Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > What's wrong with hunting squirrels with a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 132 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 11

The concept seems neat, but I prefer a rifle and a shotgun ( 2 rigs, not 1 trying to be both).
Sights, triggers, ergonomics, balance........putting them all in one for me is too much of a compromise.
I've seen some of the fancier versions come around, folks buy any and all pretty darn quickly.
Usually it's old timers with a big smile, always reflecting back to their young days afield with similar.

Even at today's prices for that kind of nostalgia and feel good stuff, they might be bargains

Old 02-03-2014, 04:24 AM   #152

Liked 132 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 11

BTW, I prefer tree rats by .22 handgun, but my eyes aint like they used to be.
Reason why I passed on a beater Colt Woodsman today.

Shotguns bring home the meat, but offer no real sport in squirrel blasting once one has attained some experience. In close to urban areas it might be the better choice.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:51 AM   #153

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

All of the Squirrels that were in the woods when this thread was started have died of old age.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
The concept seems neat, but I prefer a rifle and a shotgun ( 2 rigs, not 1 trying to be both).
Sights, triggers, ergonomics, balance........putting them all in one for me is too much of a compromise.
I've seen some of the fancier versions come around, folks buy any and all pretty darn quickly.
Usually it's old timers with a big smile, always reflecting back to their young days afield with similar.

Even at today's prices for that kind of nostalgia and feel good stuff, they might be bargains
Yep thats me

When outnumbered 2 to 1.
Shoot twice!

Gopher

Old 02-08-2014, 04:25 AM   #155

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I hunt squirrel with a slingshot, much more challenging. Flippinout Maxim with a 36 or 44 cal lead ball to be precise.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 02-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #156

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

I like to squirrel hunt with a .22 handgun for a nice challenge. But there's nothing wrong with using a shotgun, as long as you don't mind picking out the shot.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-10-2014, 09:03 PM   #157
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
All of the Squirrels that were in the woods when this thread was started have died of old age.
Nah, I'm sure some of them got et.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:03 AM   #158

Call me old fashioned, but I like to think of hunting not just as a sport, but as a skilled sport that takes talent and well, ability. Using a shotgun to shoot a squirrel seems a lot like using a rocket launcher on a home invader. I want to eat the meat too, without picking out shot, or worse, spitting it out. I also would prefer to call the cops to remove a wounded thief to having vaporized him, but to each his own. Yes, I know squirrels move fast, but settle in and take aim with a .22, and you can take him in the head while he's sitting on a branch flicking his tail. Not every one has to shoot his limit either. That's just killing for the sake of killing. I see no sport, skilled or otherwise in going out solely to kill as many critters as the government allows. If it's bragging rights you want, you'll get more respect for a skilled head shot anyway than simply killing your seasonal allotment.

Have you tried this bullet button - http://ar-magmagnet.com

Old 02-15-2014, 12:21 AM   #159

Liked 95 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by billburns01 View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I like to think of hunting not just as a sport, but as a skilled sport that takes talent and well, ability. Using a shotgun to shoot a squirrel seems a lot like using a rocket launcher on a home invader. I want to eat the meat too, without picking out shot, or worse, spitting it out. I also would prefer to call the cops to remove a wounded thief to having vaporized him, but to each his own. Yes, I know squirrels move fast, but settle in and take aim with a .22, and you can take him in the head while he's sitting on a branch flicking his tail. Not every one has to shoot his limit either. That's just killing for the sake of killing. I see no sport, skilled or otherwise in going out solely to kill as many critters as the government allows. If it's bragging rights you want, you'll get more respect for a skilled head shot anyway than simply killing your seasonal allotment.
IMO there is an equal amount of skill involved/needed when hunting with a shotgun or a 22...22= great sights and laser accurate, 410 = bead sight and limited range...my favorite for this kind of hunting is my Iver Johnson 410 and what's wrong with using the best tool for the job?
Old 02-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #160

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One reason to hunt with a shotgun is a miss with a 22 will carry a long way and in populated areas. A 410 with #4 shot will carry less and be as sleet coming down and only a few pellets would do the trick and be relatively easy to find when dressing.
I know you would not miss but some of us will miss. And as mentioned, a 410 is only good to ~25 yards. I suppose that a 410/22 would be just ideal, BUT NOT A BAKIEL

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.