this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

I've shot plenty of hogs with a 22lr and .223. Never once have I had one run past 30 yards or so. It is not that hard to kill a hog.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #42

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I have to disagree!
I have shot 25+ hogs and only two or three were head shots and only two were not one shot kills and went less than 30 feet. As I have said here many times, most hunters do not understand terminal ballistics and the physiology of the animals well enough to make an informed choice of caliber and BULLET when it comes to big game hunting! Most, do however, chose bullets which if properly placed may perform well enough to put the animal down even if they are not the 'best' tool for the job.
For hogs you need a heavy for caliber, tough bullet and stay with 270 and larger diameter and if you put the bullet into the 'boiler room' (heart lung area) they will not go far. The furthest they have went when I did my part was ten yds.
Well, I agree to disagree, I have never had a problem with a 30-06 head shot. I have seen to many of my friend try to shot a heart/lung shot and we have to track the animal for +/- 150yds. One thing people forget is a hog has an armor plate underneath their skin around there heart/lungs to protect them whenever they fight.

I do agree with you on shot placement though. That is key on any animal but in my personal experience the head shot on the hog has worked for me.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use my .500 S&W Magnum, heart lung shot and they don't go far and die quickly.

img_20121123_081219.jpg  

Old 12-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd390 View Post
Well, I agree to disagree, I have never had a problem with a 30-06 head shot. I have seen to many of my friend try to shot a heart/lung shot and we have to track the animal for +/- 150yds. One thing people forget is a hog has an armor plate underneath their skin around there heart/lungs to protect them whenever they fight.

I do agree with you on shot placement though. That is key on any animal but in my personal experience the head shot on the hog has worked for me.
Are your friends aware they need to shot from the shoulder FORWARD not behind the shoulder as you do with a deer? The Hogs 'boiler room' is low and in front of the shoulder. AND are they aware they NEED a heavy tough bullet??? You can get away with using bullets not really suited for big game on the light skinned, less tough deer, but you can't on a big bad hog!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This 
Old 12-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #45
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

When you are shooting a big living thing like a hog, a deer or even a man, there is always uncertainty with terminal ballistics even when you hit your target in the right place. A millimeter this way or that, deflection off a bone, the artery nicked instead of severed, and your boy is still coming.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #46
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2111 Times on 1141 Posts
Likes Given: 3177

i've killed dozens of wild hogs using a .223 rifle and US military M193 ball ammunition: Yep, that awful FMJ ammo. The vast majority of those kills were bang flops. At velocities in excess of 2,700 fps the bullet penetrates about 6", yaws and fragments.

http://bajaarizona.org/fklr/fklr.html

The wild hogs "shield" really does not amount to much, it ain't armor plate. Problem is the vital area of a hog is small and lots of folks gutshoot them. i've seen wild hogs gutshot with nearly all the popular big game cartridges: A gutshot hog runs off to die. i prefer to shoot a broadside hog low just behind the crook in the front leg: Heart shot. Read this article from Texasboars:

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

Last edited by alsaqr; 12-05-2012 at 11:35 PM.
JimRau Likes This 
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #47

Liked 374 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
I've shot plenty of hogs with a 22lr and .223. Never once have I had one run past 30 yards or so. It is not that hard to kill a hog.
The problem with that line of thought is that if you have to go into thick stuff looking to finish a pig off then it becomes very nasty very quickly as the hooks on a pig will open you up like a can of sardines and distances in thick bush or lignum can be anywhere from 5yds(a long shot) to barrel length and a wounded pig can cover a lot of ground surprisingly fast.

Years ago a mate got chased by a boar that was rear ended by a .270 and he got out of the 4wd ute with a shotgun to finish the pig off when it dragged itself up and chased him 50yds virtually dragging it's rear end on the ground and nearly got my mate until I leant over the tray side and popped a .303 round into it's head as it attacked the rear tyre of the 4wd

Personally prefer at a minimum a .243 with a 90gn pill or a .270,.308 or .30/06 and with my 30/06AI and .270 I don't get many pigs running on after they get hit in the shoulder or chest.

I'm getting to old and slow to play silly buggers with 160lb of p$%%ed off pig and I 've taught my son the same thing,hit them with a suitable calibre and projectile in the front end and that's that.

Rear end shots on departing pigs is a last resort and a pig's butt is a small target but if you can get a heavy projectile near the butt of the tail you'll either kill the pig outright or anchor it so that you can finish it off with a second but as I said earlier a pig can be a tough customer.

He actually christened his Rossi 30/30 lever action on the weekend with a sow he hit on the run with it using 160gn BT.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 12-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #48

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1

The problem with that line of thought is that if you have to go into thick stuff looking to finish a pig off then it becomes very nasty very quickly as the hooks on a pig will open you up like a can of sardines and distances in thick bush or lignum can be anywhere from 5yds(a long shot) to barrel length and a wounded pig can cover a lot of ground surprisingly fast.

Years ago a mate got chased by a boar that was rear ended by a .270 and he got out of the 4wd ute with a shotgun to finish the pig off when it dragged itself up and chased him 50yds virtually dragging it's rear end on the ground and nearly got my mate until I leant over the tray side and popped a .303 round into it's head as it attacked the rear tyre of the 4wd

Personally prefer at a minimum a .243 with a 90gn pill or a .270,.308 or .30/06 and with my 30/06AI and .270 I don't get many pigs running on after they get hit in the shoulder or chest.

I'm getting to old and slow to play silly buggers with 160lb of p$%%ed off pig and I 've taught my son the same thing,hit them with a suitable calibre and projectile in the front end and that's that.

Rear end shots on departing pigs is a last resort and a pig's butt is a small target but if you can get a heavy projectile near the butt of the tail you'll either kill the pig outright or anchor it so that you can finish it off with a second but as I said earlier a pig can be a tough customer.

He actually christened his Rossi 30/30 lever action on the weekend with a sow he hit on the run with it using 160gn BT.
I'm shooting pigs in Arkansas, you are where? Pigs here ain't hard to kill, especially with the 50gr v-tips I've been using.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #49

Liked 374 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
I'm shooting pigs in Arkansas, you are where? Pigs here ain't hard to kill, especially with the 50gr v-tips I've been using.
Australia mate, a lot of pigs here are generally covered in mud from wallowing and a lighter calibre will just blow up on the mud.
Some of the bigger boars are endowed with fairly thick fighting pads on their shoulders and that with mud on top makes them a tough proposition.

A lot of pigs get dogged and then stuck with knives as well and there are blokes here who've shot pigs with .22's,.222's and .223's and do drop them but there's a lot more who've shot them with these .22's and lost a pig that's run off leaving a wounded cranky pig that'll attack anything or body that comes near them.

I don't know if you've ever seen the damage the hooks on a pig can do to a dog or somebody's leg or arm but I can tell you a trip to the vets or doc's is a very painful and expensive experience hence why I use the calibres that I do,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

JimRau Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

My grandpa used a 22 short to put down the hogs we butchered, BUT that does not mean that is good round to kill hogs!!!
This is not a perfect world, so unless you have a hog in a 'controlled environment' please use at least a 264/6.5 or larger caliber with heavy tough bullets. I do not like the hogs and want to kill as many as possible, but like ALL animals I kill it want it to be as humane as possible!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!