Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Wolves Impact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default wolves

I agree with you that we need to manage them. There was a time in nature when the wolves dominated and men were just prey to them but we evolved and now the rolls are reversed. I still say that humans are part of nature as much as any other thing on earth we just happen to be on the top right now but dont exclude us. Hippy has a different definition where I live than in some other places most of my neighbors are.

Live free or die. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what is for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. I will give up my guns but I insist on being the last man to do so. John 3:16,10:10 Acts 11:7

Old 03-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #32

Liked 4421 Times on 2144 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Default Solution...Bang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markerdown View Post
Interesting info on wolf kills and impact on big game. I guess it's all part of the natural world but this is an eye opener for me. It's not all discovery channel nature shows in the real world......Just remember this is from an elk save group and not a save wolf group.

And folks always wonder why I always carry a sidearm when hunting ...........markerdown

This is extremely graphic

Slide Show
Any canine that runs in a packs, goes after live stock, and can't be trained ought to be put down. Shoot em onsite I say

Old 03-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #33

Up here in alaska I have seen some pretty cruel stuff done by wolves but its natural and necessary and I dont think that I or any other alaskan would like to see them gone.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #34

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Up here in alaska I have seen some pretty cruel stuff done by wolves but its natural and necessary and I dont think that I or any other alaskan would like to see them gone.
And hunting wolves in Alaska from helicopters is legal, no? That is why the hot Ashley Judd had issues with the hot Sarah Palin.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
And hunting wolves in Alaska from helicopters is legal, no? That is why the hot Ashley Judd had issues with the hot Sarah Palin.
I'm not up on all the laws, but I think you can if you get a special permit.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:17 AM   #36

Liked 4421 Times on 2144 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Default Alaska OK/Lower 48 No Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Our population densities, lower reserves of game animals, and live stock industries mean that wolves present a completely different issue down here. Our ancestors wiped them in the lower 48 over a century ago for good reason. Thier re-introduction poses a threat to sportsmen, business, and general public safety. I'm really not one for violating any laws but I'll make and exception for wolves and cougars. Not that your likely to see a cat unless it's already got you by the back of the neck!
Alaska's always had Wolves, probably always will and with it's miniscule number of human inhabitants, there's probably not much risk of running into them. I've heard that Moose beat Bears and Wolves combined when it comes to attacking people up there so I understand why your not concerned. The couple of wolf attacks in Alaska I've read about were both on non natives, tourists who got a little to far off the beaten path and did not have the sence to go armed. I've fished the Yakitat area several times, seen many bear, both brown and black, and never felt to threatened but then again I grew up in the woods and don't step into them without at least a .44 Mag. Go on and appreciate thier beauty, just take care you don't wind up wolf scatt.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Our population densities, lower reserves of game animals, and live stock industries mean that wolves present a completely different issue down here. Our ancestors wiped them in the lower 48 over a century ago for good reason. Thier re-introduction poses a threat to sportsmen, business, and general public safety. I'm really not one for violating any laws but I'll make and exception for wolves and cougars. Not that your likely to see a cat unless it's already got you by the back of the neck!
Alaska's always had Wolves, probably always will and with it's miniscule number of human inhabitants, there's probably not much risk of running into them. I've heard that Moose beat Bears and Wolves combined when it comes to attacking people up there so I understand why your not concerned. The couple of wolf attacks in Alaska I've read about were both on non natives, tourists who got a little to far off the beaten path and did not have the sence to go armed. I've fished the Yakitat area several times, seen many bear, both brown and black, and never felt to threatened but then again I grew up in the woods and don't step into them without at least a .44 Mag. Go on and appreciate thier beauty, just take care you don't wind up wolf scatt.
Even caribou are more likely to attack you than wolves and yes, moose are much more dangerous than wolves or bears. 90% of bears I have seen run away unless they have cubs or something.

Bushrat for life

Old 03-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #38

It is all about balance. Wolves were reintroduced several years ago here in MI. I have seen the wolf population starting to take foot here. We have had really bad problems with coyote populations and a decline in rabbit population. I am hoping with the increasing wolf population there will be a decrease the coyote population, since wolves will not tolerate other canine competition.

With that said it will be inevitable for some wolves to loose their fear of man. This worries me a bit. We have large areas of forest, but nothing like Alaska. I do fear eventually things will be out of balance in the near future. We mess up balance constantly, try to fix things or try to restore balance and it goes out of wack the other way. Hunting is a great sport and managed properly is a good way to keep things in check. We must educate ourselves and others towards a healthy rich enviroment for kids and mother nature.

We are coming in contact more and more with wolves. I see them quite often now. My wife actually hit a deer being chased by a wolf. Killed the deer with here bunmper and killed the wolf with the car door. The wolf ran right into the car, broke it's neck.

I personally carry a large caliber handguns whenever I step into the woods now. The wolves are getting brave here. My friend has lost 5 cats from his back yard. One wolf was so close he took a picture of it on his cell phone. The radio tracker is clearly visible on it's neck.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-06-2010, 03:39 PM   #39

But for now I am more concerned about cougers than wolves. They are being spotted all over here.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending