Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Whats your average deer shot distance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 03:46 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesbassin View Post
Umm I believe mule deer live in desert areas. Not all deserts are just sand, they can eat fruits off catuses and things like that.
A desert is perhaps the most specific biome. With a narrow range of rainfall, and capable of supporting only a few species of life, and being extremely arid. Mule deer live in regions comparable to African game lands. We would not describe these regions as deserts. These would be more akin to grasslands or savannas.

Mule deer do range into regions classified as deserts, but only the more luscious regions that have less desert character. You'll never find a deer just walking about in the middle of the desert.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 09-16-2012 at 03:50 AM.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:47 AM   #32

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

As do I. And yeah, I could probably take head shots and make them. But while their head is a pretty decent sized target, their brain isn't (bout the size of a walnut IIRC). And yeah, there are a lot of variables.

Im glad the button buck happened by my stand or it could a taken days for him to die of dehydration.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #33

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan View Post
A desert is perhaps the most specific biome. With a narrow range of rainfall, and capable of supporting only a few species of life, and being extremely arid. Mule deer live in regions comparable to African game lands. We would not describe these regions as deserts. These would be more akin to grasslands or savannas.
Have ya ever been mule deer hunting in New Mexico? Yeah Id call that desert.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #34

This is a picture of a deer taken in Sonoran Desert. The Sonoran is one of the wettest, most lush deserts in North America.

Many parts of New Mexico are categorized as grasslands.

This is a picture of an African savanna. Note the similarities.

This is a picture of a Californian desert. Notice how much more squat and sparse the vegetation is.

I just studied this unit for ecology.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Last edited by tCan; 09-16-2012 at 04:04 AM.
USEBOTHHANDS Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 04:05 AM   #35

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tCan

Mule deer do range into regions classified as deserts, but only the more luscious regions that have less desert character. You'll never find a deer just walking about in the middle of the desert.
Lol, okay buddy. There is all types of deserts and your thinking of one. Like someone posted earlier the American west has plenty of deserts that hold a plethora of animals.

image-1845937861.jpg

Mule deer found in 4 desert regions...hmmmmm

Old 09-16-2012, 04:06 AM   #36

Either way its a desert..the person who posted about hunting in the desert didnt say the "most arid dryest desert with no rain or food" did they? You simply jumped to conclusion saying you cant hunt deer in a "desert"

Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #37

Just saying. The lowest population density of mule deer is likely in those deserts. It's something I wish I had 20 million dollars to find out....

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 AM   #38

Liked 2367 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Can we stop this pissing match?

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:09 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
Can we stop this pissing match?
No problem sir/ma'am, I apologize.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #40

Liked 2367 Times on 1478 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladesbassin

No problem sir/ma'am, I apologize.
No sir for me, that's my father lol. No big deal, just nothing to get upset about.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.