Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Why do hunters hunt? Besides food.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 03:30 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
Coming from a nutria eradicator. Your comments don't mean much. How much of those nutria did you use? Were they tasty ? Do they make nice hats? What kind of jewelry did you make with their bones? Is your garden growing better from their entrails? Let's change perspective...I hope nobody desides you're a nuisance and kills you and leaves you to rot.
Do you know what those are doing to the native species ? Descimating them that's what.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #52

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock

Do you know what those are doing to the native species ? Descimating them that's what.
Yes, they are. They're beating other animals to the same food sources, and eating plant life and root systems in wetlands so voraciously that they're destroying habitats. They're not native, and there is even a bounty on them. In Louisiana we actually (I'm not freaking kidding here) have a "season" to hunt them from the road at night. Beyond that, I believe it's open season year round except for one very short period somewhere. Five bucks per tail that you turn in to the local fish and wildlife office. I believe it was way over 6 MILLION that was paid out in nutria bounty last year alone.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #53

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
animals were made by god and god made human to have dominian over them and for them to be meat for him.
its just the natural way.
I understand thast Sniper but I still wont eat a possum.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #54

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Yes, they are. They're beating other animals to the same food sources, and eating plant life and root systems in wetlands so voraciously that they're destroying habitats. They're not native, and there is even a bounty on them. In Louisiana we actually (I'm not freaking kidding here) have a "season" to hunt them from the road at night. Beyond that, I believe it's open season year round except for one very short period somewhere. Five bucks per tail that you turn in to the local fish and wildlife office. I believe it was way over 6 MILLION that was paid out in nutria bounty last year alone.
They should do that to the WOLVES!.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #55

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default food for thought

I completely agree that God gave man Dominion over animals....However he also required man to exercise stewardship over his Dominion. I have 10 POSTED acres in the country here. I come home from work in the city and my signs are torn down and hulls are on my property. A great surprise will come next year when I'm retired. The alcoholic trespassing trash illegally hunting here will be dealt with. I will have some new guns for my collection.....I think hunting is great, it's the low class trash that hunts illegally that I object to. Also the guys that raise dogs and then after hunting the last hunt, they leave them running in the woods to starve to death. I see it every year.

TACTICAL22.NET,NRA, VCDL

willshoum Likes This 
Old 08-25-2012, 07:28 PM   #56

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem_

I understand thast Sniper but I still wont eat a possum.
It's just a little greasy, that's all. Bury the head face down under three feet of dirt.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #57

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodent.22 View Post
I completely agree that God gave man Dominion over animals....However he also required man to exercise stewardship over his Dominion. I have 10 POSTED acres in the country here. I come home from work in the city and my signs are torn down and hulls are on my property. A great surprise will come next year when I'm retired. The alcoholic trespassing trash illegally hunting here will be dealt with. I will have some new guns for my collection.....I think hunting is great, it's the low class trash that hunts illegally that I object to. Also the guys that raise dogs and then after hunting the last hunt, they leave them running in the woods to starve to death. I see it every year.
those who hunt with dogs are NOT hunters....they are SHOOTERS the dogs are the hunters.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 851 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 589

I hunt for a variety of reasons. Some can't be explained unless you experience yourself. It is a large part of who I am as a human. Personally I find people who have an aversion to killing animals wimps and don't get along with them at all. It is bred into all of us. It is how we evolved into what we are today. I will kill any animal on the planet as long as it is legal and don't eat much of it. Starlings, groundhogs, coons, etc.... If I know anybody who will eat it I will bring it to them. Here in KY. in zone one counties there is no limit on does so me and my youngest son kill 25-30 a year. 50% is donated to a local church that dresses the animals and gives the meat to needy families. We eat the rest. I have no need to to really explain myself to a bunch of nerds who don't support wildlife and don't have a clue. Take the wild burrows in the west along with the "wild horses". Every one of them needs to be shot or captured and removed from the environment. If you don't no why then you prove my point about being ignorant of wildlife issues. Get out of the lazy boy and buy a hunting liscence. The game dept's are self supporting in most states and recieve no money from taxes. So buy a deer tag and help the wildlife out or those that are against hunting are hypocrites.

USMC 74-78

Old 08-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 851 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 589

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
those who hunt with dogs are NOT hunters....they are SHOOTERS the dogs are the hunters.
You sir have proved you are ignorant about dog hunting.

USMC 74-78

blucoondawg Likes This 
Old 08-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1721 Times on 1243 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Default Hunting with dogs.........

My father raised beagles for hunting, when his knees started to fail him he asked me if I wanted to continue hunting and take over the dogs. I did, if you don't know the mind set of a rabbit, you won't kill to many in front of dogs....The dogs jumped a rabbit and my father told me to follow the dogs, twice the rabbit made a come back to where he was jumped. The third time my father saw just the nose of the rabbit sticking out of the water to which the rabbit had jumped into a ditch to hide. This was at least a two hour hunt for one remarkable rabbit......My father would be turning over in his grave if he heard the the words the dog does all the hunting. Dogs can run under briars, can you. Dogs don't get bogged down in the marsh, do you.......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Last edited by willshoum; 08-26-2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelin
blucoondawg Likes This