Why Do You Hunt? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why Do You Hunt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hunt because I can (and for the meat and hide). I love a good venison steak. Lately, though, I have not hunted deer and elk as much as I used to. I have gotten into the waterfowling a lot more. Fewer idiots out there shooting at anything that moves.

The excitement of the waterfowl is tough to beat. Plus, being on private property helps a lot. You can generally get the birds to work into your decoys a lot better than if you are on public grounds.

I used to hunt pheasants, but they are now practically nonexistent in most parts of Utah unless you go to a game farm. Mighty fine tasting bird.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:38 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal408 View Post
What/who first got you into hunting, what type of hunting do you prefer and why do you enjoy hunting? Oh and how many years you have under your belt! I know everyones got different stories, interested in hearing them
bb guns and birds got me into hunting, as for y food and fun and ive been hunting for about 11 yrs now. primarily just hunt small game rabbit, squirrel and love terminating groundhogs

Old 11-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #13

My dad got me into hunting when I was about 9. I love being out in the woods where it quiet and peacefull. A lot of times just sitting and watching the other critters that come by is worth it all.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #14

My dad taught me how to shoot and hunt when I was able to understand gun safety. I think I was 7 or 8 when I got my first shotgun, a Winchester bolt 410 single. Still have it. I learned to shoot a rifle using a Winchester Mod 06 pump 22. Still have that one too. Dad made sure us kids, (sister, brother, and me) could hit a bottle cap at 100 yards. Said a deer’s eye was just about that size, and if we could hit that, we’d never go hungry. Have to say, I never went a day without food when I was a kid, and ate alot of things folks today would turn their nose up at. My dad taught me to never shot anything that I wasn’t going to eat, and I never did until I went in the military. Stopped hunting for food then, just didn’t stop hunting. I still get out in the woods quite often, just to keep the hunting skills up, and enjoy nature, and get out on the range almost every week. Now it’s just the old Winchester 06 22 and the Ruger Blackhawk single six 22. Love to burn up a brick and a deck of bicycles on the 20 & 100-yard range. You never know when you’ll have to start shooting critters again.

An armed society is a safe society.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Old 11-23-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
DKA

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Started Foxhunting with my father at age 6, at age 12 started Deer Hunting and Bird Hunting, (51) years ago. Today with 51 years of hunting experience, have son and grandson that hunt, because of me. I love hunting and think that it is part of the American Heritage. Think that it makes us appreciate the country that we live in, enjoying the beautiful scenery and abundance of wildlife that our country has to offer. Am also a Hunter Safety Instructor, because believe if all of our young people understood the power that they carry in a firearm, and were taught to respect that power. Don't think that there would be as many crimes with guns of different types.

Keep on doing what you are doing now and you will keep on getting what you are getting now.

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Old 11-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

right on more youth need that and even some adaults

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 11-25-2008, 02:00 AM   #17

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I hunt deer, rabbit, squirrel and coyote all for food except the last one, I hunt them cause thay are a pest on the farm. My father-in-law has cows and chickens and turkeys that they use to get eggs from and coyotes kill his chickens all the time, so we hunt them. He got me into hunting about 5 years ago when I started dating his daughter.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I spent this past weekend surrounded by deer. I heard them breathe, snorte, stomp, all around of me and some of them with in 20 yards. My heart was beating a mile a minute, the excitement was awesome!! I never got a chance to squeeze the trigger, but the hunt was amazing!! I loved every minute of it and I thank God for the chance.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-27-2009, 03:48 PM   #19

Default Bout perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I hunt becuase I enjoy being out in the woods with no one else around. It gives me time to clear my head, pray, reflect on myself and whats going on. It also lets me enjoy God's creation.
I enjoy the challenge of hunting whether it be bird, deer, turkey, small game, whatever. I eat everything I shoot, I don't believe in just killing to kill or to hang it on my wall. I like the way it tastes, plus is leaner and hormone free!!
That is one of the best statements on hunting I have ever read. I love deer meat, squirrell gray, and bear meat. I don't think I ever saw it put so well. Hat's off to you friend.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #20

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri_1 View Post
My dad got me into hunting when I was about 9. I love being out in the woods where it quiet and peacefull. A lot of times just sitting and watching the other critters that come by is worth it all.
Sounds familiar. I first shot my Dad’s M1911A1 in 1955 at age 9. Went into the woods hunting with him (carrying a 20ga that was way too big for me) at age 11. Lots of learning goin' on while watching my Dad!
I didn’t get my first rabbit until 13 and a pheasant the following year. (great freakin' memories!)

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello