Wolves Impact - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Wolves Impact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 03:00 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

We here in Maine are getting over run with coyotes and it along with harsh winters are depleting the deer population. I read last week that IF&W wants more people to get into Coyote hunting this year to try and get the numbers down to a near normal level..

I purchased my license this am and am going out today and tonight to try and bag a few

Old 01-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #22

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

We were talking about wolves, and wolves do attack and kill coyotes, thus controlling their population as well. But wolves are not as established throughout the U. S. as they once were and are not willing to live in and around human populations as coyotes seem to do well.

Coyotes thrive, breed and live very well among us, and do kill a lot of ungulates and domesticated animals that sometimes are blamed on the wolf.

So varmint call as many of them bastards in and make a dent in their population.

They are not likely to ever be put on any endangered species list.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #23

Liked 1295 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 622

I really don't want to voice my true opinion on the matter,but I spent several years of my life dealing with all the Anti-wolf jackasses when we were trying to reintroduce them into several areas including Yellowstone.

Fact #1 Most of the land that these animals were reintroduced to is PUBLIC LAND,and the ranchers get to use this same public land for almost free to raise their private herds of livestock on. So we(U.S.Taxpayers) have to pay for their cattle & sheep getting killed on OUR land,not the ranchers.

I have always had NO problem with killing wolves that go onto private property(ranches) and kill livestock. Afterall,Everyone has the right to protect their own property as long as it is on THEIR OWN PROPERTY,not MINE.

In the video about the elk kills,were they on public or private land? If they were on public land,then the wolves have just as much right to them as we do. The wolves are not the blood thirsty beast that the person in the video says they are,and most packs will eat part of an animal and then come back for the rest. Most of the kills looked fresh,and the wolves were probably spooked off by humans in the area.

I'm not a animal activist,I come from a Native American background and raised wolves as my pets for almost 30 yrs. The most I ever had at one time was 16 along with a cougar,and a bengal tiger.

I enjoy the outdoors,hunting,and seeing wildlife. Should we hunt wolves? My answer is YES,in areas that they are overpopulated by them,or when they intrude into populated areas,and take livestock on PRIVATE land.

What makes the human species so much better than the rest of the species on mother earth!
Without our man made weapons,we are truly one of the weakest species on the planet!

Old 01-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
So varmint call as many of them bastards in and make a dent in their population.
FYI, if you need kitten sounds for coyote bait, there is an ipod/iphone app for that. I think it is free; it drives my cats nuts, well nuts-er.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #25

I live in Southwest Montana. Beaverhead County (where I live) and Madison County raise and sell more sheep and cattle than anywhere else in the world. There were wolves here before they started importing them, and once they started introducing more wolves and the elk herds were severely depleted. The Centennial Herd which was thousands of animals doesn't really exist anymore, and this is in the last couple of years. The policy of no hunting for wolves is a disaster in this part of the country.

In the Big Hole ranchers have had a major spike in wolf predation on their cattle herds. It has gotten so bad that it has been determined that the Battlefield Pack must be totally eradicated, and the Miners Lack Pack had to have at least 5 members killed to get a handle on the problem. It is bad when you have 25 to 40 cattle killed by wolves per month on your property (not on grazing lease property). During the winter cattle are moved on to the home range and not left on public land grazing leases.

When I was a guide in Alaska we lost 38 horses in one night to wolves, and they only fed on one of the kills. This was in the White River valley right next to Canada's Yukon Territory.
www.mpirifles.com

Old 01-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm all about hunting any animal as long as it isn't poaching. If a particular animal species is a problem, hunt them until their numbers are under control. It doesn't matter to me whether they are predators or ungulates.

Old 03-02-2010, 03:36 AM   #27

Default Wolves

On Mitkof island we have a problem with wolves. They not only devastate our deer and moose population but also kill a lot of pets. I guess if man was not part of the environment there would be no problem but we are part of it.Many of us need deer and moose for our survival. The wolves can come onto the island and stay for a season or two until the deer and moose population is too small to support the packs then they move on to another island. We dont have that option. Our deer season on Mitkof is alreasdy one of if not the shortest seasons in the state. Most of South east deer hunting is open from 1Aug to 31Dec. ours is two weeks in Oct.
Im not sure what the solution is but around here any wolve we see gets shot. WHILE I HAVE NEVER FOUND THE SPORT KILLS SHOWN IN THE VIDEO I HAVE FOUND PLENTY OF WOLF KILLS FOR BOTH DEER AND MOOSE. They are smart and not easy to hunt most killed are chance encounters. The State was using helicopters to manage the population but the out cry from people that really just act on their emotions has seriously curtailed that. When one of our past govenors was criticized for the arial hunts he offered to live trap them and send them to the people complaining but no takers. what a surprise. God said man could use the animals not the other way around.
Live free or die. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what is for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. I will give up my guns but I insist on being the last man to do so. John 3:16,10:10 Acts 11:7

Old 03-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by utelme View Post
The wolves can come onto the island and stay for a season or two until the deer and moose population is too small to support the packs then they move on to another island.
Do they swim to a different island or what, seriously?

Old 03-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #29

Default Wolves

To answer your question seriously yes they do swim from Island to Island I love to catch them swimming bang bang.

And since when do animals have the same rights as humans and why cant a rancher protect his stock on public land if the government gives sells him grazing rights regardless of how cheap they are.
why do people insist on leaving humans out of the environmental picture we didn't come from outer space we were born here too and I put my own personal safety, well being and livelyhood ahead of all animals and push come to shove others of my own species. and I used to be a hippy and never felt any different than I do now about it. my hair was shoulder length when I killed my first wolf lol
Live free or die. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what is for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb. I will give up my guns but I insist on being the last man to do so. John 3:16,10:10 Acts 11:7

Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

utelme, I'm still a hippie and you got to do what you got to do. It's all about balance and I don't think with human involvement nature ever has a chance to become completely balanced ever again. Maybe we have come to a point where the wolves can no longer co-exist with humans, although, I hope not. I think we have come to a point where humans have to manage the wolf population as any other resource. The catch-22 is we need to carefully manage as to not destroy the wolf population totally. Let me reiterate, it's all about balance and the wise use of a resource, called conservation. Good Luck, Joe