You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

Why Do You Hunt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default It is a farm boys dream!

I grew up on a farm in southern Indiana. I started out like all kids at a young age with a BB gun (several) I went through every kind of Daisy, Crosman, Sheridan and more. Then I earned the right to get the mighty a 410 H&R Topper Junior full choke. Now you talk about a shotgun that will make you a better shot (especially when you are only given one shell at a time and a talkin to after you miss and WHY! Believe me I was the BEST quail shot in the county, by the time Dad and Grandad was done with me. The day I a was allowed 5 shells while squirrel hunting and came back with 4 squirrels and all shells were gone, was the best life learned lesson I have ever experience in the hunting field. You see I had the opportunity to shoot the 5th squirrel that was leaving the tree, but instead I shot the 4th squirrel out of the same old beach tree, because it was still hanging and I was taught to be a avid hunter that cares about the animals you hunt, not the amount you shoot at or bring home! I have never forgot that message and the feeling that my Dad's proud eyes told me, when I explained the story! It doesn't get any better than that, except when you get to take your grandchilden hunting and teach them the same understanding of hunting! Which I have and get to continue to do. That's what hunting means to me.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #22

Default Grandson last weekend

Well I had all the grandkids over last weekend. And of course the oldest 9 now what to do some shooting. He has shot his BB guns and 22 rifles quit a bit and the little s*** is pretty darn good. Anyway he wanted to shoot the 410 for the first time. Now this boy is very small frame and 60 lbs soaking wet if that? I asked him if he was sure? Yes PaPa I'm sure! so I got everything set up and some 2 1/2 in. shells with some pop cans out about 20 plus yards. Asked him the normal questions on what do do and safety of the gun first off, got his hearing protection on and he when at it. Shooting the first can clean up in the air and blastering the pattern as close to dead center according to the snow as he could have done. Think I was proud of this boy? Why h*** yes I was. Now come the best part. He has shot his limit in pop cans, and my granddaughter which is 5 years old come out the door behind us and asked. Papa when am I going to get my turn? Never shot a gun before, YET! Guys my eyes welled up with happy tears to no end. Ain't life grand!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #23

Liked 1465 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermike View Post
Well I had all the grandkids over last weekend. And of course the oldest 9 now what to do some shooting. He has shot his BB guns and 22 rifles quit a bit and the little s*** is pretty darn good. Anyway he wanted to shoot the 410 for the first time. Now this boy is very small frame and 60 lbs soaking wet if that? I asked him if he was sure? Yes PaPa I'm sure! so I got everything set up and some 2 1/2 in. shells with some pop cans out about 20 plus yards. Asked him the normal questions on what do do and safety of the gun first off, got his hearing protection on and he when at it. Shooting the first can clean up in the air and blastering the pattern as close to dead center according to the snow as he could have done. Think I was proud of this boy? Why h*** yes I was. Now come the best part. He has shot his limit in pop cans, and my granddaughter which is 5 years old come out the door behind us and asked. Papa when am I going to get my turn? Never shot a gun before, YET! Guys my eyes welled up with happy tears to no end. Ain't life grand!!!

Why Do You Hunt? - Hunting Forum

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #24

Default Meat !!

I have been hunting nearly my entire life. I live in Oregon, and I hunt mostly Elk, some Deer. I hunt for food. I love the expirience and everything that goes with it. I rarely buy meat, I just open one of the freezers and there is what I need. (and want). My whole family hunts, and most of time we go togather and make it a kind of family vacation. We have bow hunters, rifle hunters, and now pistol hunters (large). Someone gets one, everyone get some.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #25

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3502 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermike View Post
Plus Effing One Hundred!! Responsible Gun ownership and teaching the youth of tomorrow For The M.F.ing Win!!

Excellent work sir! I respect your dedication to allowing safe and responsible gun ownership carry on down the line.

JD

Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #26

Liked 1465 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKimber View Post
I have been hunting nearly my entire life. I live in Oregon, and I hunt mostly Elk, some Deer. I hunt for food. I love the expirience and everything that goes with it. I rarely buy meat, I just open one of the freezers and there is what I need. (and want). My whole family hunts, and most of time we go togather and make it a kind of family vacation. We have bow hunters, rifle hunters, and now pistol hunters (large). Someone gets one, everyone get some.
"Someone gets one, everyone get some." That should be on a plaque somewhere, or at least a bumper sticker! Why Do You Hunt? - Hunting Forum

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #27

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3502 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
"Someone gets one, everyone get some." That should be on a plaque somewhere, or at least a bumper sticker! Why Do You Hunt? - Hunting Forum

Plus One Hundred on that as well! MrKimber is welcome in our little piece of Zombie Free America after the Obamageddon takes full effect.

JD

Old 02-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #28

Why?
Cause I can and I love doing it
Love to deer hunt and call coyotes and occasional bobcat. Also turkey and dove

Old 02-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

44 years of mainly big game hunting.substanance mainly had a family to feed.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My Grand father was a avid hunter/fisherman, bought me my first .410 shotgun and gave me one of his old .22s at a young age. He was not in great health when I was a preteen, but did his best taking me on some pheasant hunts and fishing. He even bought my dad a nice Winchester 101 over/under 20 gauge to try to get him in to hunting, but some are hunters and some are not. Luckly living in south central Kansas in a small town had plenty of buddies that were into hunting.
Although upland bird season, deer are over, have taken out my flushing lab the last two days, have walked over 11 miles with her, just enjoying the crisp outdoors. Have toted along my .17 cal on the chance of busting a yote, skunk, or bobcat. None were found though, but not why I was there. Boils down to I am at my best outdoors and with a firearm of some type in my hands. Good scouting on deer trails and turkey activity, hurry up March gobbler season!!