What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default shotgun for squirrel

if its legal in your area and itdoesnt bother youthen do it, ihave killed squirrels both way and sleep good at night

Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #82

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
I don't really think there is any challenge in that. Thats more of a massacre then hunting, but if you're hunting for food instead of sport (and food, I always eat what I kill. People who don't are usually douchebags in my experience, not trying to offend anybody) go for it.
Ploofy, have you ever hunted raccoon's, coyote's, or crow. I have shot all of them, never once taken a bite out of them. Does that make me a douchebag?

To the question of hunting squirrel with a shotgun or .22; my vote is a .17. A caliber that is accurate enough to pick them off at over a hundred yards, but if you hit them in the head won't damage any of the meat. A .22 does the same thing, just less accurate a farther distances. With the limited amount of meat on a squirrel, you would think you would want to keep as much of it in tact as you can.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #83

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
I have used a 410 single shot with 4s to hunt tree rats for over 60 years. The large shot is easily removed from the meat and I have never bitten into one. I have always felt that if you miss with a 22 you could possibly cause a problem you don’t really want. I was taught that part of being a hunter was to always be concerned with what might happen to another person if you missed your shot.
I think our past Vice President taught us that a shotgun pointed in the wrong direction will do the same thing as a .22 or rifle pointed in the wrong direction.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I had a H&R 410 that thing was wrong it just didn't shoot well and kicked like a mule.
My uncle has an old 8 bore muzzle loader that I shot once thirty years ago. If the .410 kicked like a mule I ought to get you two together.
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

- Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp, TX State Rep., GOP, Massacre Survivor

Old 03-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #85

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Used to shoot squirrels with my air rifle as pest control as a kid.

A decent 22LR rifle should take them fine.

I wouldn't consider using a shotgun on general principle, because I'd be afraid of

tearing up the carcass too much.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #86

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Used to shoot squirrels with my air rifle as pest control as a kid.

A decent 22LR rifle should take them fine.

I wouldn't consider using a shotgun on general principle, because I'd be afraid of

tearing up the carcass too much.
I have hit them with a Hevi Turkey loads and have never vaporized a squirrel. I fact I only found less then 3 pellets in the squirrel if any. I seen bigger holes done with a 22. My wife hit one 5x and blew his B@ll$$ off but still had plenty of meat. It was her first squirrel and she got excited that she emptied her gun it sounded like WWIII started.
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 03-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #87

Therewolf I'ts a very easy matter and even with #6 shot. Heavy shot less dense pattern. Just probe the shot holes after the hide comes off! Fur plug and shot just pops out. Do this after you rinse the body off with water! Happy eating!

Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #88

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Yo, I'm not perfect.

Haven't even shot squirrel for a long time.

Back then, I got along so well with so little that a shotgun seems a little much,is all.

Maybe if I had to feed the troops on a regular basis with hunting, I would sing a different tune...

Old 03-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #89

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Yo, I'm not perfect.

Haven't even shot squirrel for a long time.

Back then, I got along so well with so little that a shotgun seems a little much,is all.

Maybe if I had to feed the troops on a regular basis with hunting, I would sing a different tune...
I was so poor all I had was a single shot 20 ga. It was like 5 years later that I got a 22 but still used a shotgun.
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #90

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd never trust a BB gun to kill squirrels. It might work ok if the shot was well placed, but I have a problem with shooting and wounding anything. Even a coyote or other nuisance deserves a clean kill shot. .22 or .17HMR would be the smallest round I would use. My dad used to use .22 shorts, but the price of .22LR is now less than shorts, so I'll continue to use those. However, I'd rather use a .410 or 20 gauge if that's what I needed to get a one-shot kill.

Last edited by IDVague; 03-16-2011 at 11:28 PM.