Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Where shoot a mule deer to stop him in his tracks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Where shoot a mule deer to stop him in his tracks?

I am going deer hunting next year and I need to know where to know where to shoot deer to drop him in his tracks. My grandpa says to shoot them right to the side of the shoulder but I don't know for sure . And the same with elk . I would prefer pictures to explain. Please Help!

Thanks Lance,

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here you go: http://www.ehow.com/how_2241498_kill-deer.html http://home.comcast.net/~gefferts/shotpl.htm

Have you taken a Hunter's Safety Course? They teach where to shoot for a clean kill. It might be a good place to start.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #3

I very rarely shoot a deer in the shoulder. It messes up too much meat for me. On the off chance that I do shoot one there, I shoot it right behind the shoulder. You'll see the line that is formed by the back of the deer's shoulder where it meets the body just behind the shoulder. If you shoot it there, you'll still get a hit to the vitals, but it will only damage the ribs. To me, that's much better than having the bullet pass through the shoulder. You only really get hamburger/ sausage meat out of a deer's shoulder, but I try to get as much meat as possible.

Personally, I usually go for a neck or head shot. Sometimes it can make for a tough shot, so leave that one alone unless you're completely confident in your abilities.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ethically the pump station is THE place to aim for. Problem for a lot of newer hunters is they either a. shoot at the entire animal and miss the entire animal or b. they end up shooting at the rack when they get the fever without even knowing it. Just concentrate on a small spot where the hydraulics are and take your time. Most practice game targets have a good outline of where the vitals are, recommend that after a good hunter safety course.
Best of luck to you, post up some pics after you harvest one, looking forward to seeing him!

Old 10-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckA View Post
I very rarely shoot a deer in the shoulder. It messes up too much meat for me. On the off chance that I do shoot one there, I shoot it right behind the shoulder. You'll see the line that is formed by the back of the deer's shoulder where it meets the body just behind the shoulder. If you shoot it there, you'll still get a hit to the vitals, but it will only damage the ribs. To me, that's much better than having the bullet pass through the shoulder. You only really get hamburger/ sausage meat out of a deer's shoulder, but I try to get as much meat as possible.

Personally, I usually go for a neck or head shot. Sometimes it can make for a tough shot, so leave that one alone unless you're completely confident in your abilities.
Bad info, especially for a green hunter. A heart/lung shot is text book and exactly where a newbie should be shooting for.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Bad info, especially for a green hunter. A heart/lung shot is text book and exactly where a newbie should be shooting for.
Did you not read past the first few lines? Here, I'll shorten the post so you can get through it. It will be nice and simple.

I, personally, shoot them in the head or neck if I can.

If I can't shoot them in the head or neck, then I go for a heart/ lung shot.

If the shooter isn't completely confident in their skills, then they should shoot them just behind the shoulder.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:18 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you want to drop him in his tracks, then by God, shoot him in his tracks!

Old 11-02-2008, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckA View Post
Did you not read past the first few lines? Here, I'll shorten the post so you can get through it. It will be nice and simple.

I, personally, shoot them in the head or neck if I can.

If I can't shoot them in the head or neck, then I go for a heart/ lung shot.

If the shooter isn't completely confident in their skills, then they should shoot them just behind the shoulder.
Okay but matts point still stands even thinking about a head or neck shot for a guy asking where to shoot one is rediculous. He didnt ask where u shoot urs he simply asked where to shoot....As most are sayin behind the shoulder is good ethics....but if u aim in the shoulder u will break at least one leg and get good vitals depends on the caliber of rifle.

Ghostndawoodz

"A gun is a tool, sir, no better or no worse than any other tool, an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."

Old 11-03-2008, 02:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostndawoodz View Post
Okay but matts point still stands even thinking about a head or neck shot for a guy asking where to shoot one is rediculous. He didnt ask where u shoot urs he simply asked where to shoot....As most are sayin behind the shoulder is good ethics....but if u aim in the shoulder u will break at least one leg and get good vitals depends on the caliber of rifle.
If you reread the question, he asks where to shoot one to drop it in its tracks. A head or neck shot is really the only really reliable way to guarantee that it will drop where it stands. Honestly, you shouldn't even be in the woods unless you can shoot one in the head or neck. It's a pretty big target. If you're just shooting for somewhere on the shoulder, you suck and should stick to golf. Hell, even as a kid I knew that you pick a very small, specific spot and aim for it. Being new to hunting doesn't give the dude an excuse to just aim somewhere in an area a foot across. I shot my first deer when I was 12 and guess where I shot it. I put the bullet in the base of the neck and dropped him. There is no good reason to actually put a bullet through the shoulder on any deer. You tear up too much meat and it isn't any more effective than right behind the shoulder.