Wolves Impact
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Wolves Impact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Wolves Impact

Interesting info on wolf kills and impact on big game. I guess it's all part of the natural world but this is an eye opener for me. It's not all discovery channel nature shows in the real world......Just remember this is from an elk save group and not a save wolf group.

And folks always wonder why I always carry a sidearm when hunting ...........markerdown

This is extremely graphic

Slide Show

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It's that whole Mom Nature and the "survival of the fittest" that keeps checks and balances on nature. When man interferes with nature, nature's balances get all screwed-up.

Predation is one of the mortality factors that keep wildlife healthy if left alone. Predation will ultimately keep the elk herd from more devastating factors such as disease, starvation, and accidental death due to human encounters. Normally predators are opportunistic because they prey upon the old and sick as they don't have to expend a lot of energy for a meal.

Hunting is the only mortality factor that man can directly control. Hunting also takes-out the surplus population. Are we any better than the wolves?

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Predation is one of the mortality factors that keep wildlife healthy if left alone. Predation will ultimately keep the elk herd from more devastating factors such as disease, starvation, and accidental death due to human encounters. Normally predators are opportunistic because they prey upon the old and sick as they don't have to expend a lot of energy for a meal.

Hunting is the only mortality factor that man can directly control. Hunting also takes-out the surplus population. Are we any better than the wolves?
It is a dangerous supposition to dismiss deer decline as "nature's way" or some other glib over used expression. It would only be "nature's way" if all things were in balance and invariabley they aren't. Too often a situation is allowed to progress past obvious untill it bites you in the ass and by that time it is usually too late.
We have a group of misguided individuals here in the UK who have proposed re-introducing wolves in the Scottish highlands. "Oh they will only thin out some of the excess Red Deer, they won't touch farm stock and young kids will be perfectly safe" - GET REAL - predators will take as many prey animals as they can, when they can. At least as human predators we can show discretion and observe close seasons.
The prey animals in the slide sequence in the main were only very partially consumed showing the wolves did not need the extra meat, plus I suspect a number of the carcasses had been eaten further by other species not normally a threat to deer.
Your problem needs sorting guys even if it is on only a local scale.

photopro

Co-owner: Hunter World UK

Old 12-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It gets to me that the ones who scream the loudest are those who fear predation by wolves on their livestock. What they fail to mention is that the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009 (H.R.146) was passed into law in March of this year under which those who do lose livestock to wolves can be compensated for their losses.

Next we hear from those who claim that the deer, moose and elk populations in the areas that do have wolves are in a decline. Even when statistics are published saying the exact opposite they steadfastly stick by this theory.

My one son has a ranch in Montana where every winter he ends up feeding, at his own expense, several hundred elk each winter. He has often told me that he wishes there were more wolves in his area because a good percentage of the elk he ends up feeding are old and infirm and what he feels that, as sportsman, he is obligated to do only prolongs their misery. He is not allowed to put them down.

The way I see it those who insist on shooting wolves just want to kill for the thrill of killing. Anyone who would hunt and shoot an animal from a helicopter is not a true sportsman and is just a sadistic killer out for a thrill

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel

Old 12-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Photopro, I'm not trying to be glib, I'm just stating fact. Predation is only one mortality factor and the mortality factor I failed to mention was loss of habitat. Loss of habitat is probably the number one stress on all wildlife.

All I said was that Mother Nature has a way of taking care of herself until humans intervene. We still need to balance predator and prey and that is where human intervention is often needed.

Elk hunting in the western United States is big business and of course there are people crying wolf because they are losing revenue. I support all hunting as long as it is legal and hope someday I'll be able to take my first elk. But as a sportsmen, I support all wildlife because they all have a place here on God's earth.

I have killed many animals and never has it been pretty but that just part of hunting. I never forget that I as human is one of the most ferocious predator on earth and hopefully I'll have a positive impact on nature.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I never knew a wolf would rip a fetus out of an animal. Learn something new everyday.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

here is the real problem. humans interjected themselves wrongly or rightly through over hunting for profit or fun and attempts were made to eradicate wolves from the wild way back when. now the issue is there is no balance on either wolves or elk. hippies interject on the sides of both with nothing but good intentions and feel-goodism screwing things up even worse than if nothing was done at all.

what needs to occur is let actual naturalists who study the actual issues of wolves and elk and issue hunting permits and game limits on one or the other as needed to keep the populations of both in balance where the packs and herds are both healthy.

but unfortunatly until there are no more liberals in power anywhere there will be no real study of the actual issues of elk herds and wolf packs. feel good hippies and trigger happy farmers will continue to mismanage and create situations that shouldnt really come to pass.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hate those hippie bastards.

As you already know Jon, as sportsmen, here in Wisconsin, we have to control and police ourselves as we can not count on the DNR to do it for us.

For those of you that don't know, Wisconsin has a healthy wolf population that is moving farther south every year. Along with the wolves, the coyotes are starting to raise hell with the whitetail population and yet, the DNR gives out massive amount of carcass tags every year. Our whitetail kill this year is down about 33% from last year and last year's whitetail kill was down from the previous year. I see a trend here.

That is why as sportsmen we have to take the bull by the ass to insure future hunting opportunities for our children.

Stupid hippies, I shake my privates at you. Was that shaking private thing in another thread?

Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The coyotes are nuts down here in some areas. You want to balance animal life? LET US HUNT THEM!! Hunters want to hunt, if they hunt them to extinction what would we hunt? Hunters are conservationist in the truest form.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #10

Coyotes are just plain vermin! I had two going after one of my birddogs and they had no fear of me. But my 1911 put the fear of 45acp in them real quick! I shoot them on sight whenever I can .................markerdown

USAF, Retired .. "From My Cold Dead Hands!"

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ........ Edward R. Murrow