Whats your average deer shot distance? - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Whats your average deer shot distance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2609 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiehunter View Post
That's my point. Hard to believe.
I'm still waiting for your own input. It's real easy to criticize

someone else, isn't it?

To be perfectly honest, I was more impressed with the

stalk, than the shot. I would never have hit anything at half

the range from which I spotted it. Actually bringing it down

was icing on the cake.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #82

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
Not hard to believe at all... especially with those who "practice, practice, practice."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DiLQ1KHOSw

This deer was taken at 65 yards with the same iron sighted pistol, while running.
The video looks like one of the hundreds that were pirated from varmint safari dot com and made to look like something else was used.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-21-2012, 05:43 AM   #83

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

i was thinkin the same thing. <he said while strokin his chin whiskers>

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-21-2012, 06:00 AM   #84

The owner of that site was a member of another board I used to frequent. He'd spent a good bit of time going after those folks for copyright infringement (particularly the ones that made a compilation and said it was Marine Snipers shooting terrorists in Afghanistan with a .50 cal.)

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #85

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
The video looks like one of the hundreds that were pirated from varmint safari dot com and made to look like something else was used.
Yeah, that's the ticket, call me a liar for what reasoning? Is it video quality?

Attention! Those of you that can't shoot; you need to practice, practice, practice; instead of making baseless accusations on the internet.

What does this one "looks like?"

It would be more work to doctor the video, than it would to shoot the freaking gun. The video quality was so terrible, why would I begin with something that bad?

You're ridiculous.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #86

I never called you a liar. I simply stated that it bore a striking resemblance to varmint safari's vids.

Anyway. The first view of the target looked like two fifty, the second as You (?) were prone, looked like fifty.

I have seen some pretty amazing shots made on the range. I am not saying that it is impossible. Just that the vids don't look to line up.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #87

Quote:
I never called you a liar. I simply stated that it bore a striking resemblance to varmint safari's vids.
I thought you'd be embarrassed enough to take that route.

Quote:
Anyway. The first view of the target looked like two fifty, the second as You (?) were prone, looked like fifty.
This displays why you don't have to proper skills to judge a shooting video.
You cannot tell what power zoom the camera was set at, or where the camera is relative to me.
That's just the visual aspect ratio, the sound doesn't match for 50 yards. From the cartridge report to the impact sound to reach the camera is about 1.5 seconds.

You haven't the skills to make a determination; "looked like" is not reasoning!

Quote:
Just that the vids don't look to line up.
"Vids" plural. Do you have any "reasoning" behind your "baseless accusation!?" "don't look to line up" is nonsensical.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:22 AM   #88

And another thing, there is heavy mirage on the target but not on me. Who knows of video with heavy mirage at 50 yards?

See the slight mirage on me? That is what mirage looks like at 50 yards at about 14x zoom.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #89

Liked 2609 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Yanno, all this "pssh-iddy-poff-iddy" crap.

Reminds me why I left off hunting deer and now hunt

wild boar and coyote, instead. Gimme a break.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #90

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. This has changed my perspective a bit. I'd always thought that shots would be much longer range, like 200 yards but from the responses it seems many shots are around 50-100 yds.

Some of you were asking about my hunting style. I live in Australia and although I'm just starting out, the areas I plan to hunt a fairly wooded so I guess that you would be lucky to find a 100 yard shot. Some places I've been you can't see further than 20 yards.

The feedback has been really useful - thanks again!