this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1

Australia mate, a lot of pigs here are generally covered in mud from wallowing and a lighter calibre will just blow up on the mud.
Some of the bigger boars are endowed with fairly thick fighting pads on their shoulders and that with mud on top makes them a tough proposition.

A lot of pigs get dogged and then stuck with knives as well and there are blokes here who've shot pigs with .22's,.222's and .223's and do drop them but there's a lot more who've shot them with these .22's and lost a pig that's run off leaving a wounded cranky pig that'll attack anything or body that comes near them.

I don't know if you've ever seen the damage the hooks on a pig can do to a dog or somebody's leg or arm but I can tell you a trip to the vets or doc's is a very painful and expensive experience hence why I use the calibres that I do,regards
I'd like to go to Australia and hunt. Hogs here in Arkansas typically do not get over 200-250 pounds. Although, I have seen two before that had to have been over 300. Our hogs are not very aggressive, unless its a sow with piglets. One of my buddies was rolled over by one.

What I'm trying to get at is that while the .223 or other smaller calibers are not suitable for your area. Those same calibers are suitable for the south/southwest U.S. It's all about the breed of hog and the environment in which they live.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #52

Liked 374 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
I'd like to go to Australia and hunt. Hogs here in Arkansas typically do not get over 200-250 pounds. Although, I have seen two before that had to have been over 300. Our hogs are not very aggressive, unless its a sow with piglets. One of my buddies was rolled over by one.

What I'm trying to get at is that while the .223 or other smaller calibers are not suitable for your area. Those same calibers are suitable for the south/southwest U.S. It's all about the breed of hog and the environment in which they live.
Most of our pigs range up into the 80 -100kg class with a lot around 40-50kgs but they're full of fire and brimstone at times especially when cornered.
There's a lot that are knocked over with a .222,.223 but as I posted earlier I'm not overly keen on a light calibre on something that's got the potential to rip you a new one.
Our pigs range from the edges of our deserts to our tropical North and in between and it's been estimated that the pig population is around 1 per person in Australia(around 23,000,000 approx).

Mate if you want to come down here and have a go at our grunters your more than welcome,actually we have rabbits,foxes,feral cats,feral dogs,pigs,goats,donkey's,horses,Banteng Cattle,Scrub Cattle,Buffalo,Camels so bring yourself and your mates or family and come and see God's own country and have a beer and feed.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

willshoum Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #53

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1

Mate if you want to come down here and have a go at our grunters your more than welcome,actually we have rabbits,foxes,feral cats,feral dogs,pigs,goats,donkey's,horses,Banteng Cattle,Scrub Cattle,Buffalo,Camels so bring yourself and your mates or family and come and see God's own country and have a beer and feed.
Now that sounds like a good time. I don't think I'd be able to bring my AR15 down there huh? It is my number one rifle for everything, even hunting.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #54

Liked 374 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
Now that sounds like a good time. I don't think I'd be able to bring my AR15 down there huh? It is my number one rifle for everything, even hunting.
Unfortunately that would be deeply frowned upon by our Nanny State authourities but a good bolt action rifle in something from say .308,.270,30/06 will handle just about everything here but for Buffalo,scrub cattle and Banteng something like a .375 or better with a good projectile like a Barnes,Woodleigh or something similar will do the job just as well.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 12-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1879 Times on 1337 Posts
Likes Given: 2118

Default Shot placement......

I looked over the video several times and saw the hog having a hard time moving his rear legs, I think that if the shot was just a few inches higher it woud have cut thru his spine. There is no armour in the area he hit. Slow death maybe, the coyotes will get him.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........