Winter Hunting vs. Fall
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Winter Hunting vs. Fall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Winter Hunting vs. Fall

For years now, I've kept a timeshare lodge out in the Colorado Rockies. Each September, I'd go hunting with some buddies. We hunt big game—deer, elk, antelope and sheep. Lately we've been thinking about hunting there in winter time. The lodge is accessible then, but it's been trouble getting a week because of the ski season. My question is: is the hassle worth it? How different is the game between winter and fall? I'm interested what folks here think is the best time of year for big game hunting.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You're lucky that you have those options, here in the C and B Zones of Cali, were forced to hunt in indian summer. It's still dry and hot, so the animals are still up high in the mountains and very active.

The chief benefits of winter hunting is that tracking is much easier, the animals are easier to spot, they aren't as over hunted, they're lazier due to the lack of high energy foods that are available prior to the snows and tend to stick to lower elevations.

I'd base the decision on your willingness to hunt in the nastier conditions and you success during the fall hunt. If you come close to bagging out and have no desire to freeze, then stick with the fall option. If you success is less than stellar during the fall and you guys are looking for more adventure, then head out in the winter.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #3

Winter hunting is not for everyone. It's cold, and it can also be dangerous. Tracking is easier, but your mobility is limited. Especially in the Rockies, the snow gets DEEP. I think your dilemma stems from having a timeshare. They suck. There's a whole industry of companies like Timeshare Relief that people pay to take their timeshares.

Why not take a wintertime nature hike and see what you think? Do a poop-n-snoop, check out sign and see what kind of game is around at that time of year. Bagging a trophy bighorn might make the frostbite worthwhile.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Old 08-08-2008, 12:41 AM   #4

With Conservation departments being pressured into considering the needs of multi users and not just hunters are you sure the season extends to when you and your friends are thinking about ?

While I have no experience hunting in the Rocky's from what I have seen in animal documentaries and been told from friends who have hunted them all of the big game animals migrate down the mountains as winter progresses , if you're hunting at the wrong elevation no matter what time of year you're pretty much wasting your time .

I've hunted in deep snow "12 inches +" and your mobility will be greatly limited on foot .

You must make sure you're all in good enough physical condition for this type of hunting "Think Cardiac Condition" or someone could easily die overexerting themselves walking in snow .

You must be willing to invest in emergency equipment and the correct clothing which wont be cheap to do it right .

You must dress in layers so you can remove the heaviest when walking or dragging an animal with Polypropylene under ware that will easily run you $50+ for a good set of long Johns and T-Shirt . You'll need a solid water repellent set of outerwear Bibs and a Coat are far better than just one pair of coveralls , and an excellent pair of waterproof insulated boots .

You should carry extra gear to help on a hunt such as a long rope to help retrieve game that managed to run down a steep hill or into a ditch before dying because simply climbing down isn't going to be easy or safe in snow .

Don't forget emergency fire starting and shelter and be prepared to get stuck out overnight if need be . It would be better to stay put in a raging snowstorm at night than wander around not being able to see where you're going .

One of the best stratagies here in Missouri for Deer is to hunt near thickets of evergreens with an approaching storm as deer will seek out heavy cover to stay in in a bad snow storm .

Old 08-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #5

Default Winter VS Fall

Well, I'll tell ya what, I have been Hunting the Ozark Mountains since I was a kid, And here in Arkansas we have what is considered mild winters, but make no mistake it dose snow here come deer season, I am 40 plus years old now and in fairly better condition than most my age, I use a quad runner to do most of my getting around, but that will only get ya so far, even with three or four inches of snow it makes everything twice as dangerous and ya really got to watch your step, and keep in mind all the work and energy it took ya to get where your going through the mountains and what not, if you are successful ya gotta come back generally the same way packing a load and everything ya went in there with, so getting where you going can exhausts you, then after ya get where your going and you can rest and cool off a bit, ya start freezing all day, and that takes it out of ya to, I guess what I am trying to say is there have been times when After a successful hunt and I am only half way back to camp with my deer that I have felt like I could fall over and strait die. and the point I am trying to make is the mountains I hunt in are just hills compaired to what your talking about and the snow we get dosen't even compete with the 3-6 feet you could wake up to in Colorado!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 AM   #6

your all very experienced blow dart users, i have been looking into blowguns for some time now, and most likely are going to get one. so what kind of blow gun do you use and what would you recommend? what size of calibration and what length? and also what type of blowgun:?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:16 AM   #7

haha, wow i feel stupid.... i thought i went to the next page but instead i went to the next thread... is this even about blowguns?