and wait on the deer to show up for it's regular breakfast.

The white tail deer is so plentiful around here that it is dangerous driving to work before daylight. My wife has killed two and wounded one with a Kia, she may make Boone and Crocket this year I hear a lot of sad hunting stories from people who can't seem to be in the right place at the right time..........
Its sickening around here really. We have a serious whitetail problem. We have LOTS of 'em. Ins. companies cry about deer vehicle collisons, farmers cry about crop damage. But do you think you can get a piece of private land to hunt.

Greedy hunters lock up a 100s of acres but only able to take a few deer and truly can only hunt so many acres. Farmers double dipping the system by leasing to hunters for BIG$$$ then turning around and getting big $$ for crop damage with crop Ins.

In my case i got pushed off a small 40 acre space by an old greedy bastard telling the land owner that if i was hunting there HE WOULDNT...so the land owner tossed me. The old man has 4 different places in 3 counties to hunt....almost 200 acres. Now if that old bastard hunted EVERY day, he STILL couldnt cover all that ground. Pure GREED! Yet myself and 3 of my friends have 0 space to hunt...unless we decide to put our kids in harms way and hunt the public war zones.

And these same greedy SOB's are the ones to cry the loudest about "our heritage is dying cause no kids are getting into it" Thats because the fathers of these kids that MIGHT be interested cant find anywhere TO hunt so the kids never get the taste and they find something else to be interested in.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I do pay to hunt. Every month when I make the mortgage payment to the bank for the land I bought a few years ago.

I had hunted on two different properties over the years and when the second place dried up (the farmer who was leasing it for crops lost the lease) I decided it was finally time to buy something. I found a piece in my price range, very low, and now own 18 acres. Some of it is tillable and I rent that to a farmer for about 1/3 of the annual mortgage.

I don't mind paying as I am getting something for the money that I put out. Eventually I will have it paid off and it will be mine.

What I don't think I could do is pay an outfitter to hunt. I only hunt for the fun and meat. Haven't shot a buck in years and the does around here are plentiful. Meat in the freezer is my main concern and if I paid a outfitter to be able to harvest a deer, then I might as well go buy beef at the grocery store. It would be way cheaper per lb.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #17
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Here in Texas,Whitetail deer hunting is a major business.It brings in MILLION's of dollars to the land owners,local businesses,and the state wildlife dept.
Unless you/your family has land,or you know someone that will let you hunt on theirs,it's going to cost you some serious coin$$$.

On average a deer lease-not a year round hunting lease,will run a hunter $1000-1500.That's just your average run of the mill farm land with run of the mill whitetails-Not the big trophy racks.
Most of the Trophy ranches get $2500 and up for (1) buck,and they sell management hunts for around $1500. I don't see how most people can afford to do this,but every year,these places are booked solid by people that want to shoot a Trophy buck.

We're trying to work a deal for a lease next season,a year round lease on a huge ranch about 1 1/2hrs away from me.It hasn't been hunted in 8 yrs,and it's high fenced with all kinds of exotic game on it,and huge whitetail from what we were told.It even has a 80 acre lake on it,that is stocked with fish.
The man that owned this place passed away several years ago,and he left his whole estate to the woman that was his housekeeper/nurse.
A guy that I know was hired to be a lease agent for the whole ranch,and he's leased other parts of it to the general public,but he wants only people that he knows to get on this 3200 acre high fenced part of the ranch.
It will cost us $2000 a year to get on this place,but we will get to use it year round,and there will only be guy's that we know hunting on it.Plus,most landowners will come down on their prices when a group of guy's get on a place and work with the owner to do improvements,and help maintain the ranch.
The place that I've hunted on for many years has always been free for me to hunt on,but the owner knew that I spent around $1000 a year maintaining the property for her,and I always gave her family 1 deer for thanks.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #18

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

here in Arizona 83% of the land is public land

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #19

Liked 134 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 240

I really dont have a choice, unless I tried hunting rats with a blowgun off my back deck maybe....

I'm going hog hunting with a buddy in Texas next february, splitting a 2night/3day ranch stay ($600), the rndtrip flight for one will be at least $150....then there are hog dressing/gratuity/meat shipping fees to incur...

I honestly dont mind, that money is supporting a local american market or economy.

I can certainly identify with never having to pay for something, and then when having to, it being a pretty good buzzkill.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:33 PM   #20

Liked 1910 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 1263

I live in Colorado and am going hunting this coming weekend for the first time since I was a kid. But I run a hotel. I work with outfitters all the time. They do a service to the people who live in the big city. Lets face it. If you live in a heavily populated area you are going to need help if you want to hunt. I know they are not cheap. And I would not pay big bucks to go hunting. But for some people it is a great service. One of my outfitter aquantances has offered to let me join a hunt for free. I may take him up on it just to see what he does.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.