What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw517 View Post
Last week I was walken out of the woods from my deer blind and at 30 feet away took aim with my 12 Ga loaded with deer slugs. That did not end well.
What happened did the squirrel shoot back?
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 11-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #42

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A couple of comments
If you are in a populated area you MUST hit the squirrel with a 22 or the round will be dangerous.
A shotgun will minimize this danger. Using larger shot such as 6's will give better knockdown and may actually pass through the critter and result in less and easier location of the shot to find when dressing. Using the lightest loads will also reduce excessive shot.
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 View Post
What happened did the squirrel shoot back?
No when I aimed i was going for the head as it was coming down the tree when it stoped. When I pulled the trigger it moved and caught it in the body. There was nothing left to eat.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 PM   #44

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMc View Post

If you are loading new primed hulls, all you need to load black powder shells is a proper size powder dipper, a wooden shell block that holds about 25 hulls, a roll crimp head for your electric drill (or drill press) and something to hold the shell during crimping. (Ballistic Products, Precision Reloading Co. and Graf & Sons are good sources)
I've bought original roll crimpers like this one off ebay for as little as five bucks.

Last edited by Hawg; 11-28-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #45

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default squirrley question?

i dont know where most of ya'll live ,but here in east tx, if one uses a .22 to hunt squirrels ....he goes hungry...we have red(fox) and grey (cat ) squirrels here ...most east texans only hunt the cat species as they are more plentiful, better tasteing ,one could hunt fox species with a .22 because they are slower ,habits are different than the cat species which are mainly hunted with shotguns..i use a 12 with# 5 or #6 shot ...the terrain is mainly thick ,heavy river bottoms oaks,cypress,tangled briars,cottonmouths and rattlers,wild hogs,sloughs,creeks,swamps.....did i mention cottonmouths..lol when the squirrel is in the pan ,with gravy and homemade bisquits...does it matter what he was he was shot with? p.o.w.g. pissed off white guy

Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #46
RMc

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default One additional thought...

... if I am squirrel hunting private land in Alabama and come up on some feral hogs, it is easy to silently change from #4 shot to Dixie Tri-Ball buckshot, (three .60" hard cast 325 grain pellets). These are choke friendly and shoot just above point of aim at 40 yards with the 32" full choke 12 gauge single barrel.

Last edited by RMc; 01-06-2011 at 03:08 AM.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #47

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There is only one thing wrong with hunting squirrels with a shot gun. You should be using an AR15!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
There is only one thing wrong with hunting squirrels with a shot gun. You should be using an AR15!
You do recall that AR upper in .410 shotty, right? That might actually get me interested in an AR eventually.

http://www.gunblast.com/ATI-T14.htm

Last edited by orangello; 01-05-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:30 PM   #49

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

But it's still a .410! That's a women's and youth round pretty much isn't it? But yeah, I remember that upper for sale and I instantly thought it was a novelty. I preferr to make the squirrels explode! I have a disdain for squirrels similar to your disdain for bears.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:38 PM   #50
RMc

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default I take it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
But it's still a .410! That's a women's and youth round pretty much isn't it? But yeah, I remember that upper for sale and I instantly thought it was a novelty. I preferr to make the squirrels explode! I have a disdain for squirrels similar to your disdain for bears.
... you also have a distain for squirrel and dumplings!