Why you need iron sights here - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why you need iron sights here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 12:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 253 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandy View Post
scope has NO magnification, hence no "brown blur". If you have never shot a properly mounted 1X scope with both eyes open, you don't know what you are missing.
No one here uses a 1x scope. Most people use a 3-9x40

Old 05-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #12

Default Then "most people" don't know much about big

game hunting. A 3-9 scope is a common type that is gross overkill for hunting big game at the kind of ranges most hunters are competent to attempt a kill at.
As Finn once said:"Big game too far away to be taken with a 3X scope is too far away."
Suggest you trade in your iron sights for a 1-4 Leupold or 1-4 Trijicon and learn to shoot with both eyes open. That will cover your close in shots. Any ethical hunter can shoot a Moose at even 300 yards with a 4X scope. As your Moose are bigger than ours, and even ours are bigger than Elk the proof is in the freezer. This bull was taken at 250 yards with a 2.5X Leupold Alaskan on a 1930s vintage 400 Whelen. One shot...DOA.
Low power scope, cartridge with a rainbow trajectory, yet it worked.
It was, as it always is, the "nut behind the bolt."

If I were going to hunt Moose, this would be my choice. 9.3x62, three shots quick, point blank on a Moose 275 yards 1.2-4 Trijicon.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Shiiiiiiiit at that distance i would have pulled out my katana! (Ha Ha Ha!)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 05-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Then when that crapy leupold fogs up you just wasted a $3000 hunt becuase you can't shoot and you don't have the tools needed to get the scope off the gun to you the sights you might have.

I don't know most of the professional Hunters in Africa I have ever seen don't have a scope on any of their rifles.

I believe in KISS
Keep
It
Simple
STUPID

In a hunt like the one in the video I am going with open sights every time. Why simple that is why simple they often don't break once you have them set and with all that brush you are going to need more crap to keep the scope working than irons.

But we all know that Brandy is the be all know all end all super ultra uber Ninja of the scope world. That is why he tells guy looking to spend $100 to $300 on a scope to go buy a $2500 scope.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #15

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Dave, you use see through mounts. Now I am curious why European style side mounts (short or long side rail) never became popular in North America? I understand that Weaver and Redfield designs are cheaper, but the side rail offers the option of pulling the scope off in a few seconds or sighting under the scope w/ irons. Remove the scope, put it back on and it retains zero. Sure it would cost a pretty penny these days to manufacture, but for a serious hunter I would think it would be worth it!

Just turn 2 levers and its off or on, in the case of this 1955 Swede short side rail. I search for these rifles!! Sadly most have lost there side rail mounts and now wear a Redfield design here in the U.S.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Dave, you use see through mounts. Now I am curious why European style side mounts (short or long side rail) never became popular in North America? I understand that Weaver and Redfield designs are cheaper, but the side rail offers the option of pulling the scope off in a few seconds or sighting under the scope w/ irons. Remove the scope, put it back on and it retains zero. Sure it would cost a pretty penny these days to manufacture, but for a serious hunter I would think it would be worth it!

Just turn 2 levers and its off or on, in the case of this 1955 Swede short side rail. I search for these rifles!! Sadly most have lost there side rail mounts and now wear a Redfield design here in the U.S.

The local gunsmith has a 30/06 Carl Gustav for sale like this with that exact nount on it.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Then when that crapy leupold fogs up you just wasted a $3000 hunt becuase you can't shoot and you don't have the tools needed to get the scope off the gun to you the sights you might have.

I don't know most of the professional Hunters in Africa I have ever seen don't have a scope on any of their rifles.

I believe in KISS
Keep
It
Simple
STUPID

In a hunt like the one in the video I am going with open sights every time. Why simple that is why simple they often don't break once you have them set and with all that brush you are going to need more crap to keep the scope working than irons.

But we all know that Brandy is the be all know all end all super ultra uber Ninja of the scope world. That is why he tells guy looking to spend $100 to $300 on a scope to go buy a $2500 scope.
I had the near exact same situation with my old 270 winchester. I just flipped up my v-sight bingo, bango moose tags filled. That is why I put up the video.

