Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why Do You Hunt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Why Do You Hunt?

What/who first got you into hunting, what type of hunting do you prefer and why do you enjoy hunting? Oh and how many years you have under your belt! I know everyones got different stories, interested in hearing them

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 AM   #2

Who/what?
- Family "tradition"
Type?
- Deer/hog
Why?
- I live in the middle of a deer lease that my great(great) grandfather owned, and he was game warden of the county, so my father's uncle currently owns it. Always deer coming around and getting into the wrong person's cow pastures.

Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American.

~ George S. Patton (1944)

Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #3

Default friends dad

mates old man got me into hunting when i went to stay at their property,
pigs and wild dogs,that was 14 years ago, now they have a feral cat problem and i help with that. 00 wicked at 15 metres, .308 entertaining at 100.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #4

i also hunt mainly to supplement monthly meat order. buying meat out here can prove horribly expensive. beef 14.50/kg mutton 11.50/kg chicken 10.50/kg and thats for the cheapest cuts i can buy.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I hunt becuase I enjoy being out in the woods with no one else around. It gives me time to clear my head, pray, reflect on myself and whats going on. It also lets me enjoy God's creation.
I enjoy the challenge of hunting whether it be bird, deer, turkey, small game, whatever. I eat everything I shoot, I don't believe in just killing to kill or to hang it on my wall. I like the way it tastes, plus is leaner and hormone free!!

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #6

This fall when the daughter (the youngest and last child) heads off to college then hunting can start. I've wanted to go hunting since I was a little kid, just never had the opportunity. The adults I knew who did saw it as a chore to be preformed to stretch the food budget and quit just as soon as they could. Most of those guys had been through WW II and weren't into it so much. My father hated it since he forced to do it as a child growing up in a rural environment.

The reason will be for meat, using the hides / skins and hanging the heads on the wall as remembrances of the hunt.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I love the rush involved with tracking the animal and stalking into it. I've never taken a shot at greater than 75 feet, so it's quite a bit of work to keep from spooking the animal as you stalk into it.

I also, like most, do it for the meat and hides. I hunt mostly deer and pig. The bummer thing is that pig is way easier to stalk than deer are.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 693 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Deer and dove hunting are my favorites. Hog hunting is pretty fun in Central Texas because it's so up close and personal.

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
Deer and dove hunting are my favorites. Hog hunting is pretty fun in Central Texas because it's so up close and personal.
You guys have javelinas down there? I've heard they can be really fun to hunt when they're in the rut.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:11 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I hunt becuase I enjoy being out in the woods with no one else around. It gives me time to clear my head, pray, reflect on myself and whats going on. It also lets me enjoy God's creation.
I enjoy the challenge of hunting whether it be bird, deer, turkey, small game, whatever. I eat everything I shoot, I don't believe in just killing to kill or to hang it on my wall. I like the way it tastes, plus is leaner and hormone free!!
Its a shame not every, person can see things in such a way. Or at least understand that hunters are not mindless relentless homicidal freaks. We're just hunting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
I love the rush involved with tracking the animal and stalking into it. I've never taken a shot at greater than 75 feet, so it's quite a bit of work to keep from spooking the animal as you stalk into it.

I also, like most, do it for the meat and hides. I hunt mostly deer and pig. The bummer thing is that pig is way easier to stalk than deer are.
the chance of failure is what makes the awards so great. the challenge is the best part haha

Last edited by metal408; 11-05-2008 at 04:13 AM.