this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
wouldn't have had that problem if he used a AR458SOCOM
He would of had the same results if the bullet struck the same place.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:02 AM   #22

Liked 379 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I've used HP's on pigs here in Australia without many problems but bullet placement is the big thing and it doesn't matter what calibre you use although anything below .243 is asking for trouble as you need the ft lbs of energy and a reasonably decent bullet weight.

I've shot pigs with a .22 but wouldn't recommend it but it was all I had at the time. I've shot pigs with my .222 but again I wouldn't recommend that either.

A lot of pro Kangaroo shooters have shot big pigs with .222 and .223 but in the spotlight so the pigs are a bit stunned by the light and are headshot for the chillers.

The only real problem I can see with HP's on pigs is if your using a .223 or something similar and you come up against a mud encrusted boar. The mud acts like a 2nd skin and a lower powered calibre will blow up on the mud and fighting pads of the pig and cause a big wound that's not really that fatal but in a 6mm .270, .30 cal rifle or bigger there's enough energy there to drive in and bust the vitals up.

Head shooting pigs is a hard task and I prefer driving a projectile into the shoulder area or the lower chest on a front on shot from my 30/06AI.

HP's have their place and on pigs,goats,deer they do perform well BUT placement is everything doesn't matter what calibre on what game,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #23

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Larger calibers or shotgun slugs do allow you to retrieve game that was taken with a marginal shot. Say you had a beautiful neck shot and the bullet hit a limb on the way turning your neck shot into a spleen shot. With a large caliber soft point you are going to have an adequate blood trail to find the animal.

With a small caliber or a bullet that won't pass through the animal you won't have a good blood trail, most of the blood is going to remain inside the animal.

I hunted two season with an SKS. I had to get a dog to find every animal I shot with the thing. I have had better experiences with a 22 LR. I was using Winchester soft point ammo. I finally bought a 30/06 BAR and the SKS has gathered dust ever since.

The SKS is still my favorite plinking weapon. The 7.62 bullet is heavy enough to buck the wind. Cheap enough I don't mind shooting a bunch of rounds. Low recoil so I enjoy shooting a bunch and don't start flinching.

Today things have changed a lot. Most counties in NC require hunters to have written permission to hunt with a centerfire rifle on another mans land. If the land is not posted you can legally hunt there but not with a rifle. Now the Mossberg 500 slug gun is my weapon of choice. Quite often when you seek permission to hunt you get a key to the gates but you don't get a permission slip of any form. Landowners have heard to many horror stories and some have the conception that a rifle bullet will carry for miles. I am not there to argue. I am there to get permission to hunt and a key to the gate/s.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-14-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #24

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
He would of had the same results if the bullet struck the same place.
average 5.56 Nato 62gr yields 1303ftlbs of energy .... average .458SOCOM 300gr yields 2404ftlbs of energy ...

nearly twice the energy delivered on impact ... not quite the same

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

My experience with killing Hogs is pretty simple. I aim for 3 areas. Behind the ear is always DRT , the neck shot DRT, and the boiler room,the anatomy of a hogs boiler room is a bit differet it rides a bit lower in the animals body ,than one would expect But when hit properly (the heart) the animal travels only a little ways.

A head shot .other than behind the ear,tends not to be a better choice of bullet placement. The angle of the skull tends to promote the bullet to slide up and away,instead of into the brain pan. Next, for an effective brain shot to be "catastrophic" the bullet must cut a path through both hemispheres . This is where the 22lr and 22WMR come into play.with the behind the ear shot. The skull is at its thinest point,and the 22 crosses both hemispheres and then tends to rattle arouns a bit..

ST~

Become steel or get cut.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
average 5.56 Nato 62gr yields 1303ftlbs of energy .... average .458SOCOM 300gr yields 2404ftlbs of energy ...

nearly twice the energy delivered on impact ... not quite the same
All those numbers mean nothing if you don't put the bullet where it needs to go!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:45 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
My experience with killing Hogs is pretty simple. I aim for 3 areas. Behind the ear is always DRT , the neck shot DRT, and the boiler room,the anatomy of a hogs boiler room is a bit differet it rides a bit lower in the animals body ,than one would expect But when hit properly (the heart) the animal travels only a little ways.

A head shot .other than behind the ear,tends not to be a better choice of bullet placement. The angle of the skull tends to promote the bullet to slide up and away,instead of into the brain pan. Next, for an effective brain shot to be "catastrophic" the bullet must cut a path through both hemispheres . This is where the 22lr and 22WMR come into play.with the behind the ear shot. The skull is at its thinest point,and the 22 crosses both hemispheres and then tends to rattle arouns a bit..

ST~
The vitals are further forward as well.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 3323

The idiot gutshot that hog.

i kill lot of wild hogs, at least 50 every year. Most of my hogs are killed with a .50 caliber muzzleloader. i've killed at least 250 wild hogs using the excellent 240 grain .430 XTP hollow point bullet. At least that many hogs have been killed using my .50 Encore muzzleloader and the 250 grain SST/Shockwave bullet.

This wild hog weighed over 375 pounds. He was killed by one shot from my .50 Encore muzzleloader. The bullet was the 250 grain SST. Powder charge was 100 grains of Goex Pinnacle. The hog ran about 100 yards after being hit, staggered, fell down, kicked for about 45 seconds and expired. The bullet was found just under the skin on the far side. The bullet broke a rib entering and broke two more on the opposite side. That hog was 19 inches wide at the shoulders. The red spot just behind the shoulder is the bullet entry.

Contrary to popular myth hogs ain't rhinos. A lung shot will take them out every time. Many hunters hit hogs too far back - in the guts. A hog standing broadside should be shot just behind the crook in the front leg. Hog anatomy:

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

Last edited by alsaqr; 11-15-2012 at 12:21 AM.
JimRau Likes This 
Old 11-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
The vitals are further forward as well.
Spot on brother! I knew I had forgot to add something else.

ST~

Become steel or get cut.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #30

Liked 144 Times on 99 Posts

He couldn't have shot that pig in a worse spot that's why he didn't drop it. I'm not much for pigs but if he wasn't able to find it quickly that was a horrible death. To be fair I think he Was aiming for the head and was way left.