Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Winchester Rifles, Columbia SC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Winchester Rifles, Columbia SC

After seeing another thread. FN has a new state of the art plant in Columbia SC. They are producing The Rifleman's Rifle again. Old style Model 70's. I have been there. The rifles I saw would warm Jack O'Conners heart. Shotguns and other guns that made Winchester famous are coming. I was told that a Model 12 would be produced again.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

When they start producing '73s let me know.....

I'm more interested in levers than bolts, so I'm hoping they reintroduce the '94s and '92s. Of course, I expect them to be outrageously priced.

9x18=Makarov

Old 04-08-2009, 02:40 AM   #3

Default Well!!!!!!!!!

Scott, that is probably a dream. A great one though.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Old 04-08-2009, 04:21 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Winchester screwed their middle class market by discontinuing their lever action line. Now they cater to the upper class gun snobs who want high-end and high priced shotguns and rifles - screw them! My Marlin and Henry shoot are more accurate than my Mod.94's anyway.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If they do a remake on the model 12, hope it stays together better than the model 12 12 ga. Trap I had. Dang barrel was always coming loose on mine. Went to a 1100 from it. Big upgrade for thousands of rounds as far as I was concerned!!

Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #6

Im just glad that they are going back to the old school mechanics of the model 70 i have a '60 something .243 and i love it. i would like to have a .308 though.

"No man ever won a war by dying for his country, He won by making the other poor bastard die for his" - General George S. Patton

Old 04-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #7

Default win

the plant is run by FN.the original Conn plant was run down and obsolete.this one makes M16s,and the mod 70.I think the savage is better.and you can change barrels as long as the base is the same.the 92 would be a good one to make also the 94.I dont think they will.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:52 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I am glad that the Winchester name is returning to American built firearms. While the new model 70's are nowhere as well built as the pre-64 ones were they are such a step ahead of the other major brands out there who's only criteria is to build the cheapest firearms possible. I firmly believe this concept has done more damage to the industry than any other factor. I have seen more industries fail by cheap products than by expensive ones. Quality machining costs more than cheap stamped or cast parts. High grade steel costs more than potmetal. Walnut has greater class than stocks made of recycled milkjug. I doubt than they will build the model 12 again as it was such a time consuming and expensive design to build and there are many out there for us that prefer them. Same for the model 94 there are millions out there. What would be good would be a new design pump and semi auto shotgun built of milled steel and walnut using newer designs. Now if they would start building the model 61 again in 22 rimfire, 22 WRF and 17 HMR. I believe they would have a real seller. No finer 22 pump gun has been built. And how about a self loader built to the same quality as the model 61's. And finally reproduce the model 86 in a lightweight configuation with some updates. If Winchester started building a limited line of high quality firearms and not try to compete with the companys that sell plastic guns to the mart store, this is a niche they could fill. They will never sell to those who would rather have a dozen cheap products to one top quality one.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #9

Default Yes!! 30-30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I am glad that the Winchester name is returning to American built firearms. While the new model 70's are nowhere as well built as the pre-64 ones were they are such a step ahead of the other major brands out there who's only criteria is to build the cheapest firearms possible. I firmly believe this concept has done more damage to the industry than any other factor. I have seen more industries fail by cheap products than by expensive ones. Quality machining costs more than cheap stamped or cast parts. High grade steel costs more than potmetal. Walnut has greater class than stocks made of recycled milkjug. I doubt than they will build the model 12 again as it was such a time consuming and expensive design to build and there are many out there for us that prefer them. Same for the model 94 there are millions out there. What would be good would be a new design pump and semi auto shotgun built of milled steel and walnut using newer designs. Now if they would start building the model 61 again in 22 rimfire, 22 WRF and 17 HMR. I believe they would have a real seller. No finer 22 pump gun has been built. And how about a self loader built to the same quality as the model 61's. And finally reproduce the model 86 in a lightweight configuation with some updates. If Winchester started building a limited line of high quality firearms and not try to compete with the companys that sell plastic guns to the mart store, this is a niche they could fill. They will never sell to those who would rather have a dozen cheap products to one top quality one.
Well said, and I agree. I was fortunate to see the plant. The 70's are great, that is the only word I have for them. They might not be Pre-64 but darn close. Some people have the screw them attitude. They are building firearms in the USA, hiring workers in the USA, I cheer for them. I hope they expand their line to include the 94, 12, and more. As for the 61 in .17 caliber, I wish! The Conn. plant and workers refusal to work with FN were so outdated they shut it down, backed off, came up with a business plan, and came to SC. As I said, I cheer for them, more jobs, and firearms manufacturing in the USA.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Old 04-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #10

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I almost applied for a job with with FN in SC. It was a machine gun tester. WOW getting paid to shoot a mg all day or every day. Wife said no moving to SC.