Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   winchester (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/winchester-50339/)

sagenodland 10-22-2011 08:54 PM

winchester

So who else still hunts with a lever action 30-30 ?I use my grandpas pre 64 winchester 94 even though I got my 7mm mag .

Firearms4ever 10-22-2011 09:07 PM

I primarily hunt with my cousin's pre 64 Winchester 94. I however do thorougly enjoy shooting it at tin cans and such.

tCan 10-22-2011 09:20 PM

We hunt whitetail with a Marlin 336C!

sagenodland 10-23-2011 02:11 AM

You guys over east don't get the oportunity to do 600 yard shots like we do over west but you have to get close with a lever nonetheless

I heard you can't hunt whitetails on the ground because they'll smell you or hear you before you even know their there is that trur

ninjatoth 10-23-2011 02:19 AM

I have a 1945 Winchester 94 30-30 and I have yet to hunt with it!I want to,I just am always taking newer and overpowered guns in the woods with me to take shots the 30-30 could have easily done.It's such a small handy rifle with lots of firepower,I need to be using it.

ninjatoth 10-23-2011 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagenodland (Post 607992)
You guys over east don't get the oportunity to do 600 yard shots like we do over west but you have to get close with a lever nonetheless

I heard you can't hunt whitetails on the ground because they'll smell you or hear you before you even know their there is that trur

The hunting "experts" on tv will tell you that whitetails are so keen on smelling and seeing or hearing you that you have to use their scentkiller products or camo/uv eliminator in order to hunt well-some people believe this,but it's not true at all.You can light up a smoke and they will still get within 10 yards of you,and I have yelled at deer to make them stop walking and I swear they're deaf.The biggest thing is to be well concealed of movement,as long as you're in a blind they never know you're there.

Firearms4ever 10-23-2011 02:41 AM

Quote:

I would love to go hunting in the west sometime. One thing I've always dreamed of doing was to get a Sharps rifle in 45-70 or some other odd ball cartridge and go hunting on the plains in the west. As far as whitetails go I always hunt on foot and so do all of my friends/family.

Win73 10-23-2011 04:11 AM

Quote:

Last year I went out to video some deer before season opened. I sat down on the ground, basically in the open. There were a couple of trees around me but I was not next to any of them. I had no camoflage on and no scent suppresion. I spotted four deer coming through the woods toward me about 150 yards away. At times I would lose sight of them because of brush. But they kept coming. They got about 20 yards from me before one of them busted me. I had the camera up all the time videoing them. I just sat still and didn't move. I don't know if the one which finally busted me caught my scent or if it heard the camera whirring, it is the tape type.

I have a portable ground blind. Last season I was hunting from it. I looked out the side window and saw a doe walking toward it. For the last ten yards it followed the same path I had followed to get in the blind. It got right in front of the blind and stopped. It was about six feet from me and had no idea I was there. If it had been much closer I could have reached out and touched it. That day I had used scent suppression, on me, my clothes, and my boots.

A funny story. My niece's husband was hunting from a portable ground blind in Missouri. He was watching out the front of the blind when a small buck stuck his head in the side window. He whipped his head around when the buck did that and he and the buck were literally nose to nose. Of course the buck immediately bolted and he could not get his rifle around in time for a shot.

DrumJunkie 10-23-2011 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagenodland (Post 607733)
So who else still hunts with a lever action 30-30 ?I use my grandpas pre 64 winchester 94 even though I got my 7mm mag .

More deer been taken in the woods here in Ky with a 30-30 than any other two calibers put together. I have a 94 (not pre 64) that I would not second guess to take out with me any time I went out looking for deer.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatoth (Post 608008)
The hunting "experts" on tv will tell you that whitetails are so keen on smelling and seeing or hearing you that you have to use their scentkiller products or camo/uv eliminator in order to hunt well-some people believe this,but it's not true at all.You can light up a smoke and they will still get within 10 yards of you,and I have yelled at deer to make them stop walking and I swear they're deaf.The biggest thing is to be well concealed of movement,as long as you're in a blind they never know you're there.

Around here most people just hang their stuff outside for a couple days before they head out to the woods. Works better than any of those scent killers. I think most of that thinking comes from the hunting shows that are sponsored by people that sell scent killer. I used to hunt all the time with a smoke hanging out of my mouth and had no troubles at all;)

Carpshooter 10-23-2011 07:46 AM

A little known fact !

I own a pump 760 Gamemaster Remington , in 30-06 which I don't use cause I only shotgun hunt deer here in my home state ! :eek: