Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Whats your bow set up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Default Whats your bow set up?

Mathews DXT, 70 lbs. 30 in. Draw, gold tip arrows with rage, T3, or swhacker broadheads. Black gold sights, 7 in. Octane Stabilizer and rip-cord drop away rest.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

Roy hall chief takedown custom. 55#@28"
Homemade Sitka spruce arrows Magnus broadheads.
Sinew strung Osage 35#@28"
Same arrows (lighter spine)

I don't need No stinking signature.

kryptar19 Likes This 
Old 08-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #3

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Bear encounter, 55-60# 29in draw. Standard 30in arrows. With some 100 grain broadheads my grandpa gave me. This will be my first deer season with it, i am excited!

Old 08-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4470 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Bear montana reflex-deflex longbow 50# draw carbon fiber shafts. I havent done much deer with it but i do hunt rabbits and yotes with it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Bear montana reflex-deflex longbow 50# draw carbon fiber shafts. I havent done much deer with it but i do hunt rabbits and yotes with it.
Yotes? Man that takes skill and alot of stealth. What ranges are you taking em at?

Old 08-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #6

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Have a cpl Bear takedowns.My son sorta "borrowed" the one with our custom limbs on it.I'll either shoot one with stock 50# limbs or and old Super Kodiak,one pc,its also 50#.

Nuthin special on arrows.Woody's if it's clear and go with some XX75's if its raining,Use several different 125 fixed blade broadheads.

We build bows and have a ton.But theres a bunch of kids,and friends who end up over here for archery season......so you kind of need to be versatile.Meaning you "may" not get to use what you'd hoped for,haha.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4470 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineverFTF View Post
Yotes? Man that takes skill and alot of stealth. What ranges are you taking em at?
My wife logs em on her gps when she is horse riding through bong state park. Then i plot the sightings on a topo map setup up ambush points and stay downwind about 35 yds off their trails. They are creatures of habit.

Ive got plot points for deer also so maybe ill nail one this year.

I shoot longbow 5-6 days a week been doing it for about 4 years now.

Last yote was in my backyard about 40 yards away. He was just standing there. Didnt have time to grab a good arrow nailed him with a field point. Clean through the chest. He took off into the swamp leaving bubbly blood trail.

Ive shot em from a deer blind at 25-30 yds as well in texas.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-16-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

2006 Hoyt Trykon, 62# draw weight. 27.5" draw length, QAD Ultra-Rest HD Pro rest, Extreme 4-pin sight, Limbsaver 4.5" S-coil stabilizer, D-loop, Scott Little Goose release, shooting Beman 26" MFX MAX-4 carbon arrows w/ 3.125" QuickSpin vanes and red Lumenoks (total weight 430 grains) tipped with Rage 100 grain 2-blade broadheads.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

My wife logs em on her gps when she is horse riding through bong state park. Then i plot the sightings on a topo map setup up ambush points and stay downwind about 35 yds off their trails. They are creatures of habit.

Ive got plot points for deer also so maybe ill nail one this year.

I shoot longbow 5-6 days a week been doing it for about 4 years now.

Last yote was in my backyard about 40 yards away. He was just standing there. Didnt have time to grab a good arrow nailed him with a field point. Clean through the chest. He took off into the swamp leaving bubbly blood trail.

Ive shot em from a deer blind at 25-30 yds as well in texas.
Damn man, thats impressive. I cant imagine getting closer than 50 yards to a coyote, you sir are a ninja.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default my bow

My bow is an old hoyt Spectra (Rambo with cable guard ) painted flat black ,70# speed flyte rest , quikee quiver, tru glo round fiber optic 1 pin .... I dont shoot over 20 yrds anyway, black aluminum arrows green/white fleching, thunderhead 125.I shoot bare fingers only ,no tab ,no glove . It's as quiet and deadly as a ninja with an ar 15. Deer ,hogs ,coyotes ,rabbits ,snakes ,frogs ,raccoons have had their spirit taken with this bow .