Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1563 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 778

The only good hog is a dead hog!!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM   #32
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2137 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

He would not have had a problem if it would have been a good shot. Bottom line is was a P poor shot and way to far back on the hog. Obviously with the hog just casually wandering around there on the trail he should have waited for the right shot. We have killed a lot of pigs in Texas even with the ARs in 5.56 with 55 and 69 grain bullets. But shot placement was correct. Behind the ears is best or secondly through the heart and lung area. Shots as far back as the one in the video is hopeless regarding a DRT kill no matter what caliber and bullet you are using. Then he gets to go hunt Mr Tusker! Sometimes they can have a serious attitude. Can't blame them in this case! We normally use larger calibers on them in the day time when not hunting them with ARs and NV. We also have killed our share of them with the 458 SOCOM.
Good luck to all this season!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #33

Likes Given: 15

My brother dropped a 125lb sow with his .45 acp pistol. One shot through the shoulder and it dropped right where it stood. Changed my whole opinion on the .45.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 862 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 1137

Here's a video that shows why proper bullet placement is importent. Hog took several hits with a 45acp after being shot with a rifle "broken leg"

Even when the cranial shot happened it was not behind the ear and the hog was still in movement. just pay attention to where the strikes were hitting. Granted hunter was in a high stress situation for himself.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b04_1337719658

Become steel or get cut.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This shows that none of the hits were good hits! It took all the 'hits' to slow the animal down to where it could not continue the attack, but none of the 'hits' killed the animal!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 12-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #36
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1335 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
from what this video showed it was simply poor shot placement, to high and to far back but it died even if he did not retrieve it!!!!

There it is. You can kill a hog with a smaller caliber if you hit him in the right place; and you can hit him with a big caliber in the wrong place and watch him run. But the hog in this video did die.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Last edited by 7point62; 12-01-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #37
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1335 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
Here's a video that shows why proper bullet placement is importent. Hog took several hits with a 45acp after being shot with a rifle "broken leg"

Even when the cranial shot happened it was not behind the ear and the hog was still in movement. just pay attention to where the strikes were hitting. Granted hunter was in a high stress situation for himself.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b04_1337719658

This should've ended much sooner. I love 45 ACP but IMO it does not have enough penetrating power for a big hog like this unless you execute him with a shot behind the ear...and he's not likely to let you do that.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous
People Like This 
Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 862 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 1137

Even when the opportunity presented itself the shooter did not attempt it. Granted he wanted to keep his video rolling (Which is another folly in itself.) so his concentration was divided at the task at hand.

It's my belief that the majority of large wild animals taken are with multiple bullet strikes than the desired one shot Kill shot. I have good friends that process wild game during hunting seasons and I've seen what has been brought in and hanging in the chill room. Swiss cheese and hamburger are good descriptions for the bullet ridden carcasses. They’re so many factors that affect the shooter and bullet flight, that are not experienced on the traditional controlled rifle range. Buck fever, range estimation, trying to hit a moving target....

Beyond knowing where to hit upon the animals anatomy, the next best thing is having a weight and petal retaining premium bullet that leaves a deeply penetrating, wide and open wound channel. Even if your caliber of choice for the hunt is the .223 you should shoot the best bullet available.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #39

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
That's because he shot it in the shoulder you hit a hog their and they Will not go down I shot a hog in a trap one time with my 270 in the shoulder and all it did was break its front leg. The front half of a hogs body is a thick armor, best place to shoot them is right behind the hear or a head shot. This is just my years of experience hunting hogs on our family ranch in south Texas.
...Second that! I always shot for the head, otherwise you will be tracking for days.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd390 View Post
...Second that! I always shot for the head, otherwise you will be tracking for days.
I have to disagree!
I have shot 25+ hogs and only two or three were head shots and only two were not one shot kills and went less than 30 feet. As I have said here many times, most hunters do not understand terminal ballistics and the physiology of the animals well enough to make an informed choice of caliber and BULLET when it comes to big game hunting! Most, do however, chose bullets which if properly placed may perform well enough to put the animal down even if they are not the 'best' tool for the job.
For hogs you need a heavy for caliber, tough bullet and stay with 270 and larger diameter and if you put the bullet into the 'boiler room' (heart lung area) they will not go far. The furthest they have went when I did my part was ten yds.