Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/why-you-dont-use-hollow-points-hunting-75588/)

JonM 11-03-2012 09:48 PM

this is why you dont use hollow points for hunting

please dont be as stupid as this guy and use proper soft points for hunting applications.

softpoints will go through shoulder bone hollow points will not. he got his description wrong it wasnt a head shot

USEBOTHHANDS 11-03-2012 09:55 PM

gut shot! might've hit some of the scapula, but with the angle of the hog and the bullet strike (dust off), it was hit kinda far back NOT to be a gut shot.

SSGSF 11-03-2012 09:58 PM

That's because he shot it in the shoulder you hit a hog their and they Will not go down I shot a hog in a trap one time with my 270 in the shoulder and all it did was break its front leg. The front half of a hogs body is a thick armor, best place to shoot them is right behind the hear or a head shot. This is just my years of experience hunting hogs on our family ranch in south Texas.

racer_x 11-03-2012 10:05 PM

I saw one off the back and one gut shot the 3rd at that angal mayb one bad back leg. Just goes to prove shoot placement is everything.Im wondering where the 3 hogs he shoot are?

racer_x 11-03-2012 10:06 PM

Ive been told behind the ear we use dogs

racer_x 11-03-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGSF (Post 1000647)
That's because he shot it in the shoulder you hit a hog their and they Will not go down I shot a hog in a trap one time with my 270 in the shoulder and all it did was break its front leg. The front half of a hogs body is a thick armor, best place to shoot them is right behind the hear or a head shot. This is just my years of experience hunting hogs on our family ranch in south Texas.

Ive been on 1 hog hunt so far. So if i hit one in the front have with a 30-30 whitin a 100 yds im not gana get meat? Most of my friends hunt hogs with little pistols and dogs. So i dont realy know what it would take to bring one down?

JonM 11-03-2012 10:15 PM

the 45-70 with a 400-405 grain solid will go through a buffalo or horse shoulder both sides. thats what its meant to do and both of those critters have thicker bone than any hog.

most shelf ammo like what he is using is light lawyer loads for use in weak action guns. complicate that with a hollow point and you got a wounded animal instead of a dead one.

racer_x 11-03-2012 10:19 PM

lol lol well i was thinking a 45-70 kinda strong for that but the armor thing gata me thinking lol im a newbi when it comes to hogs but god i love sausage Ive got a buddie that 15 he got in 1 pic has coverd his stand im ready to hog hunt

USEBOTHHANDS 11-03-2012 10:27 PM

huntin buddy killed a sow today with a .45-70. shot her thru the front shoulder, about 100 yds (it was a solid point tho). she was standin broad-sided tho. dropped her where she stood..........127lbs

the guys shot placement looked high and far back.........like a gut shot to me, tho.

the video of this guy shows only 1 hog. but multiple speeds @ which the bullet impacted it.

rjd3282 11-03-2012 10:34 PM

I've seen videos of guys droppin hogs with behind the ear shots with a 17HMR 20 grain solid. You can't use cheap target bullets for hunting. Videos like this is how all the myths get started.