Why do people hunt coyotes? can you eat them? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why do people hunt coyotes? can you eat them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 06:09 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop

I lost a dog to a coyote attack when I was a kid

I'll hunt those sons of bitches into extinction ... They are nothing but pests and serve no role, at all, to our ecology
Amen to that I've lost countless amounts of beloved cats

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #62

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

coyotes are some of the smartest animal in the huntin arena. you ONLY GET ONE CHANCE to fool a sly old coyote (pronounced 'khy yo tee'; not phonetically correct.)

even though coyotes can be labelled as "omnivores" they are more like ants, and fall more along the lines of "opportunists"...........they WON'T turn down a meal of any kind, be it fresh seafood, or fresh lima beans. in fact, the best bait in the WORLD is dead skunk carcass.

as for comparin them to dogs, well, compared to a dog, coyotes are PhD Rocket Scientists AND PhD Physicists and dogs are sittin in the corner wearin a "dunce" cap.

for their size, coyotes are 2 - 3 times stronger than most dogs and prolly 2 - 3 times faster. the thing is, a coyote is fightin for it's life, and a dog is fightin because it was told to. i've seen a gut shot coyote almost kill 3 walker hounds (that had been trained to hunt coyotes)...............granted, it was a really large male, but still, if we hadda gotten there about 5 minutes later, the walker hounds woulda been in BAD shape.

kill'em all!!!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 09-06-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #63
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7788 Times on 4676 Posts
Likes Given: 9771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
My boy is 110 pounds of German Shephard and I wouldn't want him encountering one either.

Where there is one, there are others.

While I am sure in a fair fight he could take one, if anything did happen to him, it would kill me too brother.
Even one on one, I don't think a large dog and a coyote is a fair fight. Our dogs are domesticated. A coyote has the savvy and 'street smarts' our dogs don't necessarily have anymore.
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #64

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Even one on one, I don't think a large dog and a coyote is a fair fight. Our dogs are domesticated. A coyote has the savvy and 'street smarts' our dogs don't necessarily have anymore.
Even if your dog could "take" a coyote, you're still taking an extremely unnecessary risk of rabies infection or some other type of infection

Plus, they wreak havoc on farmers...sheep, chickens, etc.

They're literally better off dead.
blucoondawg Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #65

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

We had a bunch of them show up here back in 05. Big ones, 60-80+ lb or so. First indicator was when I let the cats out at sunup. In just seconds they had turned back and were puffed up and yowling to be let in. I did then looked out (shotgun nearby) thinking they had spotted a bear. Nope just the biggest coyote I had ever seen standing near the corner of the house. Smart cats. It looked at me, then trotted off.

A few days later my wife (a small, but very gentle woman, who disliked guns and hunting and was always pretty negative about my bringing venison to the table (although she did eat it)) had what some would call a negative experience with them. I had told her about the critter and she agreed to not let the cats out for awhile, but was sure I was mistaken and it was probably just someone's pet dog. Whatever, the cats weren't going out (they were displaying no discernible interest in such anyway). One day I was at work and my wife was doing her thing. She came back from a shopping trip and was getting bags out of the car when she saw two of them come out of the woods and slowly approach. She started towards the house watching them, then something made her look around and there were two more coming from the other direction running at the house as fast as they could. She dropped her bags of clothes and booked for the front door and somehow managed to get the key in and the door open and inside before they reached her. They circled the house for awhile until she finally got a pistol and fired a shot out a window into the ground near them. She later reported to me the big one just looked at her then slowly trotted off and the others followed.

It could have been tragic, but it went kind of funny from my perspective. She calls me on the cell, tells me what happened, then says, "find them and kill them, all of them."

Not one to let an opportunity to jab go by, I pointed out that that would involve guns and hunting. She said, "I don't care. Just kill them."

I love pro-gun conversions.

It took two weeks, but I believe I got them all. At least I haven't seen one since. Should also point out that in the same time frame a neighbor lost some sheep and a different neighbor all his ducks and some chickens.

Last edited by superc; 09-06-2012 at 10:04 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by superc View Post
Not one to let an opportunity to jab go by, I pointed out that that would involve guns and hunting. She said, "I don't care. Just kill them."
This made me think, "does anybody bow hunt for coyotes?". I mean, c'mon, that would seem to be a serious challenge.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #67

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
This made me think, "does anybody bow hunt for coyotes?". I mean, c'mon, that would seem to be a serious challenge.
Yeah. Considering they are about the smartest damn things out there next to man.

I've been on a couple of coyote hunts. One time I was with my buddy and we saw this bastard from about 3 and half times the reach of the AR I had on hand at the time. Glassed him through the scope and he was definitely big enough to warrant a shot, but it was just kind of milling around and not doing much, so we went on a creep.

I bet we got within 100 yards of that f**ker with it not doing a damn thing but walking around playing dumbass. Giving me side view after side view, almost like he was some circus target.

We find a nice berm with a good angle and lie down all quiet like. I didn't even have to flip the scope covers up, but the minute I put that damn rifle to my shoulder Wolfie ups and looks right at us and takes off down the hill away from our position.

To this day I believe, when I see the replay of my life while awaiting judgement, the God-Cam is going to zoom in on that bastard's face all slo-mo Michael Bay style and I am going to be able to read his lips as he tells me to go fornicate myself.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #68

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I shot one at 20 yards with my bow once while out hunting deer. Spent all opening morning looking for the thing. I was more happy about bagging a coyote than I was a deer.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #69

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
I hear them almost nightly around my house.
Get woke up by them most every night. Some nights it sounds like a horror movie in the tree farm beside my house.

Side question: What is it about sirens that drives coyotes crazy? Does it sound like another pack to them? That's the only thing I can think of, but you'd think as smart as coyotes are they'd know sirens weren't other coyotes.

If any of you guys have never heard them stirred up by a siren, you're missing a show.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #70

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I have had many misadventures coyote hunting from a standing shot at 150 yds and then blasting away as he ran off at 200, 250, 300, 350. I would lead him and aim in front of his nose about 2ft high, the bullet would strike on the ground but right beside his shoulder. I would love to have that one for a do over! Another hunt I had a Marlin 22LR bolt, I called one in at 75 yds and fired the 1st shot. I don't know if I hit him but he bolted and I was able to work the bolt for 6 more shots at him trying to get the lead, I never did see him go down! Another one for the do over list.
The avatar is one of the toughest coyotes I have killed. I called him in and fired a shot at 100 yds with my mini 14 and 55 gr Nosler bt. I saw him go down the holler in a tumble, I rushed to the edge of the field for a quick view for more that I has seen in a pack the weekend before, no luck. I went back to were I marked this one down but only blood, no coyote. I started following the trail down the bottom of the holler for about 200 yds, good blood trail but no coyote. I followed the trail up to the top again, 75 yds and across the road, blood was getting spotty but could track. I trailed along a fence line for about 50 yds and the blood is getting lighter, he moves back across the road into the wooded section of the field. The blood is very spotty now and I am thinking he will be balled up anytime with no blood left. I followed to the edge of the wood and open field, very hard to see the trail now so I ref the general direction of the last known trail. I move toward a small holler in the field and see him crawling with 3 legs and dragging 1. I move in and get the 2nd shot in the back of the head to finish the chase almost another 200 yds after he crossed the road into the field. They are very tough, the 1st shot cut across his chest and took out 1 leg, nice clean wound channel that bled out. I am hooked on coyote hunting more than anything else, turkey is a close 2nd. The challenge of getting them to come to you with a call or prey sound. I even bought the Primos Alpha Dog caller, very nice!! Good hunting!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

orangello Likes This