Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting

please dont be as stupid as this guy and use proper soft points for hunting applications.

softpoints will go through shoulder bone hollow points will not. he got his description wrong it wasnt a head shot

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #2

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

gut shot! might've hit some of the scapula, but with the angle of the hog and the bullet strike (dust off), it was hit kinda far back NOT to be a gut shot.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Nathantc Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 456 Times on 283 Posts

That's because he shot it in the shoulder you hit a hog their and they Will not go down I shot a hog in a trap one time with my 270 in the shoulder and all it did was break its front leg. The front half of a hogs body is a thick armor, best place to shoot them is right behind the hear or a head shot. This is just my years of experience hunting hogs on our family ranch in south Texas.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

Liked 259 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 1194

I saw one off the back and one gut shot the 3rd at that angal mayb one bad back leg. Just goes to prove shoot placement is everything.Im wondering where the 3 hogs he shoot are?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #5

Ive been told behind the ear we use dogs

Old 11-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
That's because he shot it in the shoulder you hit a hog their and they Will not go down I shot a hog in a trap one time with my 270 in the shoulder and all it did was break its front leg. The front half of a hogs body is a thick armor, best place to shoot them is right behind the hear or a head shot. This is just my years of experience hunting hogs on our family ranch in south Texas.
Ive been on 1 hog hunt so far. So if i hit one in the front have with a 30-30 whitin a 100 yds im not gana get meat? Most of my friends hunt hogs with little pistols and dogs. So i dont realy know what it would take to bring one down?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

the 45-70 with a 400-405 grain solid will go through a buffalo or horse shoulder both sides. thats what its meant to do and both of those critters have thicker bone than any hog.

most shelf ammo like what he is using is light lawyer loads for use in weak action guns. complicate that with a hollow point and you got a wounded animal instead of a dead one.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #8

lol lol well i was thinking a 45-70 kinda strong for that but the armor thing gata me thinking lol im a newbi when it comes to hogs but god i love sausage Ive got a buddie that 15 he got in 1 pic has coverd his stand im ready to hog hunt

Old 11-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #9

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

huntin buddy killed a sow today with a .45-70. shot her thru the front shoulder, about 100 yds (it was a solid point tho). she was standin broad-sided tho. dropped her where she stood..........127lbs

the guys shot placement looked high and far back.........like a gut shot to me, tho.

the video of this guy shows only 1 hog. but multiple speeds @ which the bullet impacted it.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 11-03-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #10

Liked 1758 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

I've seen videos of guys droppin hogs with behind the ear shots with a 17HMR 20 grain solid. You can't use cheap target bullets for hunting. Videos like this is how all the myths get started.