Why no Buckshot for hunting? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why no Buckshot for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Well Im an old fart...

And my first shotgun is a cheap Brazilian shotgun that killed a LOT of rabbits
in the 1980's but it warned against using buckshot or slugs! It has never
fired any shells over #4 "birdshot" for use on ducks & pheasants. Most of
what that crude side by side has used is 2&3/4 #6 game loads!

Old 01-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #22

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

While 00 buckshot in a full or better choke at close range would be a great big game load,if it were "just legal" some idiot is going to try to shoot a deer from 50 yards with an unchoked #4 buckshot load and injure animals,and it would be legal to do so because in his mind he's using a legal load.That's just why I think it's illegal.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 01-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5812 Times on 3033 Posts
Likes Given: 398

i wouldnt use it simply because you cant really control where all the pellets go. pop the deer's pee-pocket and you just ruined a lot of meat. with a slug, bullet or arrow you have good control over where yor projectile will impact.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #24

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default At todays Spokane gun show

I only found one with an ajusitble choke!

Old 01-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Back to the original question-- I think using buckshot, patterned properly, under 30 yards and aiming for the head and neck areas will bring down a deer.
I think if one thinks so buckshot as 9-12 32 caliber bullets traveling at 1000 ft/sec and at least half of these hitting the target with a properly placed hit will do the job.
NOW let's look at my statement:
properly patterned
shot placement-not inaccurate skills
under 30 yards.
All of the above have been abused in the past and have resulted in wounded and maimed animals . I can agree that many buckshot hunters do not fall within the proper use of buckshot so the State takes actions that protects animals from these "hunters"
I personally will use slugs as stated, as I can hit what I aim at or will not take the shot

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #26
RMc

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Buckshot Does Not Equal Spray and Pray!

Buckshot does not equal spray and pray!

The last deer I killed with small buckshot, in this case Federal Premium 00B, was with a running shot at 40 yards. My pattern tested full choke shotgun consistently placed 12 pellets into a well centered 18 inch pattern at that distance. I intentionally swung the bead just ahead and below the head of the running deer. The 6 pellet strike in the head, neck and body sent the deer head over heels - dead right there.

A deliberate shot, with a well tested shotgun and buckshot load, is not spray and pray.

Today, with tight patterning 3 pellet/.60 caliber Dixie Tri-Ball buckshot, I deliberately target the shoulder. Again with a well tested firearm and load, I would not hesitate to take 50 yard shots of the same type and expect a DRT with complete penetration or at worst a very strong blood trail leading directly to my kill.

The capabilities of today's best buckshot loads have doubled the effective range of buckshot, just as modern slug ammo has done for shotgun slugs.

Yes, there are too many archers who don't practice and leave wounded game in the woods. Yes, there are too many rifle hunters with poorly sighted rifles, taking questionable long shots and leaving wounded game in the woods. Yes, there are too many shotgun slug using hunters that don't understand the limitations of their ammo and leave wounded game in the woods. Yes, there are also shotgunners who take excessively long shots with untested buckshot loads. This type of hunter will continue to exist and sully the reputation of all ethical hunters - whatever the hunting tool chosen.

Taking shots beyond the tested sure range of buckshot, slug, handgun, rifle, arrow or shooter ability is completely unethical.

Last edited by RMc; 01-11-2011 at 04:35 PM.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well said and agreed

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #28

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Indiana doesn't allow buckshot. It is only recently that they allow pistol caliber rifles (.357 or better). And handguns (also .357 or better) and muzzle loaders are within my adult lifetime.