Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Would you hunt , if you had to pay to do it ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default Would you hunt , if you had to pay to do it ?

I feel bless that I've never had to pay to go hunting , as I would just quit hunting if I had to hire anyone or pay to lease any land in order to hunt all the time !

I'm not ranting about outfitters or lease hunting rights of whiched I've never ever done any in my life !

Hunting is my favorite thing to do , and am glad that I've never had to resort to paying for it !

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Luckily I have never had to pay to go hunting either. I go hunting on my family property and I thoroughly enjoy hunting the old fashion way. Walking through the property, which includes woods and open fields mostly, and enjoying the scenery while I hunt.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-16-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6944 Times on 4177 Posts
Likes Given: 8349

I have never gone hunting and for now I have no desire to. But I would imagine those who live in a more populated area may have no other choice but to pay to hunt.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #4

Liked 2333 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 2249

If you hunt your own land then you paid for it.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #5

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I own my own land and before that was fortunate that a friend had land I hunted on. Before that it was some pretty crummy land owned by a hotel I stayed at and there was a small fee. I love to hut and yes, if I didn't have personal land, I'd pay to hunt. As long as it wasn't a caged hunt, I have no problems with paying to hunt or hiring a guide to hunt such as a guided elk hunt or bear hunt out west.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 10-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 1149

No I have never had to pay to hunt, & yes I would just quit hunting if I had to pay for it !

When all else fails.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 783 Posts
Likes Given: 1149

O hell, I want to amend my last statement (yes I would pay) I do every year, I have to pay for my hunting & fishing license & my tags, so yes I guess I do pay to go hunting !

When all else fails.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #8

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

we all pay for our hunting licenses. If you hunt out-of-state you pay much more. non-resident fees pay most of the Fish&Wildlife bugets in the western states. I personally never had a problem with that. I have never paid a land-owner to hunt on his land but I respect his right to charge if he wants to. I have hunted in several states and had much enjoyment in all. I think it is great that we have so many options for hunting here in the USA.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Don't you pay for it every year when you buy a license? Did you have to take a hunter's safety course before being able to purchase your first license? I know here in NC you do. I forget what I paid for the course, that was almost 20 years ago but the license costs me $30/year.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #10

As more farms and ranches are being sold by those individuals that inheirit them, the land is broken down and sold into home subdivisions. Also more and more town are incorporating small ranches in order to gain more in tax money and once inside city limits, lose the right to hunt on them.

Already we have people that move to urban areas that need to live close to their jobs and want more ammenities that the local ag and grocery store access provides and therefore have no land to hunt on. Public lands are available with permit, but lets hope there aren't 60 guys already there walking around with rifles looks for a deer on a 30 acre patch...

There is nothing wrong with paying to hunt. If you bought your land, in a way you paid to hunt, expecially if you aren't farming or ranching on the land.

Also, for persons that want to hunt outside of their own backyard, there is little to do but pay to hunt. I am involved in the business side of hunting and my business partner operates a large outfitting business here in central Texas. He runs the 3rd largest dove hunt in the state and is the only outfitter inthe U.S. that offers color thermal hog hunts.

We have hunters coming from all over the world. Last week it was from Australia and in two weeks we have a group from Peurto Rico. We have guys fly into the area for business and we pick them out rent them a rifle and get them in a field to hunt and then back to business the next day. For more than 15 years he has been taking paying hunters into the fields.

For those that have grown up hunting family property, there is nothing wrong with it and it is a lot of fun to walk along the property where great grandpa was born. But for many, they will never be able to have that experience. There is a certain amount of education that comes with going on a guided hunt. Sometimes a little advise and teaching can go a long way.

I hunt here locally and pay, and would have to do the same if I went to North Dakota, it is just part of the process like buying a license and bullets. Everything these days costs money...

Thanks - Craig