Why do hunters hunt? Besides food. - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why do hunters hunt? Besides food.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Well, people never hunt anytime and animals will overpopulate. I've seen some pretty bad looking deer in areas where population got too high and the ecosystem couldn't support them well enough. I can't find deer and wild turkey in my local food store. Is fishing breaking up fish families or just making a few absent from school? And varmints need gone to make sure they don't cause too much trouble.

Hunters will do more to help nature than a tree hugger will. They don't mess up the land and they don' just kill everything off. It's more a harvest to keep populations in check and get some meat that isn't filled wit hthe crap they put in it like growth hormones etc.. Hunters want to be able to hunt. So messing things up just doesn't work for them. Sure there are bad hunters that do bad things. Just like there are in any group of people. But I've yet to meet a hunter that just did whatever even if it messed up the area for future hunts.

Maybe when my food store carries deer and wild turkey I"ll rethink the idea. Wild turkey is WAY better than those genetically altered Dolly Patron births from butterball. But I'm one of those wierdos that wont buy eggs or chickens in a store that are full of God knows what ailments grown in those industrial farms. We raise our own chickens so meat and eggs are just waiting for me to get em.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #72

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hunt varmint and for food. Some say hunting is murder...I say if hunting is murder....its tasty tasty murder.....

Old 09-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #73
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7017 Times on 4223 Posts
Likes Given: 8456

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent.22 View Post
Also the guys that raise dogs and then after hunting the last hunt, they leave them running in the woods to starve to death. I see it every year.
A hunting dog is a valuable thing. Why would the hunters leave their dogs in the woods after a hunt. No offense, but I find this hard to believe.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #74

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Aside from the obvious reasons such as food, scenery, etc I hunt for numerous reasons. First hunters are conservationist. Money from licenses, ammo, equipment, a portion goes back to helping animals. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's not my job to convince anti or none hunters what is right and wrong. I will gladly take them with me and show them what its all about. Back on topic. When I hunt big game such as deer or elk i love being in the mountains. I love the weather, the views, the sounds. I love seeing animals. I love the animals more than any anti does. Does that mean I won't shoot them? No. I enjoy the challenge, the adrenaline, the moment when all the hard work, time, cost, when everything comes togther and you get that perfect opportunity. I am very ethical and treat every animal with respect. I pass on iffy shots and i respect my quarry. When i hunt waterfowl it is the same but different. I love watching the birds fly and I love calling them in. I like watching as it gets light and seeing the marsh come to life. I like watching a flock of ducks circle and then calling them into my Decoys and watching them land knowing everything I did was just right to fool these birds. There is a split second when you shoulder your gun, swing through and pull the trigger that time almosts pauses for a split second. After the shot I love working my dog. I like watching him learn and seeing him complete something that i spend hours teaching him. I love spending time with my dad and family and friends. I love doing something not everyone gets to experience.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
A hunting dog is a valuable thing. Why would the hunters leave their dogs in the woods after a hunt. No offense, but I find this hard to believe.
I've never heard of anyone that willingly did that. Sure a few have lost their dogs and spend hours, even days looking for them. Nobody wants to lose their dogs, like you say they are expensive and it takes a long time to train a good dog.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #76
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7017 Times on 4223 Posts
Likes Given: 8456

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
I've never heard of anyone that willingly did that. Sure a few have lost their dogs and spend hours, even days looking for them. Nobody wants to lose their dogs, like you say they are expensive and it takes a long time to train a good dog.
Personally, I'd much rather replace a gun than my dog. Particularly if he/she were a hunting dog. I have never heard of hunters abandoning their dogs after a hunting season.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #77

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

In Eastern NC a lot of deer hunting is done with dogs. Dogs are commonly left in the woods or shot if they do not hunt hard enough. It is also common for dog hunting clubs to run dogs through private property using the excuse that the dog "can't read a no trespassing sign". Game wardens are often next to no help to the landowner and the penalties for shooting hunting dogs on private property can be severe. Dog hunting has done a lot to divide hunters in this part of the state.