Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Wolves Impact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I suggest all of thee above reading some great writings by Farley Mowatt. He was ostricized by the Canadian government for standing up for the wolves and then acclaimed for his book, "People of the Deer", by equating the health and welfare of the Inuit to the health and welfare of the caribou herds.

Has there even been any reported true stories of wolves ever attacking man? I believe it is like the whole prosecution of a home owner shooting an intruder based on the ammo used.

Predators are predators and game is game. A balance is needed, but seldom found.

Walley, the compensation given to those who lose livestock is nowhere near the value of the livestock. Here in Ohio, they have stopped compensating farmers for losses due to coyotes, and there are no plans to further compensate. That bill may be fine for those in wolf country, but not for those who are in other predator country. I think you would like to see the cessaton of any compensation for loss of livestock since PETA is against raising livestock for food.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Has there even been any reported true stories of wolves ever attacking man?
Aparently he was called Kenton Carnegie.

Wolf Attack

photopro

Co-owner: Hunter World UK

Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 AM   #13

This Idaho(Sun Valley) wolf was eating too much livestalk.

wolf.jpg  

Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We have a real problem with coyotes in this area and they are not protected by the DNR. You don’t need any kind of a license to hunt them. We plan to be out freezing our butts off after the pheasant season is over calling them in at night. Last winter we accounted for 23 of them and as a bonus collected twenty-five bucks a piece for their hides.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel

Old 12-21-2009, 07:57 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5277 Times on 2752 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Are we any better than the wolves?
yes, by a long shot. wolves will continue to predate the game herds, pets, farm animals etc until none are left. in today's world there are not vast stretches of wildernesswith untouched game herds where the balance of predators to prey is even. wolves can predate other things than wild game such as garbage dumps pets farm animals etc. this means that their numbers can and will increase to levels beyound what wild game can survive.

humans are capable of regulating our own actions when hunting with proper regulation and hunting limits and seasons. wolves follow no such thing. so yes humans are better than wolves. in my opinon humans should just go ahead and make the wolf species an extinct one.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Jon, man has already made many species extinct so why not one more. I truly feel bad for you that the wolves are interfering with your hunting experiences. Please remember that wolves are also God's creatures and they do serve a purpose even though it's not yours.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:34 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would not want to hunt or camp in an area with a large wolf population. However, i FULLY support the wolves in their anti-deer (& other ungulates) campaign, from afar. If i could airmail them some deer-scented milkbones, i would. I wouldn't mind at all if they repopulated the red wolf in MS, so long as they tossed them some deer on a regular basis.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 12-21-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

orangello, being around wolves is far less dangerous than being around man especially when your the one holding the gun.

Every time I here the wolves howl when I'm alone in the woods it brings a special feeling throughout my body and soul. It makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck and makes me more in tune with my surroundings. I get those primal feelings that are in my genetics.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #19

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
humans are capable of regulating our own actions when hunting with proper regulation and hunting limits and seasons. wolves follow no such thing. so yes humans are better than wolves. in my opinion humans should just go ahead and make the wolf species an extinct one.
Holy Crap JonM!!! Wolves play a very important part in the big picture of preditor/prey ecosystem of game herd populations and natural selection management, to guarantee the continuance of stronger, healthier and increased populations of game animals, for all to hunt.

Damn, I am glad my wife did not see your response post, she would......oh hell, I do not even want to go there.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #20

One of the universities here made a study of deer reproduction, and concluded that about 50% of the annual fawn births are eaten by coyotes in the first 6 weeks after birth.