Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why do people hunt coyotes? can you eat them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
Hdq
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Why do people hunt coyotes? can you eat them?

I look at my dog and wonder how can somone hunt an animal from the k9 family?? I get a little angry and think coyote hunters are *******s domesticated or not dogs are very loyal. mans best friend they never argue never complain and are incredibly smart they can detect bombs , drugs guide blind people relive stress they are very usefull animals theyre not stupid like a hog or useless like a deer all they are good for is eating but it gets me angry when I hear a coyote squeling exactly like a dog in the forest after its been shot as of now I think coyote hunters are *******s why do they do it? Maybe I wouldnt feel so angry if I knew why people hunt them and I was more educated on the subject. are they used for meat? Are they worth money? Or are coyote hunters just plain a holes? Lol please tell me why and please dont be rude

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Coyotes can be very dangerous to children and livestock. They can carry diseases and become overpopulated like any other animal. They can be eaten. They make great hats.

I don't need No stinking signature.

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 09-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #3

Liked 1281 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

I shoot the bastages because they killed all of my chickens. They are not native to my area. (I think they came from Texas) They disrupt the natural life cycle of other native animals. Maybe when Texas secedes they will go back home and I can save my ammo.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 09-01-2012 at 11:19 PM.
jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 09-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #4

Liked 2075 Times on 1222 Posts
Likes Given: 445

While coyotes may share a genus with domesticated dogs, they are still very different animals.

Coyotes are livestock killers. They kill sheep, chickens, small pets, and packs will kill young cattle during calving season. They also are nuisance to hunters., as they kill many game species as well. Yes, I know about the "Disney" circle of life, but these animals out compete a lot of others. They will reduce deer populations for generations if the coyote populations get out of control. In places where hunting coyotes has been restricted. populations soar, and game populations suffer, then the packs get a bit more aggressive and target livestock and pets more. Also once their populations get too large, they tend to spread disease among themselves, and other animals. Mange, fleas, bubonic plague, rabies, and other diseases can be spread to pets that try defending homes.

If you love your dog, you might learn to dislike coyotes.

They are indeed smart. They learn to recognize traps, calls, and other methods for hunting. They will kill off Foxes, bobcats and other predators that compete for food. Coyotes used to be a problem in the western US, while foxes and wolves were problems further east. Now their range as pretty much the whole continental US. The fact that they are smart, at least gives hunters a challenge, and improves a hunter or trappers skill, so they do serve a training purpose througouth teh rest of the year when game animals are not in season. By thinning the coyote population, hunters also improve the population of game animals. Turkeys, Geese, Deer, Dall Sheep, Antelope, all are prey animals that the coyotes can endager.

Edit to add: And I have dogs, and love them too. I hate coyotes though.
Cats I only like stir fried or roasted on a stick.

Last edited by SSGN_Doc; 09-01-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #5

Location: Flatwoods and Swamps of Florida, United States of America
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I shoot them every chance I get. They have taken my neighbors flock of chickens, killed cats and dogs in our area and can threaten the goat herds around here. They have not bothered my horses or cows. When I take my Golden Retriever out at night I always take my .45 in case she is attacked. I find tracks all of the time in the lane leading back to our place but they are hard to catch in the open. Not native to Florida and are about to create serious problems I understand in the urban areas. You must not have any problems with them on your place. Check with the local ranchers and farmers, I am sure they have problems.

Old 09-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #6

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

Because when I get enough skins I going to send it to get taned and made into a blanket - I rather have a wolf blanket but I settle for coyotes for now.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3644

@hdq. so are coyote hunters still ****. *****?????

Old 09-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #8

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

Well to be fair humans are in places the have not always been in. But we take it on are selves to automatically think we have the right to the land. When wild animals lived in most places before we did. but I would admit if I lived on a farm with live stock I would prolly shoot them also to defend what's mine. And as Long as they use the animal and don't let it go to waste I don't see to much of a problem with it.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8607 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Because they are an invasive predator that destroys wildlife native to an area (areas where coyotes are NOT native) and will totally destroy a bird population. They are aggressive, will destroy your livestock. If you live in the suburbs of Denver they will cruise housing developments at night seeking pets (they don't seem to have a familial bond with dogs, and eat them).

When living in Colorado, was one of the few animals I would not pass up a shot on. If they show up here in my part of VA, I have night vision gear.

The "feel good" folks in Colorado did an end run around the game commission, and amended the state constitution to outlaw trapping of wildlife. A year later, they were screaming because that rangy old 'yote had snatched Fluffy out of the back yard. There were demands that the game commission "DO something".

Head of the Game Commission (bless his heart, he was getting ready to retire) went on TV, and said "We would love to DO something. But you good folks outlawed the only effective way of dealing with these predators. You're on your own."

Real life bears no resemblance to Wile E. and the Roadrunner.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

alsaqr Likes This 
Old 09-02-2012, 01:40 AM   #10

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

coyotes are overpopulated badly in my area and there are quite a lot of people who hunt them, and yes they can be worth a little money for their fur. If there is snow at deer season we can easily see the woods loaded with coyote tracks and no deer tracks in areas where before there were tons of deer, now only yotes, no rabbits either. When we do find deer sign, it is common to follow a track for a short distance then find a coyote track get on the deer tracks and follow them. Coyotes are hunted with hound dogs or by one or 2 hunters working together with a call such as rabbit in distress or a electronic caller which will draw in the animal for a shot. I have heard coyotes in the woods all I have to do is stick my head out the window most any night of the week at my home, however I am curious to know how you hear coyotes squealing like dogs after they have been shot, do you have a lot of hunters in your back yard? Coyotes yip and squeal naturally as that is the sound they make, it doesn't mean they have been shot. Coyote hunting is very challenging and yes they are smart, one of the harder animals to trap, no need to feel sorry for coyotes, they breed like rabbits around here, shoot 1 and 3 more show up. The biggest and most important reason I hunt them, BECAUSE I CAN!

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Last edited by blucoondawg; 09-02-2012 at 10:47 AM.