Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why I don't hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Growing up in NY I never had a chance to to hunt or own a gun!.Now that I live in Wis.I like to hunt started out with chipmonks,squirrels now next month going for deer it also helps if you like being in the woods.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:48 PM   #12

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The biggest problem I had hunting as a teenager, and probably the reason I never got a deer, is when my feet get cold I start shuffling around and I'm ready to go inside.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:13 AM   #13

I quit hunting (elk) about 28 years ago, partially because I left my comfort zone and places I knew (Colo.), but mostly because I don't understand the "draw" for a tag and the different zones where I now live.
I think I would have to take a guide or attorney with me.
A young spike elk is some good eating though!

I still pheasant hunt, but no extra license is required in addition to the fishing/small game combo. Have only got 2 birds in the last 4 years, but the dog in the avatar has a good time pretending to be a bird dog, and I enjoy our time together in the field even if we don't find birds.

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 10-18-2011, 02:18 AM   #14
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
and I enjoy our time together in the field even if we don't find birds.
and THAT, good sir, is what hunting is ALL about!

It aint about the numbers of tree rats or peasents, the number of points on the rack or even, dare i say, meat in the freezer/table. But about time spent in the great outdoors, communing with the creator, spending time with friends/family and creating tales/memories.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #15

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
and THAT, good sir, is what hunting is ALL about!

It aint about the numbers of tree rats or peasents, the number of points on the rack or even, dare i say, meat in the freezer/table. But about time spent in the great outdoors, communing with the creator, spending time with friends/family and creating tales/memories.
I couldn't agree more. Nothing like watching the woods come to life as the sun rises.

Winchester 100 .243; Marlin XS7 .308; Stevens 200 .223; Rossi 92 .45LC; Marlin 1894C .357M; Marlin 30AS .30-30; NEF Pardner Pump 12ga; Mossberg 500 Turkey 20ga; Winchester 1200 20ga; Savage Mark II F .22LR; Henry H001 .22LR; Marlin 60SB .22LR; Ruger 10/22 DSP .22LR; Browning SA-22 .22LR; Savage 93R17 GV .17HMR; Remington Genesis .50 cal ML; Ruger SR1911 .45ACP; Ruger Vaquero .45LC; Ruger Blackhawk .357M; Ruger SR9c 9mm; Ruger Single-Six .22LR; Browning Buck Mark Camper .22LR

Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #16

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My ex wife had never hunted or gutted and skinned a deer or elk and never cut one up for the freezer. Afterone season of hunting with me she said she never realized how basicly simple it was.
As far as the regulations the fish and game publishes them and are any where you go to buy your permit and tags. Or you can just go talk to a game warden and they will usualy know where to point you and explain anything as far as the regs to you.
You tube has vids of gutting and skinning and if your not comforatable with butchering your own meat just take it to a processor.
Its not rocket science cave men did it.This forum has people from all over and can explain to you the best methods of hunting deer in there specific state and area.Im sure some one in here has experience in your area.
I would start out with a visit to the local game warden.Then watch some vids on gutting and skinning.Make sure you have a place to hang a deer like a garage or shed and line up a processor to cut your meat.
Once you talk with the game warden and figure out where your going to hunt. I would come right back in here and get some advice on how to find a deer.Then get up early in the moring and carry your hieny out in the woods and harvest some meat.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #17

You can always choose to go with an outfitter. Using an outfitter allows you to hunt and receive some great education as well.

Depending on the game and your arangements with the outfitter, they will handle your game and teach you what to do.

If you enjoy hunting,, but don't really want to get elbow deep in the animal, the outfitter can handle that as well.

On bigger game, the outfitter can make you much more successful as they have managed te land and feed regularly and the game are on the ranches. You don't have to do all the work, but you get to just enjoy the hunt.

Good luck - Craig

Heart of Texas Guided Hunts
hotguidedhunts.net
texasthermalhoghunts.com

Old 10-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #18

My Dad never hunted, although I think he would have enjoyed it. Growing up I always wanted to go hunting, and finally in my early 20's I just dove in head first. Got a bow, a license, and spent the most of the next decade (on and off) wandering around the woods unsuccessfully hunting. But I did enjoy it. I read as much as I could and talked to people who hunted and finally, ten years after I first started, got my first deer, gutted it and brought it to the butcher. After that disaster I'll try butchering my next one myself.
The point is, read the laws, try to find a place that seems like a good spot and is legal, and hunt the heck out of it.

Hopefully you'll learn quicker than I did.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:14 AM   #19

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

My dad was an avid outdoorsman. He lived to hunt and fish. My brother used to tag along with him when he was afield with the shotgun, but sadly he died before we were old enough to hunt with him.

I learned mostly from magazines and my friends who I hunted with. Doves, quail, pheasant, prairie chickens were our prey. I have lots of friends who own land and getting a place to hunt isn't a problem for me. I just don't seem to have time anymore. I took my oldest son out with me many times, but my youngest hasn't gone once. I've only hunted a couple of times in the last 10 years. Pitiful.

I've never hunted deer, but have gone out with friends and helped my brother find deer he has taken with bow. I don't really like the taste of venison, so I leave that alone.

So, Yunus, my suggestion is to find some buds who hunt and see if you can tag along with them to learn the ropes. You don't even have to actively participate in the shooting to still have a great time. I've had some of the best times of my life just wandering around afield without even getting to take a shot.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 10-29-2011, 04:07 AM   #20

Liked 103 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I grew up in rural Michigan and hunting is a part of everyone's lifestyle here even if you don't hunt,because there will be at least someone you know who does,schools are even closed on opening day of deer season,and everywhere you go you see orange and an orange cap on all the pickup trucks' dashes.I love deer hunting,didn't start until I was in my 20's but it came as second nature,but it's really a whole lifestyle thing,you should either go all out or don't go at all,that includes most importantly all year firearm practice to make the right shot and an understanding and love for being in nature.BTW don't forget to watch the new TV show tomorrow night on National Geographic Wild called "The Incredible Dr.Pol",I live just a few miles from his veteranary clinic and he has even been our vet for the goats we used to raise when I was a kid,the preview showed him shooting a few guns off his back deck.That's normal and common around here.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves