Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why do people hunt coyotes? can you eat them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
If I may, I don't believe tri70's comment about city people not needing guns was his actual opinion, I believe he was simply saying that as a way to show the op that his point of view is some what flawed.
Thank you! Exactly my point, I know why we have to defend ourselves from many things no matter where you live.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by tri70; 09-02-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #32

Location: Flatwoods and Swamps of Florida, United States of America
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Problem is that too many game commissions listen to people like this and of course we sure don't want to offend tax payers even thought they don't have any expertise in the subject.

I worked for a State Forestry agency for 37 years and you wouldn't believe the number of people I ran into that had opinions and answers with no facts to back them up.

Last edited by Highhawk8; 09-02-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #33

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Deer kill livestock, and puppies.

I wont be happy untill the last deer is strsgled with the guts of the last coyote!

Old 09-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #34
Hdq

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70

Why do people in the city need guns? They have no place to shoot and have to pay for range fees. You only need a cell phone to call for help if needed. All the food can be bought at a store. So why do city folk need guns?
Because there is a right to bear arms in the united states and we respect firearms and there amazing power our great country gives us the privlage to own firearms it is actually a right not a privlage some a hole thugs dont give a damn about the law probably and one on drugs will break into your home and murder you dead sad and it happens all the time as a marine veteran and an armed security guard Ive learned that the firearms is simply a tool. I love my firearms and respect the law. we are all on the same side here. we all abide by the law and love our firearms so please lets not argue and bicker like idiots amongst ourselves over why city boys have guns that is childish and I also love to go hunting! and if I must I am able to defend my family. better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Also check out that idiot that shot people in the movie theaters in aurora if more people were armed things like that would less likley happen

Old 09-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #35

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdq View Post
Because there is a right to bear arms in the united states and we respect firearms and there amazing power our great country gives us the privlage to own firearms it is actually a right not a privlage some a hole thugs dont give a damn about the law probably and one on drugs will break into your home and murder you dead sad and it happens all the time as a marine veteran and an armed security guard Ive learned that the firearms is simply a tool. I love my firearms and respect the law. we are all on the same side here. we all abide by the law and love our firearms so please lets not argue and bicker like idiots amongst ourselves over why city boys have guns that is childish and I also love to go hunting! and if I must I am able to defend my family. better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it. Also check out that idiot that shot people in the movie theaters in aurora if more people were armed things like that would less likley happen
Several members took offense to you calling coyote hunters a-holes myself included. We want defend out pets, livestock and family just like you.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #36
Hdq

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg

So let me get this straight, I am an a$$hole if I go off the property I own in search of game to kill because that game is not doing anything to bother me or my livestock? So all the people who travel north out of the cities for deer season around here are asshats because those animals aren't on their property? I hunt because I like to hunt, it gives me enjoyment an challenge to go out in the woods and try to kill an animal whether it be a deer, rabbit, squirrel, turkey, coyote, coon, bear, wolf whatever, I don't need to do this as many of these animals aren't doing me any harm and I can afford to go to the local grocery and buy food, but I still hunt because I enjoy it and I enjoy eating wild game. As far as wolves go I'd far rather shoot a wolf than a coyote, I will add a couple picks to show you why, do some research and you will find this a common occurrence in wolf country.
You live in a remote are so its okay you must do what you have to that dosent mean your an ******* I live in a city and the only reason I hunt is beacuase you cant get delicious venison or roasted duck or quail soup or bbqed wild hog they are delicious! But for a city folk to kill a coyote? For what? Thats my point.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #37
Hdq

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70
Several members took offense to you calling coyote hunters a-holes myself included. We want defend out pets, livestock and family just like you.
Im sorry guys I live in a city and I didnt know this stuff happens but know I know im truley sorry you must do what you have too but if you live in a city and go out just to kill coyote thats not even in your area than your an *******! I live in a city and the only reason I hunt is for meat you cant by at the store so again sorry country folks

Old 09-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #38

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

Coyotes are a pain, kill livestock, pets, etc. What difference is there in who does the killing? If a rancher or farmer is too busy to spend all day hunting them, its not ok for a for someone else to hunt for them? You make no sense.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #39

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:

Im sorry guys I live in a city and I didnt know this stuff happens but know I know im truley sorry you must do what you have too but if you live in a city and go out just to kill coyote thats not even in your area than your an *******! I live in a city and the only reason I hunt is for meat you cant by at the store so again sorry country folks
I think another point you may be missing is that coyotes do effect you in the city. When a farmer loses livestock that is a loss to his business. Therefore for the cost to do business just went up. That being said the price of goods that farmers provide such as food and clothing in the store you shop in go up. It's the same as when some one steals off the shelf. Price of business just went up. So predators do effect you in an indirect way.

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 muscles to smile. But only 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #40

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
You live in a remote are so its okay you must do what you have to that dosent mean your an ******* I live in a city and the only reason I hunt is beacuase you cant get delicious venison or roasted duck or quail soup or bbqed wild hog they are delicious! But for a city folk to kill a coyote? For what? Thats my point.
You live in the city and you like to hunt. Other people live in the city and like to hunt also. If the coyotes are killing the game where they like to hunt, or posing a threat to their hunting dogs, they might like to hunt coyotes too.

I like to hunt and I spend a lot of time scouting, teh couple months befoe hunting season, unlike many of the more casual city hunters who like to just plop in a stand a few times a season. It lets me get to knwo different areas really well, maximize my awareness of where the deer actually are, and get an idea of what;s going on in the woods where I hunt. Finding lots of scattered turkey bones and feathers, fawn skeletons, as well as a dog skeleton with a tracking collar on it and coyote tracks and scat, tells me that the 'yotes are in need of a thinning or no one is going to have a good hunting season.

It is part of game management, which responsible hunters are a part of. So, those like minded hunters who spend more time in teh woods scouting pick up the slack and try to manage to increase the game population so city folks and country folks alike can enjoy hunting. I'd welcome more city folks to come get in the woods and learn them, and help thin out the 'yotes while they're here, instead of showing up on opening day and crashing through the perfect site I scouted out and and cleared shooting lanes in, two months prior. And they stunk like cigarettes. They never knew I was there, but all the deer in the woods knew they walked through that morning.

Down here, hogs are another problem species. So, more trips into the woods also increases my chances of putting meat on the table in the form of pork.

I'm bummed that I'm not hunting this year, because I transfer to teh other coast right at the opening of the season. And I haven't scouted the area in the new state. So, next year I'll have new woods to get to know.