Where would you go? - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Where would you go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I think you should spend some time around some bears and see if you can build up a strong desire to hunt them. Maybe wear some meaty cologne?
I was hunting Squirrel as a kid. Had my dads single shot .22. There was some logging going on the mountain, so I took the easy way up. The logging road.
When I was at the widest part of the clearcut heading up, I thought I saw something walk behind a pile of branches. Decided to turn around and walk down. Again, when I glanced over I thought I saw something move behind the pile about 30 yards away. Turned and walked up again and watched the whole time. A Black bear moved from one pile to the other, watching me. When he moved behind the pile, I turned and beat feet down the mountain. Being stalked by a bear w/ a less then adequate firearm is not someplace I'll ever be again. Now I carry a knife, big one, and a sidearm of adequate power whenever I go in the woods. The sidearm is more for the 2 legged morons now.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

orangello Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 02:20 AM   #22

Default bears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I think you should spend some time around some bears and see if you can build up a strong desire to hunt them. Maybe wear some meaty cologne?

That would be a little over bearing.
CT

orangello Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 AM   #23

Liked 3858 Times on 1863 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I have added one final item to my bucket list. I am planning one final hunt before I'm finally gone. I'm thinking of either Alaska or Africa. I'm not interested in any of the large dangerous stuff. No bear, elephant, buffalo or big cats for me. In Alaska, I would be limited to sheep, goats, caribou, moose, and possibly wolf. In Africa, I could take an almost infinite number of species. Hey, I've got to do something with my money or else my kids would just get it.
CT
I've been on safari in South Africa. Amazing place, but the crime is something serious over there.

As for a bucket list? Africa, definitely.

Edit to add...it wasn't a hunting safari. The animals were protected.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-29-2013, 03:35 AM   #24

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Orangejello, how about a picture of a bear hit with an antitank round?

bear-x.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #25

Being that the cost is no object for me, it really is a difficult decision, as I could go anywhere in the world. One thing I have always wanted to do is to go out west and shoot prarie dogs. I would like to see what my custom Ruger #1 in .225 Winchester would do on the little varmints and at what ranges I could take them. Would also take my .25-06 and my 6.5x55 loaded with light bullets. I'm sure I would have a great time.
CT

Old 01-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #26

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Cottontop, shooting dogs on the wide open public lands is great. The populations in much of the Northern Plains has been down in recent years due to the "Plague" and canine Distemper.
Some of the states issue Prairie Dog travel maps and no hunting licences is needed. Summer camping and long days of shooting on the open range is a riflemans dream.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #27

Liked 920 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Wouldn't think twice. Africa all the way baby. 10,000-15,000 for a brown bear hunt. That much in Africa you would need a new room to hold the critters you could harvest. A different continent so much radical different cultures. Not even a contest. 5,000 will get you a descent safari. Plus all the meat from all the critters is taken by the locals to eat. NOTHING wasted for those people. That alone is a good enough reason to go.

USMC 74-78

Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 AM   #28

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Being that the cost is no object for me, it really is a difficult decision, as I could go anywhere in the world. One thing I have always wanted to do is to go out west and shoot prarie dogs. I would like to see what my custom Ruger #1 in .225 Winchester would do on the little varmints and at what ranges I could take them. Would also take my .25-06 and my 6.5x55 loaded with light bullets. I'm sure I would have a great time.
CT
I have been to the pan handle of Oklahoma and are happy to see shooters. They don't ask your name but how much ammo do you have.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by tri70; 01-30-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #29

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70

I have to the pan handle of Oklahoma and are happy to see shooters. They don't ask your name but how much ammo do you have.
I may be making a trip north then haha

Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #30

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

All thru that area north and south from Lubbock, TX to North Dakota and all states in between. I almost went to TX but could not find anyone to go with me. I would make a long weekend for a fun shoot at that possibly.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin