where to go to shoot prairie dogs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > where to go to shoot prairie dogs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 03:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Default where to go to shoot prairie dogs

I'm trying to put a trip together for my nephews this summer to shoot some prairie dogs. I've found some hunting ranches online that offer "guided hunts" for a lot of $$, but I don't really have the funds for that. I was wondering how you guys go about finding spots to shoot. I'm located in eastern Missouri and it is at least an 8hr drive until I am in prairie dog territory, so I'd like to have at least an idea of where to go.
Thank you for any help you can provide. This forum is the best!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-29-2014, 04:14 AM   #2

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

You need to locate and talk to ranchers and farmers.

I got to go out to eastern Oregon a few weeks ago and had a blast zapping the little buggers but I just lucked into having a client out on a fishing trip when he mentioned the trip and his private access... "He knows the Rancher".

Try hanging out at the ranges and gun clubs... Look for the guys shooting varmint guns like accurized .17 HMR's and Loooong barreled AR's and ask them.

If your a decent shot you may get an invite.

You could try calling ranchers but they are understandable leery of shooters they don't know. Varmint hunters certainly help them out but any gains are lost quickly when a stray round catches a bovine.

Good luck

Tack

Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 598

South Dakota has some excellent hunting for P-dogs.
I usually just drive up to Dalhart,Tx to hunt them. The ranchers in the panhandle hate these critter's,and we have been asked by a couple others to come on their ranches and kill all we want for free while we were up there hunting on property next to them.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 04-29-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2152 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 799

If you live in a rural area, a few fence staples and a hammer will get you more hunting places than cash money. Proving you will shut the gate is required. Be helpful! You will pick up some ammo money and win a lot of goodwill. If you want to claim hunting rights to a farm you must be willing to get rid of all the pests they have on the place. When you have coyote traps set and other activities going on the landowner is going to tell everyone else no.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 04-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 679 Times on 409 Posts
Likes Given: 419

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodl View Post
I'm trying to put a trip together for my nephews this summer to shoot some prairie dogs. I've found some hunting ranches online that offer "guided hunts" for a lot of $$, but I don't really have the funds for that. I was wondering how you guys go about finding spots to shoot. I'm located in eastern Missouri and it is at least an 8hr drive until I am in prairie dog territory, so I'd like to have at least an idea of where to go.
Thank you for any help you can provide. This forum is the best!
I was kinda wondering the same thing, I would love to go prairie dog hunting.

does out of state for these dogs cost extra, say like if i wanted to go to SD to shoot the little devils?

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Check craigslist for people asking for help shooting the dang things

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1426 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

I'd love to hit Montana for a week or so with my 700 in 204 Ruger.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:02 PM   #8

Liked 648 Times on 425 Posts
Likes Given: 1313

Years ago we hunted P. Dogs near Rapid City,SD.

We hunted P.Dogs at Buffalo Gap National Grasslands,during a National 4H shooting Comp.
There were several of us parents that took 4H kids to Buffalo Gap,which had several large P Dog Towns that we set up on,we had a great time and it only cost us our ammo and time.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:26 PM   #9

Liked 148 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I am working temporarily in the North Dakota oilfields. All of the prairie dog towns I've seen are on public lands, National Grassland to be exact. The little buggers don't seem to like prairie that has been disturbed by plows. Cattle they don't seem to mind, as cattle are not much different than the bison that the prairie dogs shared the plains with for thousands of years. I have not seen any mounds in farmland or even private ranches here. Some cattle grazing is allowed on the National Grasslands. I go shooting on the public land near Teddy Roosevelt National Park. All that is needed to legally shoot in North Dakota is non-resident non game license. It was $17 last year, could be a bit more this year, I haven't got around to getting a new one yet. You don't need to hire a guide. Just get out here, look on a N.D. state atlas for the Natl. Grassland, and drive until you see some dog mounds. This town has many hundred mounds and covers a good square mile. Try to resist shooting the new crop of youngsters, they aren't smart about humans and are easily slaughtered. One could easily deplete the population of a town picking off the baby dogs. Here are some pics from last week, notice mounds near the rifles. Poor cell phone pic is of a dog shot with a .223 varmint load.

dsc01536.jpg   dsc01537.jpg   1398101439029.jpg  

Old 05-02-2014, 04:31 AM   #10

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
I was kinda wondering the same thing, I would love to go prairie dog hunting.

does out of state for these dogs cost extra, say like if i wanted to go to SD to shoot the little devils?
Gotta check the laws...

I was hunting them in Oregon which requires no license if varmint hunting your own land "or invited by the land owner". License is required to hunt them on public lands.

I was behind a locked gate on private land so I didn't need to worry about it.