Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Whats your average deer shot distance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Luckily California Fish and Game has done it for me. In 2006, California Fish and Game reported that there were between 40 and 106 deer for the entire region that the Sonoran covers California. They state several times in their report, the population density is so low, that estimating the number of deer is incredibly difficult. Population density is estimated between .05 and .13 per km^2.

http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=45794

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 09-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #42

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
As do I. And yeah, I could probably take head shots and make them. But while their head is a pretty decent sized target, their brain isn't (bout the size of a walnut IIRC). And yeah, there are a lot of variables.

Im glad the button buck happened by my stand or it could a taken days for him to die of dehydration.

are you talkin bout the button buck, or in general? a whitetail's brain is approximately the size of your computer mouse.......give or take 1/4 to 1/2 of the mouse (depending on overall size, age, and sex). so a muley's brain would be larger.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Davyboy Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #43

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater

No sir for me, that's my father lol. No big deal, just nothing to get upset about.
Lol my pops says the same thing. So I'm sorry sir! Lol had to do it since I do it to him. I'm not much of a hunter anyways , I just watch the outdoor shows and I've seen them bag some bucks in what I would consider the desert since I'm from Florida.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #44

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesbassin

Lol my pops says the same thing. So I'm sorry sir! Lol had to do it since I do it to him. I'm not much of a hunter anyways , I just watch the outdoor shows and I've seen them bag some bucks in what I would consider the desert since I'm from Florida.
No problem. Hunting is a great conservation practice, that demands respect for the earth and needs people to be respectful.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #45

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
are you talkin bout the button buck, or in general? a whitetail's brain is approximately the size of your computer mouse.......give or take 1/4 to 1/2 of the mouse (depending on overall size, age, and sex). so a muley's brain would be larger.
I was talking about whitetails in general (then I started talking about muleys cause of what the other guy said about deserts). I remember reading about their anatomy a while ago, but was never interested in splitting the skill to actually see for myself. Thanks for the correction.

Wait, ha, I have a mini mouse, so I was right

Did a little more reading and couldn't find an actual size dimension, but found a weight for an average buck. They said .4 pounds. So yeah that sounds about right with what you said. Thanks.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Last edited by Eturnsdale; 09-16-2012 at 04:40 AM.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #46

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale View Post
I was talking about whitetails in general (then I started talking about muleys cause of what the other guy said about deserts). I remember reading about their anatomy a while ago, but was never interested in splitting the skill to actually see for myself. Thanks for the correction.

Wait, ha, I have a mini mouse, so I was right

is it in your pocket? lmfao

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 09-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #47

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post
is it in your pocket? lmfao
Nope. But,,,

Dangit, I cant say what I want to cause I was asked to be good.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #48

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturnsdale

Nope. But,,,

Dangit, I cant say what I want to cause I was asked to be good.
We SM members enjoy what you say.

Just this once post whatever you want. Go ahead.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #49

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Get a sm membership. Keep it in the bunker. Not the open forum.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #50

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
Get a sm membership. Keep it in the bunker. Not the open forum.
No fun ....