Most of the time guys who say you "need" this or that don't really know what they need. A lot of times their internet resume is a lot thicker than their real one

Last edited by davemccarthy707; 05-15-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #18

Default Hate to burst your "expert" bubble but in 50+ years of

hunting I have NEVER had a Leupold fog up. FYI the Leupold Alaskan is a SEALED gas filled scope. To put it in the Jaeger rings solid rings I sent it back to Leupold and they put it in the rings, regassed and resealed it at NO CHARGE.
Finally the Jaeger side mount is a QD single lever side mount. The Lyman 48 receiver sight is in the trap buttplate ready to be installed in a moment should anything happen to the scope.
While I realize most "experts" know little if anything about classic rifles and scope mounts, it might behoove you to have the facts at hand.
Here's a couple more pics of the rifle as it is today so you can see how things work as well as a picture of the R.F Sedgley Deluxe Springfield Sporter 400 Whelen, with the original owner with the scope off and the receiver sight installed. (prior to restoration, new bolt handle & safe, swap of G&H to Jaeger side mount and replacement of cracked barrel band)
Glad to enlighten you.......

Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #19

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemccarthy707 View Post
The local gunsmith has a 30/06 Carl Gustav for sale like this with that exact nount on it.
The mount I have is a large ring mount. I have seen similar for small ring also. I do love my Swedes!
I wish I could find one of the 800 9.3x62 1947 Belgian 98 receiver Swede builds (Model 640) similar to my 8x57, but w/ only 10,000 of these receivers built on in 5 calibers that is a tough one. Even a Model 1600/1640 small ring 98 action would make me smile for years.

Brandy, you are missing the point. You have a high end rig. Not all of us do. I can't justify a dedicated 1.5..2 power scope on any rifle. Irons do the same for me as they have for hundreds of years. The original thread was because of the distance, and the advantage of seeing your target. I can't speak for Tango, but he is correct in the respect that us poor folk make do with a good set of irons and practice. You can't show me a scope that will sight as fast as irons when it gets up close and personal. All of my woods hunters have useable open sights, even if they wear a scope. 150 yard express sights are fine by me. Funny, most of my North east counterparts think I'm some sort of Euro snob because of the rifles/calibers I use. Their rigs cost way more than mine, but yield no better results. I have a few that will take game at 400+, but they are not the normal rig for eastern hunting. If I told you the 1st Elk I ever took was in Buffalo Colorado with a Mossberg 2 3/4 12ga bolt action slug gun, w/ iron sights, a Mossberg, at 15 yards would you say I needed a scope? I bought that rifle for $60.00 new when I was 16 years old. I was proficient to 100+ yards. A 3 or 4 power at 100 yards is not overkill either. I like a fixed 4x32 for 50 to 300 yards. Hunting styles and individual preferences dictate our purchases. Having high end stuff is not necessary for me.

BTW, Col. Patterson from the lions of Tsavo incident was my Grandfathers brother.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 05-15-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #20

Default Iron sights will work fine but they are inferior to a low X

scope especially for eyes past 40. For decades those of us forced to use shotguns (smoothbores at that) in upstate NY all used low x scopes even in heavy cover because they just work better. Saying that you cannot afford a low x scope.... well I wonder how you can afford the gas to get to the woods. There are no end of low X scopes on ebay like the ANNB K1 post and crosshair I just bought for $70.00. Used one like it for 20+ years on my old M 12 26" IC. Killed my limit of deer every year and it would hold a 5" group with plain old foster slugs at 75 yards. That scope was a rarity (although in my "ute" I was unaware of it) as it had a 5 minute dot. It went through rain, snow and all sorts of the wonderful weather unique to "lake effect" with never a hiccup. foolishly sold it to a friend who put it on his M 12 trapgun where it is still purring after many, many 1000 rounds. A deerhunter from my old home turf with an unscoped shotgun or muzzleloader is a rare bird indeed.
Don't deny that iron sights still work, but a Wally world savage or marlin package bolt action with a scope is a better hunting rifle than a multi 1000 dollar iron sighted rifle. I'll put my Marlin XLC 270 with a 1-4 Leupold up against anything with iron sights at any range from 25 to 400 yards. that is an "all up" $600 package...not high end by any means.
But if you won't try it.....well stick with whatever you like.