Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Wolfs are getting bigger and more aggresive it seems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wolfs are getting bigger and more aggresive it seems

Might want to rethink what you're going to carrying while hunting or hiking. Received the following from another hunter. See picture at end.
This may interest you. I talked with this young lady yesterday afternoon. This is what she told me:
She had been bow hunting using a cow call near Headquarters, Idaho.
She changed her position and was crossing an open meadow when the wolf appeared at the edge.
It saw her and the wind was blowing directly from her to the wolf.
She raised her arms and waved them to catch it's attention, it came straight for her.
The bow was dropped and the S&W M-29 44 Magnum was deployed.
She made the 1st shot at about 10 feet, hitting it above the left eye.
It dropped and changed direction, trying to get away after the shot.
She shot it again in the lungs, then a 3rd time in the neck.
It took two men to lift it into the pick-up.

She's a tall woman, about 5' 11" and pretty tough. She hunts bear and cougar with hounds - her own hounds!
Her husband is a long range shooter and is adept at making 600 plus yard shots.
The lady, however, is the one who busts the brush with bow or rifle.
The wolf's size comes into perspective when you compare her size to it.

Another report was received this week was from Tim Johnson of Fishhawk Guides in Clarkston, the fellow who donates fishing trips to our Elmer Keith Shoots each year.
He reports: "One of my Idaho Outfitter friends hunted a group of out-of-state elk archery hunters from the Great Lakes region last week and they called in a pack of 17 wolves by cow calling.
None of the hunters had a sidearm or wolf tag and it was a very traumatic experience as the wolves surrounded the hunters!
All hunters went home early very disturbed claiming these wolves are very different from the Great Lakes wolves as they claimed these Idaho wolves actually "Hunt" you and were not afraid!"

Outdoor adventures have definitely taken on new dimensions of excitement.
Anyone for berry picking without a sidearm?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Thats a big un!

Yep, time for an open wolf season for sure.

It wont take long for the Great Lakes wolves to get like this. The great lakes wolves are but a decade behind in the reintroduction scheme.

My grand dad told of when he was a kid, (N.W. yooper) wolves stalking him out of the woods (on more than one occasion) in the evening after deer hunting. Told of dragging pines boughs behind to keep them from getting to his heels and hamstringing him. Also told of spending one very cold night in a tree with a pack circling beneath the tree they treed him in.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1103 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 632

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Thats a big un!

Yep, time for an open wolf season for sure.

It wont take long for the Great Lakes wolves to get like this. The great lakes wolves are but a decade behind in the reintroduction scheme.

My grand dad told of when he was a kid, (N.W. yooper) wolves stalking him out of the woods (on more than one occasion) in the evening after deer hunting. Told of dragging pines boughs behind to keep them from getting to his heels and hamstringing him. Also told of spending one very cold night in a tree with a pack circling beneath the tree they treed him in.
seems scary but at the same time how cool would that have been. scary and cool. thats what life is about.
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

damn things should have been exterminated. gello thinks bears are bad but its wolves that are truly evil and have no redeeming qualities. everytime i see a save the wolf wisconsin license plate i think perhaps those people should go out and hand feed a wild wolf first... then they can decide whether to donate to bringing back an extremely destructive and dangerous species.

there is something to be said for extinction.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
seems scary but at the same time how cool would that have been. scary and cool. thats what life is about.
Yeah, nothing quite makes one feel "alive" like facing down an apex predator and calmly dispatching it.

Its a wonder she isnt getting a life sentence for that.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #6

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Jon I have to respectfully disagree. I don't think any wild animal should be exterminated, except maybe spiders.

The reason why, is because we climbed to the top of the food chain using stones and spears.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
damn things should have been exterminated. gello thinks bears are bad but its wolves that are truly evil and have no redeeming qualities. everytime i see a save the wolf wisconsin license plate i think perhaps those people should go out and hand feed a wild wolf first... then they can decide whether to donate to bringing back an extremely destructive and dangerous species.

there is something to be said for extinction.
The neighbor to the property in dah Yooper was instrumental in the re-introduction of the wolf in MI. He was at one time the chief director of the Hiawatha national forest....

anywho, at one time i was VERY much in favor of the reintroduction.

Now i see the decimation of the deer herd and not such a fan anymore. Between the wolves and the (non existent) cougar, deer hunting pretty much SUCKS hind tit up there these days!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Jon I have to respectfully disagree. I don't think any wild animal should be exterminated, except maybe spiders.

The reason why, is because we climbed to the top of the food chain using stones and spears.
I like spiders and snakes more than i like skeeters and rats!!

Old 12-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #9

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

I like spiders and snakes more than i like skeeters and rats!!
I hate spiders. Nothing needs that many legs. Not to mention the fact that they get in your clothes, blankets and shoes and such.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I hate spiders. Nothing needs that many legs. Not to mention the fact that they get in your clothes, blankets and shoes and such.
besides, i LOVE the artwork created with the morning sun shining on the heavy dew on a spider web.

Spiders are KEWL critters.