Where should I start?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Where should I start?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Where should I start?

I'm new to hunting (well, I've observed hunting as a young'in with my Grandfather in Washington State). Where should I start? I don't really have any friends that hunt and I live in a Hampton Roads City within Virginia State (East Coast on the Water).

I would love to hunt but don't know where to start. I own a CETME .308 semi-auto rifle that if added with a scope (or use without one) could possibly check out as a hunting rifle okay. I have a shotgun, but it maybe too short to be for hunting. A police tactical Remington that has an 18 inch barrel on it.

If anyone cares to help me, a person that has no idea where to start out with hunting at, please feel free to respond to this thread. It may help others out too, whether they live in Virginia State or elsewhere.

*By the way, I think I heard that I can only hunt with Shotgun here in Virginia. Not exactly sure though.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Depending on the distance you plan on shooting, the 870 would work well on deer out to 75 yds. with rifled slugs. If Va. is "shotgun only", you have no other choices except to buy another shotgun with a rifled barrel for accuracy, or use a muzzleloader, which is what I did in a "shotgun only" county for 10 years in NY. With a replica .50 percussion rifle I was NOT at a disadvantage. In fact, it was more accurate at 100 yds. than most shotguns...

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 08-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #3

Thanks, RL. That makes me feel better. I honestly haven't shot my 870 tactical at long ranges before, probably because of the nature of what kind of shotgun it is. I have skeet shot with a rented longer shotgun and found out how far shotguns can actually go. I never realize that shotguns can have a bit of range on them.

Any "Hunting Clubs" that are out there? I need to start hunting by going out with a group of experienced people in order to get experience myself. I don't care if it's bird hunting. As a matter of fact bird hunting maybe be the best for me. I know Virginia has places that you can hunt Pheasants, ect.

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:38 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here you Go!!

Guided Hunts Offered - Southern Hospitality Hunting Guide Service in Virginia - Guided Hunting Service in Virginia

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #5

Sweet! Thank you so much

Old 08-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #6

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Try going to Va DNR site. They will have all the laws listed and seasons. You can learn alot there as well. Also check into a hunter's safety course.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Try going to Va DNR site. They will have all the laws listed and seasons. You can learn alot there as well. Also check into a hunter's safety course.
I didn't know there was a Hunter's Safety Course. Makes sense though. I'll keep that in mind and will try to do a safety course. I'll check the site out too. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:18 AM   #8

Not sure about Virginia, but in Florida you have to show the card you get when you pass the Hunter's Safety Class to get a hunting license. Virginia may be different though.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Here the single best thing I did when I move to VA was to join the IWLA. It is a great orginization with tons of like minded good people in it. Not sure about the chapters down your way but mine cost me $100 a year and a one time fee of $100 to join. So for $200 I get Archery, pistol, shotgun, and rifle to 100 yards ranges I get 200 acres to hunt on there and I have made many friends oh yah and we have two ponds that are stocked with bass and catfish.

Norfolk-Chesapeake Chapter (Norfolk-Chesapeake Chapter)

I have meet guys there that are from every walk of life. One of my main buddies is a mechanic for Prince William County Fire, another is a Union guy that works way up in the top. We have 2 detectives from our county fire fighters IT people USMC, USN, and army and USAF. we are a very diverse group of people that all like to hunt shoot fish and be outdoors.

One thing you must know is that many counties are shotgun only and you can't hunt on Sunday. We try to get rid of the no hunting on Sunday stuff be they (The politicians never want to hear it)

PM Gorknoids a member here his is a very nice guy that would more than likely be able to point you in the right direction for hunting and even fishing.

Last edited by cpttango30; 08-17-2009 at 02:10 PM.