Why do hunters hunt? Besides food. - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why do hunters hunt? Besides food.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent.22 View Post
I completely agree that God gave man Dominion over animals....However he also required man to exercise stewardship over his Dominion. I have 10 POSTED acres in the country here. I come home from work in the city and my signs are torn down and hulls are on my property. A great surprise will come next year when I'm retired. The alcoholic trespassing trash illegally hunting here will be dealt with. I will have some new guns for my collection.....I think hunting is great, it's the low class trash that hunts illegally that I object to. Also the guys that raise dogs and then after hunting the last hunt, they leave them running in the woods to starve to death. I see it every year.
Well I hope your not going to be like USLESS and chase em of with rifle on horseback!. just dig pungie pits.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2144 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

If you've ever hunted quail in tall grass country, or thick brush, you're going to be glad you have a dog(s) on hand because otherwise you're going to be losing a lot of birds. Quail can be short of impossible to find if you drop them out there a ways in front of you. I've hunted quail both ways and have spent a lot of time searching for dead birds when a dog would have had them found immediately and you would have moved on with your hunt. There's nothing prettier than seeing a dog on point either. A good dog is a joy to hunt with. That being said, I can't stand guys that hunt coyotes with dogs. It's cruel and a lot of those guys think they can just go anywhere without respect to private land when their dogs get on the scent. We've had to run them off our land more than once. They'll run their dogs through cattle or anything else that suits them. That's not hunting.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #63

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I miss quail hunting, we would love to watch the dogs lock up on point, we have had many good ones, pointers, english setters, brittney spaneis. I go more for the dogs than the hunt but I do love a good mess of fried quail!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #64

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

my apologies for the misinterpretation............nothing wrong with hunting SMALLGAME with dogs..........i meant to say DEER hunting with dogs.....deer cant go where man cannot.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70
I miss quail hunting, we would love to watch the dogs lock up on point, we have had many good ones, pointers, english setters, brittney spaneis. I go more for the dogs than the hunt but I do love a good mess of fried quail!
There's nothing better my friend. We used to always hunt Thanksgiving morning, bring in some quail and they'd end up being part of the feast. Rarely happens anymore though....

Old 09-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762
my apologies for the misinterpretation............nothing wrong with hunting SMALLGAME with dogs..........i meant to say DEER hunting with dogs.....deer cant go where man cannot.
That's interesting, I've never heard of anyone hunting deer with dogs. Least ways not around here (northern Oklahoma).

Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #67

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman

That's interesting, I've never heard of anyone hunting deer with dogs. Least ways not around here (northern Oklahoma).
I have heard of people doing it in kentuckY and in the appalachia area, never done it myself, i wont hunt with dogs.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #68

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 84

because it s fun and all i would be doing other wise is drinking beer and and chasing loose women so its a 50 50 split.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #69
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1731 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 9242

I hunt because it gets me away from the stresses of my daily life, the woods are a great place for a nap, it can be a challenge at times, an arrow or a bullet is cheaper that the prices in the grocery store, it reminds me of when I was younger and my dad and I used it as a chance to bond, and for the most part, because it is the one time and place where I can do something that takes my mind off of being crippled. As a bonus, my wife and I get time together away from ringing phones and other family members. Just what came to mind off the top of my head.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #70
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1731 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 9242

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocshaman View Post
When I was a boy learning to hunt with my dad in NC we used to go into the woods and wait for other hunter's dogs to push the deer to us. They would wiat in the feilds or by the road, and the dogs would push the deer into the swamp. The other hunters we were with never did figure out how dad and I used to tag out by the end of the second week of the season. If you have never tried it you should. It's a blast! Sometimes I still miss it.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.