Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why do people hunt coyotes? can you eat them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 04:21 AM   #71
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6114 Times on 3704 Posts
Likes Given: 6920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
Side question: What is it about sirens that drives coyotes crazy? Does it sound like another pack to them? That's the only thing I can think of, but you'd think as smart as coyotes are they'd know sirens weren't other coyotes.

If any of you guys have never heard them stirred up by a siren, you're missing a show.
My dogs howl when they hear sirens. I don't know what it is about the sirens, either. Once a month, Tuesday morning, 1000, the town tests the tornado warning sirens. The dogs run to me and we all howl together.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2227 Times on 1447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

My dogs howl when they hear sirens. I don't know what it is about the sirens, either. Once a month, Tuesday morning, 1000, the town tests the tornado warning sirens. The dogs run to me and we all howl together.
Lol. The dog I lost a couple years ago used to sing with me real good. The yellow lab I have now just looks at me like I'm crazy.

Feral cat waterboarder

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #73

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1

Lol. The dog I lost a couple years ago used to sing with me real good. The yellow lab I have now just looks at me like I'm crazy.
Smart dog
Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1665 Times on 915 Posts
Likes Given: 2443

Yeah, coyotes are mean animals but they are not invincible. i once saw a friends big catch dog attacked by a coyote while hog hunting. That dog killed a 50 pound coyote in about five seconds.

i like to watch a another friends Russian wolfhounds work over coyotes. She also has a pair of mutts trained to attract coyotes and lead the coyote to the shooter.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1632 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 3375

I have a friend that hunts coyotes with dogs. Lean & mean dogs!
The dogs have tracking collars. They have chase dogs, and kill dogs. If the chase dogs get tired, fresh ones are put on the yote.
When the yote gets tired of running, the kill dogs are turned loose.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #76
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5633 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
I have a friend that hunts coyotes with dogs. Lean & mean dogs!
The dogs have tracking collars. They have chase dogs, and kill dogs. If the chase dogs get tired, fresh ones are put on the yote.
When the yote gets tired of running, the kill dogs are turned loose.
I would love to see this on bears, but that would be one heck of a dog for the "kill dog", like fed by pole scary.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 09-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #77

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Put your pooch on a line in a coyote infested area and see what happens. They eat other canines and are not close to mans best freind. My fox hound can't stand them. She would come home every morning covered in blood if I let her run them down at night. She wakes me up sometimes 3..4 times a night begging to let her out.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #78

Liked 200 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Yeah, coyotes are mean animals but they are not invincible. i once saw a friends big catch dog attacked by a coyote while hog hunting. That dog killed a 50 pound coyote in about five seconds.

i like to watch a another friends Russian wolfhounds work over coyotes. She also has a pair of mutts trained to attract coyotes and lead the coyote to the shooter.
My dad read an article about this somewhere and told me about it, I would really like to see the dogs which are supposed to attract the coyote at work, we hunt them with hounds around here, turn the hounds on the track in the snow and get in front of them once the coyote is jumped and shoot it if we can, I have heard people refer to "catch dogs" or "kill dogs", however I believe it is illegal in my state to allow your hound to harm the animal being hunted whether it be coon, coyote, bear, bobcat, whatever, the dog is supposed to run the track, tree the animal or hold it at bay for the hunter to make the kill, however this isn't always how it happens, obviously the hunter cannot have complete control over the dogs and the wild animal as they can move much faster than a human can get to them and make the kill sometimes.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 09-07-2012, 11:50 PM   #79

Liked 200 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
Even if your dog could "take" a coyote, you're still taking an extremely unnecessary risk of rabies infection or some other type of infection

Plus, they wreak havoc on farmers...sheep, chickens, etc.

They're literally better off dead.
I agree 100%, while alot of dogs may be bigger than the coyote the wild animals are extremely vicious when cornered, one dog against a coyote will have a tough time with a coyote most the time, 2 dogs can kill a coyote much easier, but they will both come out of it fairly torn up most the time, same with a good sized coon, they can do serious damage. Rabies should always be a concerned with the wild animals however in these parts with the population so out of control mange is the biggest problem in the coyote pack and the domestic dog is able to catch it.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #80
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6114 Times on 3704 Posts
Likes Given: 6920

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I agree 100%, while alot of dogs may be bigger than the coyote the wild animals are extremely vicious when cornered, one dog against a coyote will have a tough time with a coyote most the time, 2 dogs can kill a coyote much easier, but they will both come out of it fairly torn up most the time, same with a good sized coon, they can do serious damage. Rabies should always be a concerned with the wild animals however in these parts with the population so out of control mange is the biggest problem in the coyote pack and the domestic dog is able to catch it.
Hopefully our pet dogs are vaccinated for rabies. It's a pretty effective vaccination.

My sister had a Australian Shepard that would sometimes tangle with coons on her farm. He'd always kill the coon but it wasn't easy for him and he was one tough dog. When he got to be around 5 years old, he stopped messing with the coons. I think he knew he was beyond his prime and couldn't take them down so easily any more.